Leaking Gold!

Yamacat1000

Does anyone elses bike leak fuel from the vent hose when sitting in the sun? I understand a little bit is not uncommon but my bike steadily leaves about a quarter sized wet spot on the ground... tried collecting it in a ratio right but you guessed it, it evaporated before I could take note... With fuel prices nearing 4USD per gallon, I would like to get it stopped. Unless its normal. Its my '11 FZ8 California model

H

Hoover

Gas expands in the heat. I never fill my tank to the brim in the summer months.
What you are seeing is the fuel expanding and creeping up the sides of the tank, then seeping into the neck where the overflow line is.
Not a huge deal, but that's what it is.

Coolslice

I noticed this on mine too. I've never seen that much leak from a bike before. I understand why it does it, but it seems a little excessive to me.

It might be wise to be mindful of people smoking in close proximity to the parked FZ8 on hot days. There was definitely enough gas leaking and vaporizing from mine to be a fire hazard.

D

DJK1505

I know its a pain, but if you popped your cap open before you got off, wouldn't it stop the overflow? I have a tank bag on mine, so if I popped the cap I would just put the bag over it so it didn't show. Then when I got back on just push it closed and off you go. Not sure if this would alleviate the issues or not.

DJ

Yamacat1000

Gas expands in the heat. I never fill my tank to the brim in the summer months.
What you are seeing is the fuel expanding and creeping up the sides of the tank, then seeping into the neck where the overflow line is.
Not a huge deal, but that's what it is.

Correct, I understand the principals behind it and behind the vent. However, the first day I had the bike before I put any fuel in it (4.2gallons when i did) it was still dripping a sufficient amount on the ground. I would have thought with almost no fuel it wouldn't have been dripping. As long as its normal ill turn a blind eye. Maybe Ill have my dealer call Yamaha and talk to :drunks:them.

TeleRob

what kind of heat are you guys riding in, this time of year?
I've not noticed any puddles from mine. I'll take it out and come back with a full tank and park it hot in the garage. doesn't even smell like gas out there.
Maybe I should pay attention, but I don't think its normal.

What kind of gas are you using?

D

Deleted member 438

I believe it's normal because the two Hondas that I owned did it. I owned a gsxr for one season, but I guess I did not own it long enough to notice it.

Yamacat1000

what kind of heat are you guys riding in, this time of year?
I've not noticed any puddles from mine. I'll take it out and come back with a full tank and park it hot in the garage. doesn't even smell like gas out there.
Maybe I should pay attention, but I don't think its normal.

What kind of gas are you using?

Its not been any warmer than 70 degrees F. Ive never noticed it dripping while riding. I run 88 or 90 octane.
I left it in the shop where I work for a few days, doesnt get below 50. I set a ratio right under the vent hose and checked it daily...no drips. Seems to only be when it sits directly in the sunlight so maybe it is normal? :confused:

TeleRob

Ah yeah the sun. Sorry missed that point :)

Maybe I'll repurpose my old windshield sun shield from my pickup. It's reflective and I could lay it over the tank on sunny days.

Coolslice

Yeah, I think it was upper 70's when mine was leaking. With a full tank in the 90+ degree days, I think it will be a gusher. I'm sure it is worse with the more gas you have in the tank.

It's funny, because I used to really be into ATV's and I had a Yamaha Grizzly 700. Yamaha had been fighting issues with boiling gas on their grizzly line for a few years because they had basically put the tank too close to the engine and did not allow enough ventilation around the area, so the only place the heat had to go was up. The gas got so hot that it would actually boil in the tank. It was never comforting to know you had 4 gallons of boiling gas between your legs.

ibeme1

I know its a pain, but if you popped your cap open before you got off, wouldn't it stop the overflow? I have a tank bag on mine, so if I popped the cap I would just put the bag over it so it didn't show. Then when I got back on just push it closed and off you go. Not sure if this would alleviate the issues or not.

DJ

DJ,

I definitely do not recommend leaving your gas cap open at all, because the ethanol in fuel attracts moisture into your gas. Within 2 weeks (probably earlier) your fuel will begin to go through phase seperation.
*Juuuust in case you dont know what this means: Phase seperation means the water/ethanol in your gas will seperate from the gas and then drop to the bottom of your fuel tank. Ethanol is corrosive so it can (more then likely will) clog up/damage your fuel system.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Yamacat1000

Yeah, I think it was upper 70's when mine was leaking. With a full tank in the 90+ degree days, I think it will be a gusher. I'm sure it is worse with the more gas you have in the tank.

It's funny, because I used to really be into ATV's and I had a Yamaha Grizzly 700. Yamaha had been fighting issues with boiling gas on their grizzly line for a few years because they had basically put the tank too close to the engine and did not allow enough ventilation around the area, so the only place the heat had to go was up. The gas got so hot that it would actually boil in the tank. It was never comforting to know you had 4 gallons of boiling gas between your legs.

Yeah, I have installed the update bulletins on a lot of those. Mostly 2008's. Did you have stator issues? I thought of this too when I saw my FZ leaking, but I think if there is a defect it would require replacement of the tank. I havent researched it much yet.. too busy with spring time rush

Coolslice

Yeah, I have installed the update bulletins on a lot of those. Mostly 2008's. Did you have stator issues? I thought of this too when I saw my FZ leaking, but I think if there is a defect it would require replacement of the tank. I havent researched it much yet.. too busy with spring time rush

No. I never had any issue other than it just randomly dying at slow speeds after some spirited riding. It only did it a couple of times, and I didn't really see it as a problem.

mano1192

We should be happy we have metal tanks, the Ducs have plastic tanks and the ethenol makes the tanks warp! Huge class action lawsuit was settled a couple months ago on this.

Back to the gas heating up, this is normal and is what happens when the gas expasnds in the heat, just keep your tank about 3/4 full or less and it wont expand up that high to overflow. Try living in vegas, this happens to me all the time out here...

DJ,

I definitely do not recommend leaving your gas cap open at all, because the ethanol in fuel attracts moisture into your gas. Within 2 weeks (probably earlier) your fuel will begin to go through phase seperation.
*Juuuust in case you dont know what this means: Phase seperation means the water/ethanol in your gas will seperate from the gas and then drop to the bottom of your fuel tank. Ethanol is corrosive so it can (more then likely will) clog up/damage your fuel system.

Hope this helps :)

Yamacat1000

Welp, I went south this weekend. It was about 82..full, empty or in between it dripped as long as it wasnt running. Kind of stumped. But my mileage per gallon didnt seem to be affected, not enough to be worried.

G Chase

Pillion
Dealer says 'normal' but anoying/embarrasing just the same...

My FZ8 drips a few drops of gas (condensed vapor?) onto the driveway if left in the sun usually when the tank is more that 3/4 full and the weather is warm. Not so much when it's cold out. Dealer says normal. This bike has more normal "bugs" than I'd prefer. I like the bike just the same.

DLSGAP

Mine has sat out in plenty of 90° + days since I got her a few weeks back... no fuel leakage .
it was 97 today... nothing

DLSGAP

Tried to recreate your scenario. Realized I never park with a full tank. Filled her up at lunch and she sat in the 100° heat for 3 hours. Half dollar sized spot under drain and the tank level dropped about 1/4"