Leaking radiator fluid..

Gusm91

OK guys, so I just did my 600 mile service and the radiator fluid was changed. I noticed that same day in my garage that there was a small puddle of radiator fluid on the floor. Today I noticed the same thing again. It looks as if its coming from the overflow hoses. When I stand the bike up straight the fluid is over the full line indicated on the radiator reservoir. Is this just an overfill issue that's not a big deal or is this something much more serious like a head gasket problem? Thanks again guys!

9 Lives

You did the service yourself or it was done at the dealership? There is no reason to change the antifreeze during the first service. If they did it at the dealership, take it back to them. If you did it, recheck everything you touched on the coolant system. You need to find out exactly where the coolant is coming from in order to diagnose the problem. How overfull is the overflow tank? Just a bit overfull is OK, but if its near the top of the tank it will overflow when the engine warms up.

Kardiac996

Is the fluid color coolant only? or does it look like a mixture with oil. If its just coolant then you can rule out the head gasket and probably a misconnect somewhere in the system or a seap from pressure on the end of a line into a connector.

But the coolant didnt need to be changed at that service interval and would bring it up to the dealer if they performed the service.

9 Lives

Is the fluid color coolant only? or does it look like a mixture with oil. If its just coolant then you can rule out the head gasket and probably a misconnect somewhere in the system or a seap from pressure on the end of a line into a connector.

But the coolant didnt need to be changed at that service interval and would bring it up to the dealer if they performed the service.

You have never seen a head gasket that only leaks coolant? I have seen quite a few. A head gasket can just leak oil, coolant or compression and any combination there of. I highly doubt that is his problem but just because its only leaking coolant does not rule out a head gasket.

Gusm91

Well I did not do it at the dealer...I had a shop do it for me. I think he replaced or maybe just filled up the fluid...idk I have to call and check

Gusm91

SO it was my fault he replaced the radiator fluid. I asked him to do it because I thought it was part of the 600 mile service....He did tell me that I don't need to do it but since I thought it was part of the service I requested he do it. Anyways, I called him and let him know the issue. He replied to saying it is most likely because we overfilled the fluid and it is the bikes way of topping itself out by spitting it out through the hose. He also told me to bring it in to be on the safe side. SO my question is, if the fluid is overfilled is it normal for it to spit out any excess through the hose?

Last edited:

Kardiac996

You have never seen a head gasket that only leaks coolant? I have seen quite a few. A head gasket can just leak oil, coolant or compression and any combination there of. I highly doubt that is his problem but just because its only leaking coolant does not rule out a head gasket.

Yea this is true. I guess the only times I have ever seen a head gasket go its had a mixture.

9 Lives

SO it was my fault he replaced the radiator fluid. I asked him to do it because I thought it was part of the 600 mile service....He did tell me that I don't need to do it but since I thought it was part of the service I requested he do it. Anyways, I called him and let him know the issue. He replied to saying it is most likely because we overfilled the fluid and it is the bikes way of topping itself out by spitting it out through the hose. He also told me to bring it in to be on the safe side. SO my question is, if the fluid is overfilled is it normal for it to spit out any excess through the hose?

Yes, there is an overflow hose at the top of the expansion tank which is routed out down by your kick stand, if this is where the antifreeze is coming from, then the tank was overfilled. It would have had to have been quite full, there is plenty of room for expansion above the full line.

Last edited:

9 Lives

I just thought of something, I wonder if they filled up the expansion tank with the bike on its side stand, if so it would have been way overfull. I would also check your oil level in case that's the way they checked the oil level also. The bike has to level when checking fluid levels, preferably on a stand, I have the center stand installed on mine so checking levels is easy.

Last edited: