Interesting Thread on solvents with Chain Cleaning

FZ8Panda

So, my bike has been in storage for a quite a bit and not awhile ago I've noticed that I had some surface rust on my chain. Finally got around to cleaning it with some WD-40 today. Wiped off the WD-40 as best as I can and relubed the chain using proper chain lube.

While browsing through various forums I got interested in O-ring chains as I have no idea which I have from factory. I still don't, lol. If anyone can educate me on that topic, that would be great.

Anyway, came upon this thread about using different solvents on O-ring chains and the effects of the solvents on the O-rings. I thought it was very thorough and interesting with pics. Sorry if this is a repost. Check it out.

Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results - ADVrider

JSP

Administrator
So, my bike has been in storage for a quite a bit and not awhile ago I've noticed that I had some surface rust on my chain. Finally got around to cleaning it with some WD-40 today. Wiped off the WD-40 as best as I can and relubed the chain using proper chain lube.

While browsing through various forums I got interested in O-ring chains as I have no idea which I have from factory. I still don't, lol. If anyone can educate me on that topic, that would be great.

Anyway, came upon this thread about using different solvents on O-ring chains and the effects of the solvents on the O-rings. I thought it was very thorough and interesting with pics. Sorry if this is a repost. Check it out.

Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results - ADVrider

Thanks for that! Very interesting. I like to use Kerosene or WD-40 to clean and then throw on the lube.

pajkrubi

Great link, thank you. The factory chain is an O ring chain. Almost all your factory chains are now days. I've alway used kerosene to wipe it down with. You definitely don't want to use any harsh, oil desolving agents on it because it'll dry out the o rings and any that gets in past the o rings will dry up any lube trapped behind the o rings and will destroy the chain in a hurry.

FZ8Panda

Great link, thank you. The factory chain is an O ring chain. Almost all your factory chains are now days. I've alway used kerosene to wipe it down with. You definitely don't want to use any harsh, oil desolving agents on it because it'll dry out the o rings and any that gets in past the o rings will dry up any lube trapped behind the o rings and will destroy the chain in a hurry.

Thanks for that clarification. Figured others would find the thread helpful. I'm glad I can share it with y'all. Good thing I used WD-40. Last thing I want is the chain wearing prematurely. Now only if Spring will rear its head sooner. I'm having some serious withdrawals. :)

JSP

Administrator
Thanks for that clarification. Figured others would find the thread helpful. I'm glad I can share it with y'all. Good thing I used WD-40. Last thing I want is the chain wearing prematurely. Now only if Spring will rear its head sooner. I'm having some serious withdrawals. :)

I was able to ride a couple miles yesterday. Felt so good. We had like 19" of snow last week. Then rain which melted most of it. Got up around 40 or so degrees and I took it while I could! :D

FZ8Panda

I'm so jealous! LoL. We are getting snow here tonight and some tomorrow. Then rain Wed and Fri with temps in the 40's. So hopefully the rain with higher temps will melt all the snow and perhaps be dry enough sometime during the weekend for me to go for a quick ride. Man, I hope we have an early Spring this year. This winter has been absolutely depressing for me with all the snow and extra cold temps. I'm so excited for this riding season. :)

Perron

I'm so jealous! LoL. We are getting snow here tonight and some tomorrow. Then rain Wed and Fri with temps in the 40's. So hopefully the rain with higher temps will melt all the snow and perhaps be dry enough sometime during the weekend for me to go for a quick ride. Man, I hope we have an early Spring this year. This winter has been absolutely depressing for me with all the snow and extra cold temps. I'm so excited for this riding season. :)

1 month until I can legally ride, I feel your pain haha :p I hope the roads will be clean enough to get the bike from the storage to my appartment!

Thanks for the link, I'm glad I've always used WD-40

RD GUY

you might want to dig alittle deeper into the wd40 thing as it is not the best way to clean your chains a lot of negative stuff about it from the areo industry , DID chains recommend kerosene to clean .just saying.

Woody146

Banned
Kerosene for sure...if u feel ballsy some brake cleaner indirectly then Immediatly wipe it off and apply chain wax