Let's talk tank bags.

evan1

The FZ8's unusual tank design is one of the things that drew me to it. It was clearly designed with aggressive lines in mind.

But it seems that it was not designed for tank bags. Am I wrong? Having been looking at buying a tank bag for several days now, I haven't seen one that made me say "that would perform well and look good on my FZ8."

People seem more concerned now with paint-scratching magnets than I recall in years past. I hear a lot about Givi's caplock bag, but to me, it just looks odd perched on the tank.

I've got an Ogio tail bag on its way and I'm looking forward to seeing well or poorly that works. I'm optimistic from reports I've heard. And I haven't given up on the idea of a tank bag, just maybe need to see some more examples.

Thoughts?

DanS

Commuter
The FZ8's unusual tank design is one of the things that drew me to it. It was clearly designed with aggressive lines in mind.

But it seems that it was not designed for tank bags. Am I wrong? Having been looking at buying a tank bag for several days now, I haven't seen one that made me say "that would perform well and look good on my FZ8."

People seem more concerned now with paint-scratching magnets than I recall in years past. I hear a lot about Givi's caplock bag, but to me, it just looks odd perched on the tank.

I've got an Ogio tail bag on its way and I'm looking forward to seeing well or poorly that works. I'm optimistic from reports I've heard. And I haven't given up on the idea of a tank bag, just maybe need to see some more examples.

Thoughts?
I have an inexpensive cycle gear magnetic tank bag. I used it daily on my last bike and it did scratch the hell out of the tank. Every day I would clean the tank and bottom of the bag and over the course of a year my tank looked like crap! I still have it but only use it on rare occasions and on very short trips.

Perron

I don't have picture of it on my bike, but my tank bag is a Bags-Connection (quick-lock) and it looks good. There are about 3 or 4 size that fits our bike without looking wierd:

FZ8 '11-'13 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

Looks like that:

Blinkgold311

I have the Yamaha FZ8 tank bag and it works great. Put my phone or gps on the front for accurate speed all the time, plus keep some cold weather gear in there just in case.

Danger

I have the ICON Urban tank bag. Awesome as far as fit and room (I'll get a pic soon), but the magnets do make short work of the paint job.

tzortn

Pillion
I use a Nelson Riggs magnetic tank bag. I bought some shelf liner ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Square-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367207398&sr=8-1&keywords=shelf+liner]Amazon.com: Duck 1100731 Non-Adhesive Select Easy Shelf Liner, Jumbo Roll, 12-Inch Wide, 20-Square-Feet, Taupe: Home & Kitchen[/ame]) and cut it out to match the shape of my bag. It worked like a charm. After using it a couple times it started too stick to the bag enough so it stays in place when I put the bag on. It was a cheap investment in my opinion.

tiki

I have one of the smaller Givi bags with the tanklock. It doesn't look as streamlined but it works fine for me.

clemmel

I've got the larger Givi Tanklock bag and while it doesn't exactly flow with the lines of the bike, it's stable and very functional. When you are sitting on the bike anyway, it sits in the void between your arms and in front of your torso anyway.

My only grip is the preformed spot in the cover of it for a GPS unit. It would be nice if it was completely smooth and flat. Otherwise, the expansion on it is nice if you need to pack more into it as well.

charris247

I just recently bought the Givi TPH02 Tanklock bag and love it. I have a top case so I really just wanted a smaller bag to hold my wallet, phone, DSLR and other small incidentals I wanted out of my pocket.

It takes two minutes to install and I think it looks great. Not sure what you are wanting to use it for, but this is one of the smaller bags (probably can fit 5 water bottles.

http://www.giviusa.com/img/54926-o-fl-71790/Tank-bags.jpg

http://www.giviusa.com/img/54926-r-fl-57604/Tank-bags.jpg

(This pic from the Givi website has it on the FZ8 which was great)

evan1

I just recently bought the Givi TPH02 Tanklock bag and love it. I have a top case so I really just wanted a smaller bag to hold my wallet, phone, DSLR and other small incidentals I wanted out of my pocket.

It takes two minutes to install and I think it looks great. Not sure what you are wanting to use it for, but this is one of the smaller bags (probably can fit 5 water bottles.

http://www.giviusa.com/img/54926-o-fl-71790/Tank-bags.jpg

http://www.giviusa.com/img/54926-r-fl-57604/Tank-bags.jpg

(This pic from the Givi website has it on the FZ8 which was great)

That does look really nice. Seems to go with the FZ8 much better than other Givis I've seen. Makes me wish I still used an iPhone!

HeadFX

I have the Bags Connection quick lock too, and I can vouch for ease of fitting and convenience, I had it on my R1 before the FZ, and just needed a new tank ring for it to fit the new bike.

I also have a Bagster Tank cover and tank bag for bigger trips. I bought the tank cover before deciding on the tank bag because the paint work is nice and shiny and I'm a clumsy oaf :) I'm not totally happy with the tank bag itself as it makes walking the bike around quite awkward in tight spaces. But I do like the flip-up effect to make it easy to refuel ;)