Is a dyno tune necessary with PCV install?

DSmith

I installed a twobros exhaust on my FZ8. Id like to smooth her out a bit now. If i installed a power commander or a juicebox is it necessary to have the bike dyno-tuned. I know it most certainly wouldnt hurt, but is it bad not to do it?

OdinSon

With my FZ6 you didn't have to get it tuned, you could use the stock maps or maps that were close to the set up you have. If you really want to get the most out of it you will need to dyno it. You also might be able to get that autotune thingamagig.

decooney

I installed a twobros exhaust on my FZ8. Id like to smooth her out a bit now. If i installed a power commander or a juicebox is it necessary to have the bike dyno-tuned. I know it most certainly wouldnt hurt, but is it bad not to do it?

Yes, I'm starting to believe so prior to getting my own bike dyno tuned. Since no specific map is available for my setu, I've tried two different factory downloadable maps on my FZ8 with a Vance and Hines CS One muffler and air box mod. I might add a K&N air filter next before I go do a dyno. So far, I feel the Two Brothers map might even be a tad more sluggish in the lower revs compared to the stock map, so I suspect I might be running a tad rich under 6k. Once I get to 6k-12k, it goes great. Also, now that its cooling off in my area, the bike seems to respond better which leads me to believe the same. Getting closer to doing a dyno in 30 days or so, just playing a bit first beforehand so I can convince myself the dyno was worth it after I do it. ;)

Marthy

Yes, I'm starting to believe so prior to getting my own bike dyno tuned. Since no specific map is available for my setu, I've tried two different factory downloadable maps on my FZ8 with a Vance and Hines CS One muffler and air box mod. I might add a K&N air filter next before I go do a dyno. So far, I feel the Two Brothers map might even be a tad more sluggish in the lower revs compared to the stock map, so I suspect I might be running a tad rich under 6k. Once I get to 6k-12k, it goes great. Also, now that its cooling off in my area, the bike seems to respond better which leads me to believe the same. Getting closer to doing a dyno in 30 days or so, just playing a bit first beforehand so I can convince myself the dyno was worth it after I do it. ;)

The first 3 gears are different than the last 3 gears by a good difference. You need to tune with advgear to do it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

decooney

The first 3 gears are different than the last 3 gears by a good difference. You need to tune with advgear to do it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Marthy,
Are you referring to gear advanced mode and tuning for the secondary fuel module - tuning for each gear?

decooney

Hey Marthy,
I was looking back over some old posts and ended up looking up your website. Nice to see your developments on the new mid exhausts. Looks like fun.

I've been wanting to try your map and/or the jumbo map before I go to the dyno next month but have a few questions. I am running a V&H slip on, leaving the cat installed, but did a mild airbox mod (horn removal), AIS is capped off too. I still have the stock air filter for a bit, and might change to a K&N before the dyno. I realized these other maps like your advgear map and the jumbo map might be with cat removed, is that correct? I need to try a map with for slip-on and airbox mod with cat installed, not removed. I cannot remove the cat in CA in case I got popped with a fix-it ticket and have to replace it. Got a map like this I should try?