I want a FZ8

rajdR

One thing I don't understand is folks saying "Well, I had to lay it down." So, you had to crash? Why? I'm pretty sure rubber has more traction than metal and plastics. It seems like most motorcycle crashes can be avoided, and the stories you hear about "Well I caught a patch of gravel, etc." are all just BS. Seems like most accidents are when the rider just takes it too far.

I got the same feeling, but it sure do happens alot. If u look at rnickeymouse at youtube and watch the crashes he manage to catch. Almost everyone is riding over their ability.

V

Vapordan

Even if you are experienced, accidents happen so fast that it's actually in slow motion! You see that car left turning on you, but you just aren't able to get the bike out of the danger zone. It's not for lack of trying, it's the laws of physics. You simply run out of time. You either wake up in pain, or you don't wake up. Nothing really prepares you for this except lots and lots of time in the saddle. The experience doesn't make you get the bike out of the danger zone any quicker, it simply forces you to slow down and pay attention so that you have some more time on your side.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGpanda

It seems like most motorcycle crashes can be avoided, and the stories you hear about "Well I caught a patch of gravel, etc." are all just BS. Seems like most accidents are when the rider just takes it too far.

What?! I watched my dad go down in front of my eyes when the ROAD turned to gravel doing 60. Trust me I am so scared of pebbles it's crazy.

I almost had my front end wash out going around a right hand 90 doing probably 50 and there was gravel and sand in the road right in the middle of the lane where car tires don't ride. Believe me and anyone else will tell you the littlest bit of gravel can ruin your day... or your life.

JSP

Administrator
What?! I watched my dad go down in front of my eyes when the ROAD turned to gravel doing 60. Trust me I am so scared of pebbles it's crazy.

I almost had my front end wash out going around a right hand 90 doing probably 50 and there was gravel and sand in the road right in the middle of the lane where car tires don't ride. Believe me and anyone else will tell you the littlest bit of gravel can ruin your day... or your life.

My dad went down in gravel going less than 5 miles an hour in his work parking lot and broke 8 ribs a few months ago!

I almost lost it on a straight away when the road turned to freshly dumped gravel for chip sealing. Horrible.

Any gravel at all in a corner is pucker factor. I HATE gravel with a passion. Scares the hell out of me.

B

bren

My dad went down in gravel going less than 5 miles an hour in his work parking lot and broke 8 ribs a few months ago!

I almost lost it on a straight away when the road turned to freshly dumped gravel for chip sealing. Horrible.

Any gravel at all in a corner is pucker factor. I HATE gravel with a passion. Scares the hell out of me.

The have just re-surfaced a road at the end of my street and it has that loose gravel all over it! shit myself coming around the corner yesterday cos my front wheel slid! dangerous shit!

sinclap2

Lazy

+A BIG 1

rajdR

I think he gets it now, it's dangerous to ride a motorcycle.
And to be honest, it's dangerous to ride for all of us, experienced or not.
It's a choice some of us do in life, cause we love it, that's how I see it.
I would've bought a snowmobile if I loved that, but I don't even though "all" my friends got it. First time I tested a street bike I knew it, I really really want one and didn't hesitate to buy a brand new fz8.

And if i'd crash, or when I do (as 99% of you say), I will not whine about it.
It's my own fault from the day I went to the shop and signed the paper (that I never will regret til the day I don't love riding).

Last edited:

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I feel like fessing up to my one crash. Fortunately I was only going about 10mph, turning left into the side street where I work. I leaned it way over for the heck of it while trail braking and both wheels broke traction. It felt like I went from complete control to kissing the pavement in 1/1000 of a second, and even though I was going really slow, it still hurt like hell. No gravel but my wheels were on the painted double yellow center line, and there were fresh tar snakes all over the road surface. I have a healthy respect for that corner now.

This was 4 years ago on my Honda Magna. The repair bill came to $1,300.

Last edited: