Is rotella a good oil for my 2013 FZ8?

Gusm91

Looks like you're good to go! Enjoy the feeling and pride of doing it yourself and KNOWING it was done right. Not to mention it saves a boatload of money doing it yourself. I'll guarantee you that a dealer would charge $60+ to do an oil change with sythetic oil and it would be a toss up on whether they used the right oil (aka use dino oil and pocket the extra cash), right amount or stripped bolts. People seem to think that "techs" at dealers are some sort of god and know everything about every bike when the fact is a LOT of them know less than your average DIY'er on here and have to read a book to figure out what they're doing on these bikes just like any of us would. Plus it's not their bike so they could care less if it's done right and it's almost impossible now days to hold them accountable for anything (they always use the "well it was like that when you brought it in here" line) so they do as they please. As you can tell I hate taking anything to a stealership unless I just have to. So many of them are scam artists and crooks now days.

is it ok to use 5w-40 oil even though it is not specified in the owners manual? I see in the owners manual as 10w-40 being the lowest...

cmurder

Pillion
the 40 is the most important part , the W ( winter ) rating is the viscosity at cold temperatures, better oil flow happier engine less heat , also ive used the k/n filters for the past 5 years never an issue , since my TL was 17 years old ( and someone will bash me for this ) i would change the oil every 1500 miles ( dino, tl clutch did not like the t6) drain the filter and use the same filter for 2 oil changes before replacing (i have that much confidence in K&N since they are rated for at least 5k ) . obviously filter needs to be inspected and made sure no dents dings or bad O-ring.
1500-2000 miles is a good guide depending on your riding style for oil changes,
at the current rate im changing tires as often as oil :fiddy:
gonna go back to road 2's the bridge stones are crap imho

Gusm91

the 40 is the most important part , the W ( winter ) rating is the viscosity at cold temperatures, better oil flow happier engine less heat , also ive used the k/n filters for the past 5 years never an issue , since my TL was 17 years old ( and someone will bash me for this ) i would change the oil every 1500 miles ( dino, tl clutch did not like the t6) drain the filter and use the same filter for 2 oil changes before replacing (i have that much confidence in K&N since they are rated for at least 5k ) . obviously filter needs to be inspected and made sure no dents dings or bad O-ring.
1500-2000 miles is a good guide depending on your riding style for oil changes,
at the current rate im changing tires as often as oil :fiddy:
gonna go back to road 2's the bridge stones are crap imho

What oil do you use for your bike? Do you use the K&N with your bike?