Jumping ship?

master paper clip

So after this amazing weekend I have discovered a few things, first of all I really really love this bike, can't stress that enough, but it always come back to 1 thing, this wasn't the bike or style of bike I wanted... This past weekend has mad my head spin from the amazing roads on the road trip to the AMA super bike races on Sunday.... Now I'm glad I couldn't get the bike or kind of bike I wanted... I had no real expierence short of some dirt bike riding an a few rides around town on my friends ninja, Ive always wanted a super sport and the r1 stole my heart since the first day I heard that noise years ago. Hoping to get to a dealer and do a little talking with them, I've got a good standing with my local dealer and since winters around the corner I could end up getting a decent deal on a left over.... Only thing stopping me is the quoted 2k a year insurence policy for full coverage... Of course I could be stupid and not get full coverage and pay 148.52$ for a yr, but I'm not that desperate or stupid.... Just a warning if a r1 randomly shows its face on the forum ;)

RoadKill

spend 2k a year on insurance, by putting 2k a year in a bank account. don't give it to them, if you don't wreck they put the cash in they're pocket and you walk away with nothing.
they are betting that the majority of riders will not wreck and have statistics that gauge how much to bet etc. in other words they can't loose because the majority of they're customers loose.

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
Life is short... I've had the pleasure of owning my 5th different bike now. I rather like the changes from bike to bike.

I have really liked most bikes I've owned. I have no issues though with dumping it for something different. Technology changes so much on these things, its fun to try all that you can out. So many different styles too. If you just always regret getting rid of one of them... can alway buy another again down the road! :cool:

If its something you want to do, go for it. That insurance quote though... :eek:

master paper clip

Good point jsp and roadkill, I think I'm gonna hit the dealer on Thursday and have a nice talk with him, and talk to my insurence guy about just what the cheaper policy covers exactly, cause that Rossi edition with the full Leo Vince system gave me a stiffy

Bajaedition

everyone has his favorite style of bike
after owning a string of 7 gsxrs I was glad to find a naked bike I liked
I did love the performance of the GSXR but I never liked Supersport style bikes as much as something that shows off it's engine as part of the styling.
Call me oldfashioned but it just one of those things
so when I saw the FZ8 I was blown away, it just looks so much like a mean and nasty street fighter I was in love
No apologies needed for jumping ship, we all have our taste

medivh66

Pillion
shop around. geico wanted 1600 for full coverage. Allstate is only charging me $470. of course bundling it with my auto and homeowners insurance im sure plays a big part in that.

b-eock

And the R1, it's a beast of a machine. Put it in "performance" mode... Let her rip up the streets. They know... Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find anyone to tell you to stay with FZ8 since there are a ton of "Better" bikes. I think in reality it's just about experiencing new things. And while we'd be sad to lose another forum member, if thats what you want to do you should definitely do it. Some of us stay with FZ8 because it's comfortable, or cheap, or sexy but at the end of the day I don't think I'd hesitate to trade up if I found something "better" (and could get rid of it).

F3NIX

Honestly in a year or two im going to trade mine in for an R1. I want to get some more experience riding before I make the move.

You can sti come in and visit us!! Share pics :)

Good luck

Sent from my phone

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Go with what your desire is. As stated by JSP, life is too short. I'd put liability on it to cover damage to others just in case, but as Roadkill said, bank it (the difference) and in 3 - 5 years, you'll have the cash and equity in the bike to go get something brand new with zero payments. :D I'd do the same if my insurance was that high.

I'm on the FZ1 (998cc) which doesn't break that magical 1000cc mark. Thus insurance here is cheap. NH is based solely on engine size. It does not matter if it is a thumper or a supersport. The 1 costs me $290 a year for a ton of coverage and I included is an endorsement for $6k for farkle!

Rotaryknight

I always wanted the R1, but seeing how insurance is...I would be broke with paying for my car payment and insurance.

If you can budget an R1 in, then it should be fine.

Luckily I have friends that have R1's and Gsxr1000s which I can borrow and ride :D but supersport just isnt my thing for everyday riding considering I put on almost 5k miles in 5 months. I dont think my back will be appreciative lol. I do want an R1 as a secondary bike....I just love that crossplane sound

adams614

Pillion
everyone has his favorite style of bike
after owning a string of 7 gsxrs I was glad to find a naked bike I liked
I did love the performance of the GSXR but I never liked Supersport style bikes as much as something that shows off it's engine as part of the styling.
Call me oldfashioned but it just one of those things
so when I saw the FZ8 I was blown away, it just looks so much like a mean and nasty street fighter I was in love
No apologies needed for jumping ship, we all have our taste

Couldn't say it better. I've owned a 06 GSXR 1000 for 6 years and it was tough to part with her but I absolutely love this FZ8. :)

Actually still trying to sell the GSXR if anyone knows any one:)