Limited to 152 MPH??

MattMorton

Yesterday evening my buddy and I went for a ride. Me on my 13' FZ8 and he was riding his 07 Harley Night Train. We headed out to one of our favorite back roads (closed road in Mexico of course) turned down the road, which starts with about a 8 mile dead straight stretch and he got on it. So of course, I got on the throttle and blew his doors off and decided to take it a little further... She ran up past 145 pretty quickly and kept climbing slowing to 152. I really felt she had more to give and kept it wide open for probably 10 seconds at 152 but couldn't get any more. So I'm wondering. Is there a top speed limiter on the FZ8? If there is I guess i found it last night. who else has been there?

PS. My bike is bone stock except for a hacked air box.

Last edited:

HeresMyMind

yes there is. also if you unlock the ecu the rev's get raised also increasing top speed.

easiest way to increase it... change a sprocket! i may change it to get slightly better mpg because I live in the 4-8k range.

-B

Woody146

Banned
Sprocket change may get you a faster top end..but you will get there slower...yea...that's about as fast as these bikes go.,,unfortunately...they are not sportbikes....I just had my ecu reflashed and rev limiter changed..everything changed..I hit the limiter in first at 72 mph..I have not even come close to the limiter in 6th...I hit it at about 11.8 instead of 11.2 like stock..the person who tuned it said I could do about 155..we will see..fastest I have gone ( before reflash) was 134 at about 10 k

rug_burn

That's the fastest I've heard of- congratulations... I believe. Best I've done is 146, on a 1 mile straightaway, slightly uphill, leather jacket flapping like to slap the crap outa me... (on another section of that same road inMexico, of course. I weigh 200 lbs.)

b-eock

You're not limited to 152 by any means. My 2011 FZ8 would read 161 on the speedo and had a very small amount left in her. My first gear topped out at 78/79 on the speedo at redline. And yes I'm talking MPH. This was with the stock ecu, stock gearing, mivv double gun exhaust, air box mod, and a PCV. Rear tire was run about 28-30 psi. That's it performance/anything that'd affect performance wise.

I do plan on getting a 2013 when I get the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

master paper clip

You're not limited to 152 by any means. My 2011 FZ8 would read 161 on the speedo and had a very small amount left in her. My first gear topped out at 78/79 on the speedo at redline. And yes I'm talking MPH. This was with the stock ecu, stock gearing, mivv double gun exhaust, air box mod, and a PCV. Rear tire was run about 28-30 psi. That's it performance/anything that'd affect performance wise.

I do plan on getting a 2013 when I get the money.

Gotta remember that the speedo from factory is not exatly accurate

b-eock

Gotta remember that the speedo from factory is not exatly accurate

That's why I mentioned it being read off a speedo. I know its slower than that, but if it was limited to 152 MPH then my speedo wouldn't be above that at any given moment in time.

pigdog

in one of my posts i asked how fast each gear was good for & i got a lot of different answers. so i warmed up the bike & hit 70mph in 1st gear without hitting the rev limiter. in other words i chickened out. good to know though.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
Yesterday evening my buddy and I went for a ride. Me on my 13' FZ8 and he was riding his 07 Harley Night Train. We headed out to one of our favorite back roads (closed road in Mexico of course) turned down the road, which starts with about a 8 mile dead straight stretch and he got on it. So of course, I got on the throttle and blew his doors off and decided to take it a little further... She ran up past 145 pretty quickly and kept climbing slowing to 152. I really felt she had more to give and kept it wide open for probably 10 seconds at 152 but couldn't get any more. So I'm wondering. Is there a top speed limiter on the FZ8? If there is I guess i found it last night. who else has been there?

So the question no one asked...what rpm were you at?

MattMorton

Man, good question when it comes to rpm, I should have glanced over at it. I do know my bike indicates 71 mph in first on the rev limiter. Anyone getting 79 mph in first has to be way off. Either that it when my bike was indicating 152 I was really doing 170 :D lol

MattMorton

Here's a questions or thought. Perhaps the FZ8 isn't limited to indicated speed but rather a certain rpm in 6th gear. Possibly 11,000 or 11,500 rpm. What do you guys think?

pae58

European FZ8 are only limited at 11,850 rpm in all gears. But they will never reach 11,850 in the 6th (=179 mls :eek:)
In Japan all bikes and cars are speed limited by law to 110 mls. So US FZ8 also may have a speed cut at 152 mls.

Greets from Germany,
Axel

Woody146

Banned
Well..I just recently had my ecu "unlocked" USA fz8 redline at about 11.2...I had mine changed to 11.8 with reflash..bounced it at 72 in first..don't really want to try bouncing it in 6th..but I want to see top speed

decooney

... She ran up past 145 pretty quickly and kept climbing slowing to 152.

While doing some FZ8 / FZ1 comparisons recently, one researcher posted the limitation is horsepower and wind resistance. Sitting more upright on the FZ8 and lower hp is a limiting factor, whereas almost 40 more hp and a windscreen on the FZ1 allows you to cut through it a little easier. The stock FZ8 is more of an urban bike, not really designed for higher 150+ speeds like the FZ1 or R1 sport bikes. I much prefer the FZ8 for under 80mph urban riding though.