K&N air box tune?

jtackerman28

Hello all.
I've done some research and havent found alot about the tuning done after an air box mod.

back ground:picked up this fz8 4 months ago and have just been getting used to it so far and love it,currently it has a two bros exhaust and a pcv on it and has been dyon tuned by the previous ower i have the dyon sheet that came with it.

I want to do the air box mod that ive seen and air filter to 1 get a little more air flowing in 2. to get rid of that annoying popping on decel.

my major question is should i have it retuned when i get it done or should it be okay the way it is?

if i missed anything feel free ask or call me stupid im new to motorcycle but have a good mechanical and automotive background thanks all

Keach

Couple ways you can go. First to address the decel popping you need to disable your AIS. The air filter and airbox mod won't address that. A few ways to disable it. The cheapest is to plug the hose that runs into the bottom of the airbox supplying the ais with fresh air. You can use a number of things. When I had mine plugged I used a wire nut shoved into the hose. Worked great. Many people use plugs from hardware stores. You can also remove the ais all together and purchase block off plates. If you have your ecu flashed, most flashes electronically disable the ais so you don't even need to plug it, decel popping will be gone after the flash.

As for the filter and airbox mod many guys with pcvs are running jumbos map which I believe was tuned with air filter and airbox mod plus slip on. It's always better to have your bike tuned on a dyno but most guys use a tune from someone that dynoed the bike with similar modifications rather than paying for dyno time. The airbox mod is debatable when it comes to benefits. Some guys like it some guys hated it. Personally I trimmed an opening rather than cutting the whole bottom out. I did not notice a gain in performance with the kn filter and airbox trimmed. The flash gave me some noticeable benefits and the r6 throttle tube was a great mod too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Keach

Is the popping bad for the bike in any way or just annoying?

It is not bad for the bike. The AIS is an emission system. Basically as I understand it the system injects air I to the exhaust system to burn unburnt gas hence the popping. It also assists the cat in reaching operating temperature sooner.

I think most people get rid of it cause the popping annoys them...I for one actually miss it since my ecu flash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flip

I love the popping!! Sounds like a race car, I think I'm in the minority on this though cause everyone wants rid of it.

Sinooch

I love the popping!! Sounds like a race car, I think I'm in the minority on this though cause everyone wants rid of it.

Im with you. I love the popping sound. I just got my ecu flashed and im already slightly upset there will be no popping when my bike is put back together. Thats how i used to let my friends no that i arrived. i would speed up coming down the street and let the bike pop. It was a little obnoxious and eccentric but fun none the less.

FZ82011

I also agree the popping is awesome and so do a lot of the guys I ride with. When you're riding through a village with buildings close together or a tunnel it always puts a smile on my face. Saying that all the people that are turning around or looking at my bike as I ride by don't seem to be smiling, no idea why!!!hahaha!!! I had the danmoto XG1 slip on, now have a full akrapovic system which has destroyed the booming but obviously other advantages.

Lambo

I have the two bros black series slip on and wow does it pop on decel. Pipe is LOUD. I for one love it thought...