Leaking oil after crash, help identifying part

bornIIloose

Hi everyone,

I hit a deer last night doing 30-35mph and went down. I had the bar end slider things so the damage isn't catastrophic, but I am leaking oil on the left side only when the bike runs. Can someone let me know exactly what part this is that appears to be the source? With all the bolts in tact I'm thinking I can replace it myself fairly easily. I really appreciate the help!IMG_2060.JPGIMG_2061.JPG

Bagman

take a bit of brake clean on a rag and clean the area really well that will help identify the leak.

Do this. From the photos provided, it's impossible for us to tell. Once thoroughly cleaned, you're much more likely to identify the source. Heck, once you get on all 4s and start to clean you may spot the source. Once you see the source, take a better photo and I am sure the forum can better assist then.

jukemike1

there's an o ring behind that cover, try tightening it slightly if that doesn't work take it in. mine leaked from 400+ miles. IDK whats behind it but the dealer said he had a hard time keeping it tight

9 Lives

That is your alternator cover, read the manual if you plan on fixing it yourself. The stator is bolted to the cover via the three bolts around the plug, the plug is there so you can keep the magnetic rotor in place while installing the cover. Personally I would replace the cover, plug, o-ring and gasket. You can buy a couple of long bolts the same thread size as the ones that hold on the cover, cut the heads off them and use them as guide pins. This will keep the gasket in place and line everything up when you reinstall the cover.

Last edited: