LED lighting, on a naked bike.

HeresMyMind

I did white on my FZ8 this week. 4 12" strips under the rear tail, and 2 4" under the radiator in the front. There isnt a lot of room on the sides or underside to light up the engine bay. If you have a lower fairing cover near the radiator you can put them there. I hooked them up to the stock running lights rear to the rear wire to the tail light, and the front to the running light connectors from the blinker/running lights.

The white doesn't look right to me, so I am switching it all to Rear.

-B

(total cost 15$ for LED strips, 3$ wire, 3$ for bullet connectors)

OLD white lighting
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd....3_10152458250722110_8475724137946611443_o.jpg

New lighting

Last edited:

HeresMyMind

I though about it and looked around, There isn't a way to put it there without it being visible from the front. I like them being as hidden as possible.

-B

BigD

I did white on my FZ8 this week. 4 12" strips under the rear tail, and 2 4" under the radiator in the front. There isnt a lot of room on the sides or underside to light up the engine bay. If you have a lower fairing cover near the radiator you can put them there. I hooked them up to the stock running lights rear to the rear wire to the tail light, and the front to the running light connectors from the blinker/running lights.

The white doesn't look right to me, so I am switching it all to Rear.

-B

(total cost 15$ for LED strips, 3$ wire, 3$ for bullet connectors)

did you put an in-line fuse within the circuit? or switched so can run without if wanted also?

HeresMyMind

There was no need for a fuse, they hook up to stock running light wires that already have the fuse in the main box.

It would be VERY simple to put a switch in, I made them run as long as the bike is on. The more visability the better in my opinion. White/red/orange are the only legal colors in Connecticut to do this with aslong as they arnt flashing, and aslong as the red is NOT forward facing

-Branden

HeresMyMind

Front - I soldered wire to make the wire itself long enough. The positive wires i put bullet connectors on to clip right into the stock location. (I put LED front blinkers which don't have running lights). The negative wire from the headlight harness i stripped and soldered a 2" wire to it, and heat shrunk the connection. I then added a bullet connector to that, and one to the negative from the led lights.

The rear running lights had a long enough wire to reach up the the stock 10" wire strip from the tail light wires (the tail light side of the harness). I soldered and heat shrunk another 2" set of wires with bullet connectors for the LEDS to connect to the stock wires.

This allows me to EASILY remove any of it, (which I plan on doing this week to switch to RED leds)

If anyone is local they are more than welcome to check them out and For a beer I'll do the install!

-B

Mikz86ta

Old thread I know..... :)

But anyone else do this? I did my girls R6 and want my all black bike to gain some night visibility. Hard to decide on a color but white or blue. Unfortunately blue may get me pulled over. I did some small Amber for running lamps under the headlamp. I have Rizoma front LED turn signals and no running lamps up there. So I did the LED Cyclops light mod and those Amber strips.
Kinda thinking of doing a strip under headlamp as a different color, strip like this guy did in radiator area and the undertail strip.