Levers, markers, fender eliminator, bike stand, manual and exhaust

RubberSideDown

For a stock 2013

Levers- Thinking of going with refurbished ASV, its a nice price point. I'm wondering how easy the swap is with the stock perch, Or if there is a more suitable brand of lever for trhe FZ8.

Markers- I will most likely stick with incadesent, what I got to thinking was to roll with some mid-high range bike master. I like the Rizoma for leds, but I dont think I want to go as far as to get a resistor. Again, ease of installation if anyone has experience.

Fender eliminator- Looking Yoshimura's way on this one, a local friend here in Oregon told me about A guy who does eliminator kits but I havent seen any FZ8s with em. What signals fit well with the Yosh? Or is that not even an issue?

Bike stand & Manual- Abba or Pitbull? Has anyone purchased a manual for their FZ8? Is it worth it?

Exhaust- This mod is the least of my priorities, along with being at least 4 0r 5 benji's I just got the beast last month and dont need the boost that the power commander/ mapping will give. In a perfect world it would be a carbon yosh, Mivv double gun or Mivv ghibli. Also Does exhaust tape really do wonders for heat/power displacement? Or does it just look sick?

Thank you to any and all, First post on here and glad to learn as much as possible!!

9 Lives

Markers- Motodynamic integrated tail light/signal lights on the rear and led on the front, I have this setup and love it. Most will say the same thing. As far as the resistors are concerned, you don't even need them, just change the flasher (plug and play).

Fender eliminator- I have the Yosi, very nice quality but a bit expensive for what it is. You can use your stock signals with it if you want, if not just remove the signal light brackets that come with it. Lots of cheaper options, guys have even modded the original tail.

I am sure others will chime in about the rest of your questions, all of these topics have been discussed in length, do some searches and the majority of your questions will be answered.

DanS

Commuter
I agree with 9 Lives, I also have the motodynamic integrated tail light with the Yoshi fender eliminator and led's up front. The Yoshimura f/e is bullet proof but way over priced for how simple it is. Get the Motodynamic tail light, bend up a piece of sheet metal, drill a couple holes, hit it with a rattle can of black paint and an led license plate mount bolt to light up your plate. I have Rizoma led's up front and they come with resistors but as 9Lives mentioned I didn't need them because Im using an aftermarket flasher relay and blinker genies. The ASV levers should fit with no trouble, easy swap. I have cheap stands that I bought on ebay and they work just fine. The service manual is a must have if you plan to do your own maintenance. I think having your headers ceramic coated would be a better option than tape. Instead of a power commander You may want to look into an ECU flash, I'm running a shorty (9") Two brothers carbon slip on with the Guhl motors ECU flash. There are numerous threads on all of these subjects here~ do some searching.
:welcome: to the forum! And keep the rubber side down ;)
led license plate light bolt | eBay
ELFR-1 Electronic LED Flasher Relay with OEM Connector | Custom LED
Blinker Genie for Run and Turn with LED Signals on Motorcycles – Custom LED
2011 2012 2013 Yamaha FZ8 Sequential LED Tail Light

Larry P

For a stock 2013

Levers- Thinking of going with refurbished ASV, its a nice price point. I'm wondering how easy the swap is with the stock perch, Or if there is a more suitable brand of lever for trhe FZ8.

Easy swap, CRG/ASV are all pretty much good brands. Some collapse if you're into that sort of thing

Markers- I will most likely stick with incadesent, what I got to thinking was to roll with some mid-high range bike master. I like the Rizoma for leds, but I dont think I want to go as far as to get a resistor. Again, ease of installation if anyone has experience.

I bought the Yamaha brand turn signals. They come with built in resistors. Very high quality. You'll pay about 80 for them but they look phenomenal. If you mix and match the tail tidy you'll need a new flasher relay. Its like $20 on ebay. They blink erratically with the OEM one.[/quote]

Fender eliminator- Looking Yoshimura's way on this one, a local friend here in Oregon told me about A guy who does eliminator kits but I havent seen any FZ8s with em. What signals fit well with the Yosh? Or is that not even an issue?

