Knowledge please!

S

Shock

So I like the look of wrapped headers however I got to thinking about powder coating. Has anyone powder coated the pipes and how did it hold up?

ssky0078

I did some investigation in to this as I like the look of wrapped pipes as well. I met a guy that wrapped his GSXR600, he said about after a year the pipes cracked and he had to have them replaced. He said a better option is to ceramic coat them.

I believe about 2 weeks ago a poster on here put up something about ceramic coating causing an increase in hp by 10hp but this was never confirmed.

When I save up the scratch I'm going with a black ceramic coating.

i have mine wrapped and havn't had any problems yet been almost 2 years now. tho i do have a extra set of fz8 oem headers and i might de-cat and get ceramic coated because all the hp gains (if it adds any) and the lower temps. coating from what i read is alot better then wraped. the best way is a ceramic coating and a wrap.

Takdogg

Jet-Hot

I too thought the headers would look awesome either wrapped or coated. After searching the forums and looking at the photos, I opted to get them ceramic coated at Jet-Hot. They just shipped them back, so I'm still waiting for them to arrive. I'm skeptical of any increases in Hp but I did it more for looks. Also decided to break down and fork out the money for a PCV, Autotune and AIS block off plates. Figured the colder months are the best time for the upgrades.

C

calscrazy

I coated the ones on my monster and rode 5 years with no problems.

D

DJK1505

After a bit of time your pipes do start to rust under the wrap. I rewrap mine about every year, the wrap starts to fade, or it gets torn, or just looks dirty, wrap is cheap and is simple to do. Ceramic coating is usually much more expensive. Get your header off, paint it with exhaust paint, let it dry, then go to town with some exhaust wrap. Remember if you are wrapping it, start from the rear and wrap forward!!!!!!!!

DJ

SpunkyTheTuna

Powder coating won't stay on the header pipes cuz they get hotter than the melt temp of powder coat. Ceramic coating works great, though. It's a bit more expensive but it's bulletproof. Keeps the heat inside the pipes to keep up the flow rate and won't trap water and oxidize the pipes like wrap will.

I've used Jet-Hot Coatings will great success for a long time and recommend them for ceramic coat.

Motogpmad

I just fitted my ceramic coated headers yesterday. I haven't had chance to test them yet re: performance but they look good and will last forever. Different companies ceramic coat headers differently. We shot blast the pipes first with a really coarse media. Then we aluminium spray the whole system, then a ceramic coat is applied, then another aluminium coat, then a high temp paint is applied for the color. The only corrosion you will get will be from the inside but that will take years. I ran my bike for 5 minutes yesterday until the pipes got really hot. Turned the engine off and within 2 mins i could touch the pipes with my hand. This is one of the main reason rally cars and other sports cars have the headers and other engine parts done. so they can work on the cars quickly between stage's / races. Also to reduce engine bay tempts for better performance. Im hoping for a slight performance/ power gain, although not as much as i first predicted. Engines over 500 bhp will have around 10% power increase using ceramics on the headers.

As mentioned, powder coat will be no good due to the high temperatures. We cure powdercoat at around 180 to 200 degrees. Reheating it to higher temps will make it brittle and chip off. There is a powder called Firetech which is specially designed for exhausts but your best to go with ceramic.