Insurance

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
So how much are you paying for insurance and for what motorcycle? This could help others get a good perspective of what to expect to pay when purchasing a motorcycle.

Location?
Age? (Optional, but it would help.)
History? (Accidents/Tickets. Also optional, but it would help.)
Discounts Included?

Any other pertinent information.

Since its still too early to get a quote for a FZ8 in my location, I looked up a few comparable models.

2010 BMW F 800 ST - $850/year (Full Coverage $1000/$500 deductible) (Annual Renewal discount)
2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 - $800/year (Full Coverage $1000/500 deductible) (Annual Renewal discount)
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - $700/year (Full Coverage $500/$500 deductible) (Annual Renewal discount)
2009 Yamaha FZ1 - $2500/year (Full Coverage $500/300 deductible) (No discount included)

I am 22 years old. Live in Los Angeles County, city of Norwalk. I have no accidents or tickets on my record.

Ozfazer6

Super Moderator
So how much are you paying for insurance and for what motorcycle? This could help others get a good perspective of what to expect to pay when purchasing a motorcycle.

Location?
Age? (Optional, but it would help.)
History? (Accidents/Tickets. Also optional, but it would help.)
Discounts Included?

Any other pertinent information.

Since its still too early to get a quote for a FZ8 in my location, I looked up a few comparable models.

2010 BMW F 800 ST - $850/year (Full Coverage $1000/$500 deductible) (Annual Renewal discount)
2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 - $800/year (Full Coverage $1000/500 deductible) (Annual Renewal discount)
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - $700/year (Full Coverage $500/$500 deductible) (Annual Renewal discount)
2009 Yamaha FZ1 - $2500/year (Full Coverage $500/300 deductible) (No discount included)

I am 22 years old. Live in Los Angeles County, city of Norwalk. I have no accidents or tickets on my record.

I,m 46 and had a bike written off two months ago but I am allowed one at fault claim per year.
My newish FZ6(06) is insured for $7,700 ,cost me 6k :) , at $291 per year .

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
Nice. The only reason I'm currently getting away with $300/year insurance is because I merely have liability, and I'm currently riding a 07 Yamaha XV250. :p

lothodon

Super Moderator
Just got the FZ8 insured today. State Farm, full coverage and $500/$500 deductibles. An AMAZING $227.00 annual.

And to think Progressive wanted $1300.00, and I WAS a 10 year customer and I'm 41 years old. What bastards.

on my fz8 im $2,000 a year im 24 and i live in ontario and i had a seat belt ticket!!! cant wait to be 25 this summer because insurance rate drop like crazy!!!

Speedo007

Ouch 2000$, thats pretty bad...I think I could insure a S1000RR + a 1098 for that price...
Quebec Canada,320$/year, 250$ deductibles.
Im 34 one speeding ticket left on my file (remains of my Speed Triple lol!), got a car stolen a few years ago.

Though keep in mind here the license plate costs 640$/year for a standard bike like the FZ8 (actually we can only ride from march 15th to December 15th, its illegal to ride a bike during winter) and 1600$ for super sports (like a CBR 600 and up). Drivers license is 90$ a year for the car and 35$/year extra to be allowed to ride a bike.

Insurances go with bike classification. The goverment can class the bike standard and the insurance company can consider it a super sport. Like when I had my Speed Triple, some companies were asking 1800$/year and the one I chose cost me 300$/year cause it wasnt considered a super sport at one place, but was at the other.

Last edited:

i know i live like 15 min from the quebec border i feel like moving just for insurance reason!!!

Speedo007

@00007

Now you know why you see so much sports bikes in Ontario that come from our province, people have trouble selling them here, cause nobody wants to pay 1600$ a year just for license plates...

Here an FZ8 will cost you about 1000$ a year for insurance plus license plate. A s1000rr would cost you around 3000$ for insurance and license plates...Funny thing, a K1300R will cost you about 1000$ and a K1300S which is the same bike but with a fearing will cost you double. Seems like plastic is dangerous in our province lol!

Last edited:

yeah plastic is expensive in ontario also i compared prices and a busa was like at least $1000 more then the bk1300.... i dont get it our plates are really cheap here and our insurance is sky high and you guys your plates are expensive and insurance is cheap haha

Vince492

Wow, I thought Quebec SS plate was only 1400$....but I still miss Quebec insurance because its cheap, it was 700$ (plate+license+insurance) for my cavalier...it went up to 2000$ in Ontario...same coverage :bs2:

Speedo007

Oups, yeah sorry, its "just" 1425$ for licenses on SS bikes, 633$ for standard bikes.
Was around 350$ 5 years ago before they started splitting categories (super sports and standard).

mano1192

Just paid 250 for 6 months, first bike no accidents. I'm 30' also had 1 small accident 2 years ago. $500/500 on the deducts.

trimyantidrug

paying $408 for 6 months with state farm. 25 yrs old with a ticket on my record and riding in Vegas. better than the $2168 that allstate wanted, and the $1640 a year progressive wanted. Also for laughs nationwide quoted me 7500 a year. suggest those looking at the FZ8 look at insurance quotes before pulling the trigger with it being such a new bike i think the insurance companies haven't decided what to think about it yet besides seeing the super sport tag that place on it.

hypo

paying $408 for 6 months with state farm. 25 yrs old with a ticket on my record and riding in Vegas. better than the $2168 that allstate wanted, and the $1640 a year progressive wanted. Also for laughs nationwide quoted me 7500 a year. suggest those looking at the FZ8 look at insurance quotes before pulling the trigger with it being such a new bike i think the insurance companies haven't decided what to think about it yet besides seeing the super sport tag that place on it.

I've been with State Farm since I started driving... however, it seems that in the state of Texas (just moved here) that a lot of jackholes buy motorcycles and wreck them, and total them out with the insurance companies here, so insurance is RIDICULOUS... +1 on the companies not knowing what to think about the FZ8, I disagree with the "HIGH PERFORMANCE" tag they put on it. I ended up going to progressive because they beat my State Farm quote... I kept my cars and house with SF though.

I am planning on picking up an FZ8 within the next two weeks depending on when I get the money from selling my last bike, and I was quoted about $1000 a year. 40yo, no tickets currently on the record, been on a bike since 1991, got rear-ended on my last bike at less than 5mph, but luckily I talked the insurance agent out of totalling the bike out. Virginia doesn't like junkyard titles.

FZ8Grid

im 21 and mine is $810 a year for full coverage with american family.

but i also have a honda shadow, and my car on my policy for a discount.

nighthawk

insurance

I'm with State Farm, 28 years old, clean record and I pay $15 a month or $180 a year full coverage $500/$500 deductable... I feel quite fortunate compared to what some of you are paying!

CADMAN

INSURANCE COSTS

Contemplating buying an FZ8 so I found this site to see what others think, have modded and just general interest.

For me:
Age 52 - riding for over 27 years
Record Clean - for now
Georgia - ATL
$618/year

lothodon

Super Moderator
+1 for State Farm!!! and +1 again for knowing there is at least one other rider in Wisconsin on the work of art that is the FZ8!