Like others mentioned, buy the motodynamic integrated tail and personally I bought this on ebay- Yamaha FZ8 FZ 8 Fender Eliminator Tail Tidy Black PL 2009 2010 2011 2012 | eBay
Custom made and works perfectly. Lifetime warranty. You'll have to buy the nuts for under the tail to hold the unit on. I recommend the nylon lock nuts from a hardware store.

Bike stand & Manual- Abba or Pitbull? Has anyone purchased a manual for their FZ8? Is it worth it?
I bought a pitbull stand for $160 that does spools and standard. It's the last stand I'll ever buy. Tons of stands out there but I want the toughest and most durable stand. I'm okay with shelling out some cash for quality. It's supposed to hold your bike up and like my helmet I want quality vs economy. Never bought the manual and I've had it for 15k miles (original owner). The owner's manual tells you when to do things and the bike is very basic to disassemble. The important tidbit it has are the torque specs for bolts which you can find online or in youtube guides. I just do basic maintenance, I let the professionals tear into the motor for valves and stuff.

Exhaust- This mod is the least of my priorities, along with being at least 4 0r 5 benji's I just got the beast last month and dont need the boost that the power commander/ mapping will give. In a perfect world it would be a carbon yosh, Mivv double gun or Mivv ghibli. Also Does exhaust tape really do wonders for heat/power displacement? Or does it just look sick?

Don't have to spend that much, I got an akra slip on (used) for $200 in the sale forum here. Keep an eye out for a good deal. Since its not a priority you should be able to scoop something nice up. Exhaust tape is helpful for heat displacement but I've never considered the FZ8 to have a lot of heat (hello from Florida)

Thank you to any and all, First post on here and glad to learn as much as possible!!
Great resource here, always ask around if you're feeling unsure about something! Welcome!

Last edited:

Sinooch

I bought the same thing. Im new to this like you are. I have only owned my bike for close to 3 months now. I bought the motodynamic integretated tail light. I absolutely love it. as for the fender eliminator. I bought some no name brand off of ebay that was adjustable so I can manually adjust the angle my license plate sits at. and as far as license plate lights, I just went to my local pep boys and bought the LED license plate bolts and I wired them in. It looks great now. As for exhaust I have not yet bought one, but I am planning on buying the mivv double gun. its the only exhaust I've found so far that gives the sound im looking for.

Larry P

Just as an FYI a lot of those cheaper brand LED turn signals start to turn amber and draw humidity inside over time. Motodynamic tail is sealed nice and tight :D

HeresMyMind

Larry is right, they do have a higher rate of failure with moisture. But for the $ I couldnt beat them, the motodynamic tail is the best bet.

-B

DanS

Commuter
I bought the Yamaha brand turn signals. They come with built in resistors. Very high quality. You'll pay about 80 for them but they look phenomenal.

The Yamaha LED signals do look amazing and are very bright. I loved them for a year and a half!.... They took on moisture and then the bulbs started burning out :mad:
Just replaced them this past weekend with the Rizomas. Hope they last!
Hopefully yours are sealed better than mine were!

tzortn

Pillion
Levers: JPR (YAMAHA ADJUSTABLE SHORTY LEVER SET). Less expensive than ASV or Pazzo and made in the US. They were a direct install that look about 15 minutes.

Fender eliminator: Evotech fender eliminator (Yamaha FZ8N Tail Tidy | Motorcycle Parts | Buy Yamaha Spares). I bought mine on on ebay. It was easy to install and uses the stock lights. it is also sturdy enough to strap my tail bag to it.

Bike stand: I like the forward handle Pitbull stand that I have (Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Spooled Forward Handle Rear Stand). The stand is as solid as can be and will last many lifetimes, but I stalled a center stand and I think that I find that a little easier to use.

Manual: Personally I think that a detailed shop manual is worth the cost. I purchased an electronic version from TechSpark studios (Yamaha FZ8). It was $15 very well spent. It is extremely detailed and easy to navigate electronically.