Idle Engine Sound

Benjobiker

Hey guys, as some of you guys have previously known, U used to own a Harley before my FZ8 and I am not used to the normal idle sounds. Can people post some video or mainly just audio to give me an idea. Yesterday I hit the rev limiter in first gear or like 2 seconds if that and now i am all paranoid and thinking i am hearing things. It sounds almost like a very quiet click (the same time of click you hear when you change from neutral to first but not all the way so it clicks) but again it is very very quiet (just mechanical sounding really).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FzFazn

I don't have a audio clip but you sure that your just not hearing the valve train or something? Took me while to get used to the fact that you dont have a hood to cover the engine sounds like in a car.

Just a thought although you can count me in the paranoid group. I'm always listening for things to watch for (despite my fz8 being totally reliable so far).

FzFazn

Edited to add video. Sorry its just my camera on the phone so the quality isnt perfect. Forgive the bike i just got home from visiting family and its abit rainy and messy here today.
http://youtu.be/dRjAj0AGOuo

Last edited:

SeñorJack

El Guapo
mine makes weird noises from time to time when shes cool. maybe let her run the temp up to 175 or so then give her a listen. once you get used to this sound, its the idling vtwin that seems a little off. but who can contest a pinned vtwin mmmmmmm yummy

Benjobiker

I hit 1050 miles today.
It very well might just be normal engine sounds. I will update and maybe post a video of her warm.

Glovik

Hey guys, as some of you guys have previously known, U used to own a Harley before my FZ8 and I am not used to the normal idle sounds. Can people post some video or mainly just audio to give me an idea. Yesterday I hit the rev limiter in first gear or like 2 seconds if that and now i am all paranoid and thinking i am hearing things. It sounds almost like a very quiet click (the same time of click you hear when you change from neutral to first but not all the way so it clicks) but again it is very very quiet (just mechanical sounding really).

I wouldn't worry. Honestly I've seen a lot of people with this same concern. I'm pretty sure someone else had posted a video of their idle last year sometime.

I'll admit I was the same way. When I bought the bike brand new, I was very scared of "hurting" my engine during that first 600 miles, trying to stay under 5900 and such. I remember one night I had been having a little too much fun driving around with friends, getting my RPMs up there briefly a couple of times, and pulling it into my garage and thinking I was hearing all sorts of crazy stuff.

The only bikes I had really listened to idle before that was my 1980 Suzuki gs450 and my dads Honda VTX 1800. You expect your brand new sport bike to sound quiet as a car, but as other have pointed out, this is a powerful engine with a lot of moving parts going on all at once, with no cover over it.

Another thing brought up was the temperature. Your bike sounds different when it first turns on. I think around 120F is when it starts evening out a little more. I always let my bike warm up to at least 120-130F before I start my ride, and even then I'm gentle for the first 10mins till shes all fired up.

All that being said, just enjoy the ride and remember you're sitting on a naked beast so it'll make a little noise.

If you're convinced it might be a bad sound though, get it checked out. I'd hate to sit here telling you the noise you hear is what we all hear, and something is in fact wrong. Although I highhhhly doubt hitting that rev limiter quick ruined your brand new Yammy. I hear of many people riding nice the first 50miles and then letting lose from there, saying raise the bike how it's going to be ridden. You're not the only one getting a little crazy early on.