Is it necessary to cut wires to change turn signals?

jafolcke

As the title states. I know some bikes have quick disconnects. Does the FZ8 as well? Also I am referring to the front turn signals.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
It depends on what you purchase for replacements. Not a lot of the after-market signals come equipped with the correct plug. Your stock signals do have a disconnect. You can buy the mate and attach it to the new signals then quick-connect them.

NT-040 is an inexpensive place.

Enjoy!

sinclap2

Lazy
Mine has the quick disconnects (I have a Fazer8), I assume it the the same for FZ8. I just disconnected the normal indicators and reconnected the the new LED's. I bought the Yamaha LED's, so the connectors are the same size and the wire length was good.

I also had to get a new relay to slow the speed of the flash down. The Yamaha LED's are supplied with resistors for each LED, but the relay option is the easier and quicker one (plug and play). One relay verses two or fours resistors (depending on how may indicators you install). You can buy a relay on the internet and/or eBay for $10-20.

Relay eg:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Flasher...amaha-FZ6R-FZ1-FZ8-FJR1300-Seca-/290710787006

my :2cents:

jafolcke

I just took off the plastic around the headlight and for the life of me i cannot find where the disconnect is. If someone could help me i'd appreciate it. Also where could I buy the yamaha brand signals?

sinclap2

Lazy
I just took off the plastic around the headlight and for the life of me i cannot find where the disconnect is. If someone could help me i'd appreciate it. Also where could I buy the yamaha brand signals?

I am not sure I am going to be much help as my whole front cowling is different. If you can follow the wiring loom for the headlight back, from what I understand the indicator connectors join up somewhere there.

The LED's i bought directly from the Yam Dealer. This is an Australian site:
LED Blinkers | Y-Shop Australia

jafolcke

Here is a US site:

Black https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/...07890000&shopcat=accessories&Class=Sport Bike
Carbon https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/...07892000&shopcat=accessories&Class=Sport Bike

Actually, never mind these links. You wanted the fronts... these are all for the rear of the bike (no running lights) unless where you live, no law for front running lights, then these that we've linked will suffice. :D

I don't believe NYS requires them...

Laws for riding on NYS roadways:

Motorcycle helmet use is required for all riders. Motorcycle helmets must meet US DOT federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS 218).
Eye protection is required for all riders. Eyewear must, at a minimum, conform to standards established by the American National Standard Institute (ANSI – Z87.1).
Daytime headlight use is required. Headlight modulators are permitted.
A passenger seat and footrest are required if carrying a passenger.
Motorcycle helmet speakers may only have one earphone.
Additional equipment required:
Lights including headlight, taillight, stop lamp and license plate lamp
At least one red rear reflector
Brakes (on both wheels if manufactured after 1971)
Directional signals (if manufactured after 1985)
Turn signals (if manufactured after 1985)
A horn or other warning device
At least one rearview mirror, although one on each handlebar is recommended
A muffler is required; "cutouts' or mufflers with removable baffles are not allowed
Handlebars or grips must be less than 15 inches above than the driver's seat
Only two motorcycles may operate side by side in a single lane.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Yup... I don't see anything about running lights, only the signals. So, if you order the Yamaha (GK branded) signals, the OEM connectors are included making it plug and play.

We're you able to trace back the signal wires to connectors?

DanS

Commuter
Here is a US site:

Black https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/...07890000&shopcat=accessories&Class=Sport Bike
Carbon https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/...07892000&shopcat=accessories&Class=Sport Bike

Actually, never mind these links. You wanted the fronts... these are all for the rear of the bike (no running lights) unless where you live, no law for front running lights, then these that we've linked will suffice. :D
Custom LED makes a device called the blinker genie that will restore the running light function of the two wire Yamaha blinkers. Also their ELFR-1 relay will slow the fast blink rate to normal.
Blinker Genie Converts 2 Wire LED Blinkers to 3 Wire for Run and Turn Signals | eBay

Last edited:

DanS

Commuter

You will need to remove the headlight assembly to access the blinker connectors.
1) remove the fly screen
2) remove the 3 headlight mount bolts. 2 under fly screen and 1 just inside left
fork (backside)
3) disconnect electrical connector.

Last edited:

jafolcke

Yup... I don't see anything about running lights, only the signals. So, if you order the Yamaha (GK branded) signals, the OEM connectors are included making it plug and play.

We're you able to trace back the signal wires to connectors?

All taken care of. Thanks for all your help. Ordered some black ones and successfully got the factory ones off. Just took a little headlight loosening. The wires were zip tied real tight and tucked away. Just waiting for the new parts now...

sinclap2

Lazy
All taken care of. Thanks for all your help. Ordered some black ones and successfully got the factory ones off. Just took a little headlight loosening. The wires were zip tied real tight and tucked away. Just waiting for the new parts now...

good to hear, happy modding!

rug_burn

I took off the LED lights that originally came on the bike (I got it used), and put back on the stockers- I like being well lit up, just as a safety issue. Besides that- you can watch the stock turn signals jiggle as the wind drag increases on them. It's like a crude speed indicator, but that's me all the way.
But I had to rehabilitate the stock bullet connectors on the wires, since the guy who installed the LED lights squashed them down to make them fit the incompatible LED connectors. One side benefit was that the turn signal flasher rate went back to normal once I went back to normal incandescant bulbs. Seems the flasher needs the higher current draw of filament bulbs to function at the correct rate of about 1 flash per second. With LED front signals it was about 3 flashes per second.