Is it me...

ramrod

or are there a lot more newer bikes on the rode? I noticed today on post two other bikes that have temporary registration plates on and one other on the road. Not sure if it's because because of gas prices... which was a driving factor for purchasing mine.

I know it's one of those things that perhaps is always there but you don't tend to notice it unless you are involved in it. It's like when my wife was pregnant I noticed a lot more pregnant ladies out there... weird.

H

Hoover

Ton of new bikes around here. Gas prices and low interest rates.

D

DJK1505

It def has to be with the gas prices, summer right around the corner, etc. I usually sell about 10 bikes a year as I tinker with them, just something I like to do on the side, keeps me busy. But these last two or three months, I have been swamped with people bringing me bikes to fix. I have my own collection of my crap in the garage, and now I have 5 customer bikes in there. DEF a lot more bikes out there and a lot more people getting their license. Hell just this past weekend I responded to an add on Craigslist of a lady offering good money for someone to teach her how to ride so she could get her license. We will almost certainly be seeing a major rise in two wheel transportation here in the states, and Im sure everywhere else.

DJ

C

Camo

I see plenty of new learner legal bikes around here sporting the L or P plates... Not sure how that works in the States but here in Oz you need to go a year or two on your L's-Learners permit then the same for your P's - Provisional permit before you can ride larger capacity bikes.
So the Ninja range of 250's and 650's and alot of the little Yammi's and Hondas.

D

DJK1505

Oh and those damn mopeds, now thats what I have seen pop up everywhere! Freaking mopeds trying to race stop light to stop light, what the hell is that???? Thats like watching a midget race. Not trying to be mean but seriously you cant help but laugh!

ramrod

I see plenty of new learner legal bikes around here sporting the L or P plates... Not sure how that works in the States but here in Oz you need to go a year or two on your L's-Learners permit then the same for your P's - Provisional permit before you can ride larger capacity bikes.
So the Ninja range of 250's and 650's and alot of the little Yammi's and Hondas.

That is actually a pretty good idea. Right before I bought the bike, a new biker stalled twice at a residential stop sign right in front of me... guy was riding a GSX-R1000 registration tags and all!

Could have been a fluke but the dealership shouldn't being selling a novice a litre bike anyhow, i'm just saying.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Tons of scooters here in Utah, guys/gals alike wearing no helmet,flip flops shorts
You need zero experience to get a lerners permit and can ride anything for 6 months but when you test its limited to size you tested on unless its 650 cc or bigger

C

Camo

That is actually a pretty good idea. Right before I bought the bike, a new biker stalled twice at a residential stop sign right in front of me... guy was riding a GSX-R1000 registration tags and all!

Could have been a fluke but the dealership shouldn't being selling a novice a litre bike anyhow, i'm just saying.

I agree, the way they have it setup here ensures that you can't legally ride a bike that isn't approved but you can buy one...

Here's how it stands in my state-

Approved motorcycles for novice riders

And the list of approved bikes-
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/lams_list_120501.pdf

C

calscrazy

thats actually a really good idea. might help with some of the idiots that make the rest of us look bad. in texas they require the MSF. it takes the place of the riding portion of the test because it is now a day and a half of riding with half a day in classroom. i do like the idea you guys have over there better.

lothodon

Super Moderator
I like the idea of BOTH. Require the course AND limit what you can ride legally for at least a year.

I would never expect however for a dealership to follow the rules, as it's their profit they are truly after, disregard the buyer's safety. Sad.