In need of loud exhaust for fwy

Geanmage13

Hey guys, i recently started driving 40 miles a day on the freeway and i still have the stock exhaust on my 2013 fz8. What can i get that is gonna be loud enough to turn heads in traffic..?

ssky0078

I don't know if you picked up on it by now but an exhaust is pointed to the rear of the bike. And unless you plan on rev'in the engine non stop I don't know how much you hope to gain in driver awareness because of your loud pipe.

Rotaryknight

On the highway, it wont do much. In the city, it does wonders.

From what I hear, the Mivv double gun is the loudest (close to no muffler) one you can get.

Wearing brighter clothes will give you a higher chance of being seen on the highway. People will be blasting their music with the windows up.

Geanmage13

On the highway, it wont do much. In the city, it does wonders.

From what I hear, the Mivv double gun is the loudest (close to no muffler) one you can get.

Wearing brighter clothes will give you a higher chance of being seen on the highway.

Thanks for the input Rotaryknight. I'm almost always in dead stop traffic splitting lanes at around 25 mph. That's my concern not the actual driving in the fwy... :)

master paper clip

For free there is the no pipe option, u can't cut the muffler body from the link pipe and make a shorty... Also free, or te mivv double gun as suggested

OdinSon

You also might want to consider other drivers on the road as well. Most people do not like hearing a stupidly loud exhaust whether its a bike, truck, or car. I'm one of those people. That being said I have the Two Brothers with P1X tip on it and like. Still has some volume, a nice sound, and isn't so loud as to be an irritation to everyone around me.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Marthy's mid ship, like I have is fantastic, and it comes with a db killer for when your not on the freeway (I never put mine in)

Geanmage13

You also might want to consider other drivers on the road as well. Most people do not like hearing a stupidly loud exhaust whether its a bike, truck, or car. I'm one of those people. That being said I have the Two Brothers with P1X tip on it and like. Still has some volume, a nice sound, and isn't so loud as to be an irritation to everyone around me.

You 're asolutely right but the problem is that it's another thing them not hearing something loud and me being ran over.. :D lol I was considering the TB. How does it sound without the tip?

OdinSon

I think it sounds great, deep, a little "growly" with the tip people still know I'm around and I don't feel like a tool. Two brothers also has an in between sound level tip, I forget what it's called though.

evan1

I bought a Two Brothers VALE carbon fiber slip-on and couldn't be happier with it. Fairly loud, without being totally obnoxious. It snarls and growls and backfires a bit under heavy deceleration.

It really gave my FZ8 the sound that it desperately needed. (Plus cars around me can hear me just fine.) Highly recommended.

Note: it's technically illegal for street use in California, but considering how many obnoxiously loud Harleys I've heard around here, I'm not too worried.

Marthy

Hey Mate, I can fix all that. I have one ready to go... :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Bajaedition

loud pipes do not save lifes

a lot of people jump when they hear them and swerve

and hit things, like the bike they heard

master paper clip

loud pipes do not save lifes

a lot of people jump when they hear them and swerve

and hit things, like the bike they heard

Idk. I think Cambo could argue that... Man had a double gun on... He changed it to something quiter and hrs later got hit by a car..... Sorry Cambo had to do it, but for real loud pipes are hit or miss... It could help or do exatly what Baja said

Bajaedition

worked too many accidents where the cager said " I heard a loud noise and jumped, next thing I knew, Blamo I hit him. I am sorry. Is he going be ok?"

oh well

cambo

Avid Rider
Will- haha, all good brotha. I can definitely understand the argument against 'loud pipes help'. But from my own experience, I have to agree that loud pipes do help. Maybe it has just been coincidence, but the ONLY times I've ever had cars try to cut me off, or almost come into my lane, and finally...completely come into my lane and hit me...has been when I had a quieter pipe on.

Never had that issue with my double gun or ebay open pipe. both noticeably louder.

On that note, OP- I've got my MIVV double gun for sale although it's slightly modified. I cut off the exhaust hanger portion because it was so light I didn't feel like I needed to mount it to the passenger peg. Plus I was going for passenger peg-less look. $150 shipped. includes baffles.

Rotaryknight

I am all for being heard while riding. Just today, was driving my car going to work on the highway with windows up and music on (but not blasting) and a loud gsxr was coming up from behind me on the left lane (I was in the middle lane). Heard him atleast the length of an 18 wheeler away coming up the fast lane going about 15mph faster than me.

I dont know about OP, but I got annoyed from running no muffler on the highway for 10 mins lol. Sure a muffler or even a pipe would lower the tone and volume a little bit, but man it was annoying.

Bajaedition

Cambo
just my experience, such as is your comment
if there was a simple answer then it would be out there
until then........
we have both sides, personally after 35 plus years of riding I can say I have been cut off very few times, and I do not think pipes would have helped
now if I was doing something that was getting me cut off all the time, I would reevaluate what I was doing.
It is all a calculated risk, bad calculations cause bad risk

cambo

Avid Rider
Cambo
just my experience, such as is your comment
if there was a simple answer then it would be out there
until then........
we have both sides, personally after 35 plus years of riding I can say I have been cut off very few times, and I do not think pipes would have helped
now if I was doing something that was getting me cut off all the time, I would reevaluate what I was doing.
It is all a calculated risk, bad calculations cause bad risk

right on Baja...I was certainly not making a case against your point at all, just responding to/providing supporting comments to Mr. Paperclip. I know you've been riding for a heck of a long time and I definitely take heed and appreciate what you put out here because of your experience. A loud pipe, bright clothes, train horn...will never trump/substitute sound riding ability and defensive riding skills...but could possibly help...well maybe only the bright clothes. The loud stuff I can definitely see freaking someone out.

But case in point, my recent accident. I don't think it mattered what pipe I had on. The driver's attention was fixated on one thing: avoiding the tailgater he just cut off. Could've been a big rig instead of me coming up that left lane, he still would've swung into it. Anyone coming up in that left lane was doomed. I was the lucky guy. He was just a shitty driver that didn't know how to properly change lanes and severely lacked situational awareness skills. Better bike control/defensive riding skills would've definitely helped me though...my noobness bit me in the ass, literally lmao. but lesson learned! Now I know first hand how incredibly ineffective the rear brake is lolol!

I just thought it was funny how every 'close call' of mine has been when I wasn't using the louder pipe...that's all. :tup:

Last edited: