Installing a Center Stand

tzortn

Pillion
Has anyone out there installed a center stand?

I got a great deal on a used one but I am not sure how ti install the spring. Everything else is in place but stretching the spring to install it didn't happen.

Would an exhaust spring puller work? I am open to suggestions.

thach1130

grab a long screw driver, place one end of the springs on the front hook, place the other end on the middle of the long screw driver. grab the pointy end of the screw driver and the horizontal bar on the center stand to make a pivot point. Then use your other hand as leverage to pull the spring back. Guide hook on the spring to the hole on the center stand.

Here's a diagram, hope you can understand it

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
grab a long screw driver, place one end of the springs on the front hook, place the other end on the middle of the long screw driver. grab the pointy end of the screw driver and the horizontal bar on the center stand to make a pivot point. Then use your other hand as leverage to pull the spring back. Guide hook on the spring to the hole on the center stand.

Here's a diagram, hope you can understand it

I've always heard to install the spring first.

thach1130

I've tried that too. But then you struggle with lining up center stand to the mount to insert the nut and bolt.

lyric911

I just used a pair of channel locks and muscled it. The screwdriver lever sounds way easier in comparison.

Skiman

I loosely pre assembled the stand first (including the spring), then slipped it up, attaching the front bolts first. Moving the stand up and down caused the back of the bracket to work its way up and into place so that I could install the rear bolts. Took me about 15 minutes to assemble and install.

tzortn

Pillion
I followed the official Yamaha directions and it said to put the spring on after installing all the components. I thought about pre-assembling the spring but I was afraid that wrestling it into position would be difficult. I will try the screwdriver trick. It that doesn't work for me I will forge my own tool to do this.

alexk

Weekend Rider
This may be a dopey question but... does this physically replace the kickstand, or can both be installed at the same time?

It gets extremely windy out here, and leaning the bike over onto the kickstand gives it a bit better stability. I don't want to give that up, but the ability to get the rear wheel off the ground by myself would be awesome...

lyric911

This may be a dopey question but... does this physically replace the kickstand, or can both be installed at the same time?

It gets extremely windy out here, and leaning the bike over onto the kickstand gives it a bit better stability. I don't want to give that up, but the ability to get the rear wheel off the ground by myself would be awesome...

Both can be installed at the same time. I mostly only use my center stand for maintenance and if parking width is limited.

Skiman

Does not replace the kickstand. You can have both on!

RoadKill

just installed mine. didn't need to assemble with the springs.
take a screw driver and hook it thru the end going towards the loop on the stand. have the other end hooked up to the bracket. then put the end of the screwdriver thru the loop on the stand and start stretching the spring. tap the end with something towards the loop. i used a tire iron. then when the hook is at the loop stretch the spring a bit more so the hook makes it past the loop. it should pop right on. took me about 10 seconds.

9 Lives

Brake spring pliers work well also, there are designed to install springs.

Last edited:

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
This may be a dopey question but...

"There are no stupid questions; only stupid people."
-Mr. Garrison

I have another dopey question........ do you lose any ability to lean? I.E.: is there a ground clearance issue when the center stand is installed? I wouldn't think so, but I don't have mine yet and that's what's keeping me from buying one. It would make it SUPER easy to lube the chain. No more walking the bike back 2 feet at a time!

9 Lives

"There are no stupid questions; only stupid people."
-Mr. Garrison

I have another dopey question........ do you lose any ability to lean? I.E.: is there a ground clearance issue when the center stand is installed? I wouldn't think so, but I don't have mine yet and that's what's keeping me from buying one. It would make it SUPER easy to lube the chain. No more walking the bike back 2 feet at a time!

Nothing is sticking out far enough to effect lean angle when it's in the stowed position, unless of course you are skidding the bike down the pavement on its side.

MotoZen

I just ordered mine. I usually lube my chain after riding to work and a paddock stand isn't very convenient at the office. Neither is rolling the bike through the parking lot.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

n00b

Avid Rider

both at the same time.

Bajaedition

I have been looking at doing this mod but the price seems a bit ridiculous
where has been the cheapest place you found them?