LED headlight

AndyS

Banned
There is a guy on the other forum who has just done this mod.

EC - LED Headlight Bulb - H4 High/Low

Works real well and for the price, can't be beat.
He has a bunch of pics of the install. Says it took less than 30 mins.
I'd post the link but I was told that it gets deleted if I do that.
So if you want to see it, just do a search I guess.

Im going to buy it for sure

Tix

Rabbit,

Since you do a lot of retrofits (sarcasm :p ) do you know if there is a reflector made that can better aim the LED light?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Rabbit,

Since you do a lot of retrofits (sarcasm :p ) do you know if there is a reflector made that can better aim the LED light?

No sarcasm needed, I do in fact do a lot of retrofits. Name of the game when you own a business doing that. Right now, I don't know of any LED projectors that are available that aren't OEM, and I don't think you want to know what it would cost to get a hold of a Lexus or Mercedes Projector.

AndyS

Banned
The HIDs are cool, but the cost and ease and speed of install makes the LED a better choice in my opinion

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
The HIDs are cool, but the cost and ease and speed of install makes the LED a better choice in my opinion

How so? From the kits that I have seen, you're just shy of $100. Being that they aren't much of an upgrade from halogen, I think they still have a way to go to be comparable to HID.

AndyS

Banned
How so? From the kits that I have seen, you're just shy of $100. Being that they aren't much of an upgrade from halogen, I think they still have a way to go to be comparable to HID.

Look at the post on the dude on the other forum. Significant upgrade from halogen.
I'm not saying the HID is no good, just for the money, the fact that this is 20 min job and you dont have to send your headlight away, the LED appears to be a good upgrade.
His pics in the daylight and at night are proof that its brighter, much brighter

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Look at the post on the dude on the other forum. Significant upgrade from halogen.
I'm not saying the HID is no good, just for the money, the fact that this is 20 min job and you dont have to send your headlight away, the LED appears to be a good upgrade.
His pics in the daylight and at night are proof that its brighter, much brighter

From what I see, it is typically about a 300-500 lumen increase from halogen to LED. I don't have a way to see what this other person posted, but all I know is without a way to focus the light, it is still getting into the issue that a HID bulb kit will run into. They are too bright to be used with a halogen housing, therefore blinding oncoming traffic.

It is extremely frustrating to have to deal with this, and everyone can argue all they want about "it makes me more visible" or "Who cares", it just isn't safe, and borderline negligent.

I would love to see LED technology improve to the point that it is a great option, I think it will get there, just going to take some time. At this point, it doesn't seem any better than putting a HID bulb in a halogen reflector.

pastasauce

Thanks for using my bike on your main page! :cool::D

No sarcasm needed, I do in fact do a lot of retrofits. Name of the game when you own a business doing that. Right now, I don't know of any LED projectors that are available that aren't OEM, and I don't think you want to know what it would cost to get a hold of a Lexus or Mercedes Projector.

BigD

Healight Mod

Hey

I too am looking to partake in a little head light modding..

Is there a recommended contact in the UK for such an HID mod or?

cheers

HeresMyMind

Deff go with a true retrofit. LEDs may be brighter, but the output wont be spread right, and it will blind oncoming, it may not even put the bright light on the road where you need it. Just go with a real retrofit. if you are willing to spend 100's on an exhaust 200$ or less on a headlight should be more than affordable!

-B

dtbrown

I've had bi-xenon HID for over a year and it's pretty good (better than stock) but when you go to high beam it doesn't illuminate lower beam as much. I'm going to order this LED kit because it's two LED's one for high and one for low. I'll probably post results when install is complete. I expect better results.

Retrofit is probably the best light beam but to costly IMO.

2X H4 9003 HB2 High Power COB LED High Low Headlight 40W Light Bulb Xenon White | eBay

There is a guy on the other forum who has just done this mod.

EC - LED Headlight Bulb - H4 High/Low

Works real well and for the price, can't be beat.
He has a bunch of pics of the install. Says it took less than 30 mins.
I'd post the link but I was told that it gets deleted if I do that.
So if you want to see it, just do a search I guess.

Im going to buy it for sure

HeresMyMind

a bixenon projector with HID, wouldnt lose any low beam power, since the bulb and projector dont move.... the shield does that just lets more light escape... you must have a PnP Hid kit.

Leds will NOT fix this i guarantee it.

You will find out the hard way.

Rabbit: Side not: you can find acura LED headlamps and the prius ones for relatively cheap, but they are way to large for 90% of bikes because of their heat sinks and power modules. I've held one and they are big and heavy and bulky.

-B