Learned something new...

ramrod

While at a MSF Sports bike Riders Course, I learned that the appropriate way to turn off the motorcycle is through the key switch vice the kill switch because using the kill switch hurts the bike... I just don't see this.

I've been riding for a long time now and how I was taught from my pops when I was younger was to always use the kill switch, then turn the key. I don't even recall them going over this in the MSF Basic Riders Course.

How do you guys turn off your bike? Any reasoning for using once vs the other?

Last edited:
F

Fazed

I turn it off through the key not the kill switch. My reasoning is that the kill switch is (in my opinion) is not as heavy duty as the ignition barrel and is only designed for occasional use. Also you have to move the key anyway to move it to the lock position.

Glovik

I was always told to use the kill switch. That way, when you turn the bike on, you turn the key, put both hands on bars, grab clutch, click switch and hit engine. That way, no way of hitting the ignition button while sitting there resetting your odometer after getting gas or something while you're waiting for a buddy to finish topping off.

Just something that stuck with me, but anymore I'm clicking that switch before the key turn to prime that gas. Most people I know use the key or their kickstand.

I will say I've left my key in the ignition probably 3-4 times this year, one time being a whole day sitting out in my apartment complex. Scary shit. Luckally I didn't notice until I saw the key so I wasn't panicking all day out of town. That alone probably is a strong reason to use the key lol.

C

calscrazy

key!! my kill switch stays in the on/run position. was about 400 miles from home one time when that switch took a dump on me. i guess since then i have always though if its gonna fail hopefully it will at least fail in the on/run position. sure it sounds stupid but being stranded was not much fun either.

compensation

I use the kickstand mostly then key then kill switch. I have been stranded because i started using a kill switch on a old bike. Key is probably the best way overall on shutting the bike off.

V

Vapordan

It's a scare tactic at most and a talking point at best. These things aren't brittle. Any one will work, key, switch kickstand for the projected life of the vehicle. When I'm extremely extremely lazy or sore from a long ride, I squeeze the front brake and dump the clutch. Cant get anymore lazy than that. :D

Guillaume

I lay the bike on its side, no headaches, the lean angle detector does the job.
The advantage is that I'm never worried about my baby being tipped over by some dumb*ss; and I get a morning workout.
Plus it saves the kickstand from getting used too much; which is much better for resale value.

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
Use either or. But I'm surprised they are teaching using the key first...??? Safer to have BOTH hands on the bars of a running motorcycle. ;) Every bike I have ever owned, I have used the kill switch.

n00b

Avid Rider
I use the kill switch. I just like getting used to hitting it by habit to kill the engine - one day it may come in handy

highoctane

Canyon Carver
It's a scare tactic at most and a talking point at best. These things aren't brittle. Any one will work, key, switch kickstand for the projected life of the vehicle. When I'm extremely extremely lazy or sore from a long ride, I squeeze the front brake and dump the clutch. Cant get anymore lazy than that. :D

Sounds like when i'm in my beater car. I also use the kill switch

F

Fazed

The advantage is that I'm never worried of my baby being tipped over by some dumb*ss and I get a morning workout.
Plus it saves the kickstand from getting used to much; which much better for resale value.

Haha

Glovik

The advantage is that I'm never worried of my baby being tipped over by some dumb*ss and I get a morning workout.
Plus it saves the kickstand from getting used to much; which much better for resale value.

Love this! Read it about 5 times rofl

D

DJK1505

I use any method I am thinking about when I want to turn it off. Kill switch usually, then turn the key and take the key out. If your kill switch goes bad on the road, you should have all the tools in your tool bag to take it out, and jump it out. Very easy to do, I have never had an issue with mine, but have been with a few guys that had issues. Guess the lesson here is, always carry a few tools with you when you go on long trips.

DJ

C

Camo

Turn key for bike on. Kickstand up.
Turn key for bike off. Kickstand down.

I just keep it simple and routine so I don't do anything stupid like...jump off without putting the stand down ;)