Just took my first ride. Impressions/questions.

Darksabre

So, after taking the MSF course, and getting my M endorsement, I figured I had better get on this thing and ride it!

It was dusk, and the sun was quickly setting, but I figured, "hey, drivers should be able to see me even better with headlights/brakelights at night, right?" :eek:

The bike was nearly on empty when I bought it, so I figured a trip to the gas station was a good first mission. I started her up, let it warm up while I put on all my gear, and carefully walked her down the driveway past our two parked cars (tight fit). It was time...I let the clutch out a bit...and I was off :eek:.

First thing I noticed: the throttle is pretty touchy. I've been driving manuals for quite a while, so I expected a little jumpiness and engine braking during throttle on/off transitions, but it was a lot more exaggerated on a smaller machine for sure. Keeping it smooth is going to take some practice. It felt like I was barely moving the throttle, but it was still jerky. Shifting is also hard to do smoothly. There's always a little jerk as I let out the clutch.

The brakes are so much more powerful/sensitive than the Yamaha dualsport I rode in the MSF course that it's not even funny. This is probably a good thing, and I just need to get used to the feel of them.

I found that I could not sit in any comfortable way where my right foot was resting over the rear brake lever, but not pressing it down any. My 'at rest' position was with the brake lever pressed in enough to make the brake light come on. :( Obviously, this is no good. How do you guys rest your feet on the pegs when you ride? Is this adjustable at all? (I'm 6'1", if that tells you anything).

Along those same lines, what position do you keep your left foot in while riding? Under the shift lever? Over? To the side? They did not go over much 'riding-ergonomics' stuff during the class, other than the small discussion about good riding posture.

Something funny I noticed is, with the stock headlights, it looks like it shines a v-shaped Transformer light-pattern on the road...it made me laugh a little. It's also aimed ridiculously high. I should probably adjust that.

Anyway, I made it to the gas station, filled up (so cheap compared to my Subaru that takes 93oct!) and got home. Overall, an exciting and slightly unnerving experience. Just need to get more comfortable now, and figure out where to keep my dang feet.

OdinSon

The gear shift lever is adjustable. I adjusted it so my foot could be reasonably comfortable underneath the lever. The brake lever should be adjustable too but I tend to ride with my foot off the brake and move it on the brake when I need to. I'll also keep my foot on the brake when going slow and whenever I feel I may need it.

DSmith

when im just cruising along, both my feet are just outside of the controls. this way i dont accidentally ride the brake or shift a gear. when your ready to shift or use your rear brake just move your toes inward.

n00b

Avid Rider
The gear shift lever is adjustable. I adjusted it so my foot could be reasonably comfortable underneath the lever.

Not sure if that's a good idea. Last thing you'd want in a tight turn is your foot getting caught on the pavement.

Sasquatch4590

I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, and when I need to shift or use the rear brake i just slide my foot forward.

Darksabre

Thanks for all the input. Riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs was the most comfortable position, but I've never noticed anyone riding like that. It seems like everyone has the heel of their boot just behind the pegs.

ssky0078

You can adjust the clutch lever and the throttle to your liking. I like my clutch to engage sooner in release and have less travel befor fully engaged. This helps avoid the 'jumpiness' you may have experienced upon letting the clutch out. Be careful not to have too close to the bats because you need to make sure clutch can be full disengaged.

The throttle can be adjusted as well to help with some of your on off issues. What rpm is the idle set at? My throttle is twitcher when the rpms are low, 1100, and better at 1250.

Depending on what type of riding I'm doing my feet change. Sport riding I'm on the balls of me feet and move my feet back and forth depending on of I need the foot controls. Commuting in heavy traffic I will hover my toes over the controls. If I'm touring/cruising I will rest my heels on the pegs and point my toes outward around/by the side of the controls.

FZ8Ryder

You want to ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs. Reduces risk of dragging in corners and is much safer for your shins/ankles in the event of a crash.

cambo

Avid Rider
+1 for riding with balls of the feet on the pegs. I started riding like that because someone on this forum, I forget who, said you want to ride like that so you don't accidently hit the brake or shifter if you're mid corner and hit a bump...or something like that. Anyway...made sense to me so I adopted it.

thach1130

I ride with the balls of the feet on the pegs too. Seems obvious to me because if you sit with the pegs between your heel and the ball of your feet then when you rise up in anticipation of a pothole/bump you might accidentally stand on the shifter or rear brake, neither of which is a good thing.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
At a track day i went to they thought us to ride with the balls of our feet because you can feel how much more agile you are, try doing it both ways for turns and traffic riding where your constantly changing positions. It's way easier to maneuver the bike.