Installed Yoshimura slip-on.. Do I need a K&N filter? if so do I need a air/fuel controller(power commander)

rye1021

Hi,
I just bought my FZ8 2 months ago and I have added a yoshimura slip-on. Do I need to replace the filter to K&N to match the output? will I then need a power commander to feel the difference in performance and not just sound?

Thanks in advance.

HeresMyMind

You won't feel much of a difference without a tune.

What I would recommend:

K&N Filter and Mod your airbox (there are writeups on here, you cut the bottom hole in the intake box to be larger).

Then while it is out, Take out the ECU and send it over to TurboJoe, he is a car/bike tuner out in CA.

He will flash the ECU for your exhaust / intake, and remove all the restrictions.

Then your bike will feel like a completely new bike, way more power especially in 1st and 2nd, and it will take full advantage of your mods

-B

Here is Joe's Facebook, he has done a few tunes for me all of them have been perfect, let him know Branden sent you.

https://www.facebook.com/turbojoe.tuned.9

Keach

I also recommend turbojoe ecu tune if you want to feel a performance gain.

To answer your question, no you don't need to replace the filter because of the slip on. You can run a slip on with this bike without having to tune the ecu or getting a fuel controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ptate

You know how much does he charge for the tune? I look up guhls one a couple of month ago and it was realy expensive

Resvordog

You won't feel much of a difference without a tune.

What I would recommend:

K&N Filter and Mod your airbox (there are writeups on here, you cut the bottom hole in the intake box to be larger).

Then while it is out, Take out the ECU and send it over to TurboJoe, he is a car/bike tuner out in CA.

He will flash the ECU for your exhaust / intake, and remove all the restrictions.

Then your bike will feel like a completely new bike, way more power especially in 1st and 2nd, and it will take full advantage of your mods

-B

Here is Joe's Facebook, he has done a few tunes for me all of them have been perfect, let him know Branden sent you.

https://www.facebook.com/turbojoe.tuned.9

Hi Branden,

I have a Yoshimura slip-on exhaust on my FZ8, but no air intake mods. I bought a Dynojet PCFC this week and much to my disappointment, there wasn't a specific fuel map for my set up. After stumbling across this thread however, I wanted to know if you think I should just return the PCFC and send my ECU to TurboJoe or take my bike to my local shop and have them tune the bike with the PCFC. The unit is supposed to come pre-loaded with 10 different maps, but I don't know what they are like or if they will even make a difference.

Thanks!

HeresMyMind

Hi Branden,

I have a Yoshimura slip-on exhaust on my FZ8, but no air intake mods. I bought a Dynojet PCFC this week and much to my disappointment, there wasn't a specific fuel map for my set up. After stumbling across this thread however, I wanted to know if you think I should just return the PCFC and send my ECU to TurboJoe or take my bike to my local shop and have them tune the bike with the PCFC. The unit is supposed to come pre-loaded with 10 different maps, but I don't know what they are like or if they will even make a difference.

Thanks!

Return it and get the tune from Joe. The biggest gains are the restrictions only a full reflash like Joes can do. A power commander can't unlock those restrictions. Example: power restrictions in 1-3 gears. Top speed restriction. Fans turn on at a lower temp.

Those get unleashed aswell as the fueling and timing better suited for more power.

-B

Tell him Branden sent you!!!

9 Lives

Do yourself a favor and do your homework, then make the decision based on fact. There are lots of misconceptions and plenty of armchair mechanics out there that have no idea how EFI works, what flashing does and how fuel controllers work, just repeating information they read somewhere. There is no perfect solution, each system has its positives and negatives, find out what they are and what system will work best for you.

Last edited:

rye1021

Thanks for the quick reply and excellent information Branden. I just ordered a K&N air filter today. I heard more popping sound on my pipe after installing the R77 slip on yoshimura, I did some reading and found out that I need to block the AIS and box mod. I bought my bike used and for the first time I pulled out the air filter and saw some oil on it . Does this mean its from blow by? I know it is common with Harleys, but should I be worried? I got worried.

HeresMyMind

some oil on it is normal from blow by. Just order some AIS plates for 20$ off ebay and install them. They are a pain to do because of the limited space, but once they are done, you never have to worry again, and it makes accessing spark plugs much easier.

-B

rye1021

Thanks

some oil on it is normal from blow by. Just order some AIS plates for 20$ off ebay and install them. They are a pain to do because of the limited space, but once they are done, you never have to worry again, and it makes accessing spark plugs much easier.

-B

Thanks for letting me know its normal to have little oil from blow by. I was hoing to ask you if i need to block the AIS, but you answered my question in advance thanks👍👌😀

So i can push through with the plan of getting the fuel and air controlled? So you recommend getting it from turbojoe instead of pcfc from dynojet? How hope ECU reflash is cheaper and more effective than a pcfc.

Thanks 👍