In need of loud exhaust for fwy

Bajaedition

you know you have to show more skills to get a cycle endorsement than a cager needs to show to get a license?

all having a license proves is you can pass a test. And there are no real skill test or you never have to take extra training.

kind of stupid if you ask me, everyone should be required to once a year spend 4 hours at the DMV watching videos.

bike insurance is not so high because of what you do it is so high because of what they do. Most accidents are caused by guys pulling out in front of a bike.
or changing lanes into one, as in Cambos case.

What experience does the most for you is to make sure you remember those close calls, but you have to survive those close calls. and remember how to avoid them. I am sure you are in no way at fault Cambo, but I also bet you will have half an eye looking for that situation from now on out.

here is what happened to me today, we are running up the mountain to Big Bear Ca, mixed group of bikes, a few hogs included. There were 3 guys I did not know and one was on a hog. Anyway when things got twisty the Jap bikes made way front and we took off a while, then slowed down to let the hogs catch up. Our leader for the day is a guy who can really ride a Harley and we are friends so he wanted to dice it up a bit with me. Somehow in tow came that guy on a hog I do not know, and he was hot on my tail. I went into a curve hot and had to trail brake hard and he almost went up my rear so I waved him past. He caught my friend and had to brake hard washing out the front end of his harley and going down hard. Spinning sideways and I had to take the opposite lane to get around but even then WAM he hits me hard and it takes all I can do to stay upright. I stop a bit down the road and get off running back to see if he is alright. When I get back, Damn, my Can is dented bad and theFZ8 decal on my tail piece is ripped to shreds.
Next time I see a hog I do not know how they can ride they are going be way ahead, or way behind me. I let my guard down because I knew most of the group. Cost me big time.

pigdog

i don't always ride a motorcycle, but when i do i ride invisible. even other riders don't hear me. fz-8 is my 13th ride. i like the rush but there is no plush.

ssky0078

Thanks for the input Rotaryknight. I'm almost always in dead stop traffic splitting lanes at around 25 mph. That's my concern not the actual driving in the fwy... :)

For some reason as I was riding this morning this post came to mind.

I've only spent 4 days in Cali riding so I am by far no expert, but I thought it was safest to only go 10mph faster than traffic. For instance if traffic is crawling at 0-5 mph then lane splitting at 10-15 mph is advised. If traffic is going at 10-15 mph then splitting at 20-25 is advised.

Also the reason I was a little obnoxious before is that my friend had an FDX with full exhaust and was quite loud. He was still cut off by a chick in an SUV on the highway and was killed. I have a rather little faith in the loud pipes save lives approach.

RoadKill

i think loud pipes can help sometimes approach is best. i have seen cars react to hearing me many times, but i also have experienced them not hearing me and doing stupid shit. so they can help sometimes but never depend on them.

cambo

Avid Rider
Spinning sideways and I had to take the opposite lane to get around but even then WAM he hits me hard and it takes all I can do to stay upright. I stop a bit down the road and get off running back to see if he is alright. When I get back, Damn, my Can is dented bad and theFZ8 decal on my tail piece is ripped to shreds.
Next time I see a hog I do not know how they can ride they are going be way ahead, or way behind me. I let my guard down because I knew most of the group. Cost me big time.

damn baja, I missed this the first time I read through your post. bummer dude, glad you were able to stay up though. What can did you have on?

cambo

Avid Rider
Stock can, was saving up for a set of Givi easylocks before changing the can

well shit, I've got a stock can for a 2012, let me know if you want it. it's heavy though, I imagine shipping would be a bitch. but if you don't mind covering shipping, it's yours.