K&N air filter = air box gap?

onesonofamitch

I just installed a K&N air filter and when I went to start tightening all the screws back down, I noticed a gap at the front end of the air box. Its fairly small, less than 1/16", but it is big enough for some tiny particle to go through and make its way straight into the motor.

I reread the instructions 10 times and repeated everything to make sure something wasn't in the way, or the grooves weren't lining up and no matter what I do, its still just a hair too tall. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but has anyone else noticed something like this?

I'll more than likely just go and pick up some closed cell foam to run around the perimeter of the box, but it seems like for a $40 air filter this should fit without modification.

Thanks in advance for your input. This community has lead me to some awesome info and it is greatly appreciated.

Umyaya

This may sound dumb but are you sure the filter is in the right way? Both ways fit but one way does leave some gap..

vhutch

I agree with Umyaya , the wrong way will leave a few mm gap , try to flip it over and it should seal up for you. I had the same issue !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onesonofamitch

This may sound dumb but are you sure the filter is in the right way? Both ways fit but one way does leave some gap..

That was the first thing I thought I did, maybe it was upside down or I had the grooves not lining up, but after going through the steps over and over again I kept on having the same outcome. I'm going to feel to incredibly stupid if I go back, and on my 11th try it all fits... but maybe thats what I should do.
I assuming you had no such issue Mr. Umyaya?

Umyaya

Correct. I put all the outside screws in first on the cover before the middle one that screws into that metal frame that holds the filter in place. I think the side with the thicker bottom goes down.

If you had it right I'm sure it's okay and that small of a hole won't matter. Post pic?

Last edited: