I want a FZ8

F

Fazed

My wife is 5'8" and cannot sit on our 8 safely enough to ride it. She is only 130lbs but her legs bairly touch the ground.

I'm about the same height and I struggle to reach the ground too. I just lean it over to one side more. Makes it challenging on sloped ground.

Killawatts

My wife is 5'8" and cannot sit on our 8 safely enough to ride it. She is only 130lbs but her legs bairly touch the ground.

Gonna have to go and sit on one today and see, maybe get a slightly lower seat if neccessary. If I can't put my feet on the ground thats a big no-no.

Killawatts

I'm about the same height and I struggle to reach the ground too. I just lean it over to one side more. Makes it challenging on sloped ground.

That just seems incredibly dangerous to me, everything I've read from everywhere says if you can't stand flat footed on the ground the bike is too tall for you.

F

Fazed

That just seems incredibly dangerous to me, everything I've read from everywhere says if you can't stand flat footed on the ground the bike is too tall for you.

Both my feet are on tip toes and I don't have a problem with it. I've been riding a fair few years now and have been like that on most bikes. For an inexperienced rider it might be. It's all about confidence and knowing your limitations. You only need to touch the ground when the bike is stationary.

H

Hoover

Is she 5'8" or 5'3"? Because here you say she is 5'3": http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-general-discussion/1075-short-rider-needs-help.html

Unless you got divorced and remarried within 4 months, lol.

Thats hangover typing again, shit, got to stop that. an 8 and a 3 look alot alike after a few!!!
I did think 5'3" was a bit small for a bloke!

Either way, think very seriously about this. I'd love to see you happy on an 8, I just don't think a 22 year old with no experience and very little knowledge belongs on a 100 hp, lightweight sportbike.
Again, just my 2 cents and a little age and wisdom, thats all.
If you think you can hack it, and the cost, then knock yourself out. As a forum member though, it would be remiss of me not to play devils advocate

Last edited:
C

Camo

I'm with Hoover in all honesty. Try a cheap 450 dirt wand for a few months then jump on an 8.

Hellgate

I really like a Hyabusa for a newer rider. I mean I can't recall how many times I almost crashed my Yamaha Vision 550 back in 1984... I mean it was only 55 HP.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Killawatts

Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 FZ8, figured a nice b-day present to myself. This thing is fun. Feels lighter than what it is, and is very manageable. Not so explosive that I feel I'm having problems controlling it.

Will post pics soon!

F

Fazed

Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 FZ8, figured a nice b-day present to myself. This thing is fun. Feels lighter than what it is, and is very manageable. Not so explosive that I feel I'm having problems controlling it.

Will post pics soon!

Cool, it is a good bike. Enjoy

Killawatts

Do you guys suggest buying modifications such as exhaust or the tail tidy kit from the dealer? This place has everything!

Killawatts

Should have negotiated it all in the price. I got my Arai and to bros slip on for cost and installed free.

They were not willing to negotiate. I got $400 bucks off the moto, and that was like pulling teeth. They know there's not that many of them around to be sold.

jonnyedwards1981

Strange if its a 2012 model to not have got more off as dealers are shifting stock to make way for the 2013 models now. The dealer price on mine was £7,499 an I paid £6,200 on the road for it, 2012 with zero miles and the threw in a tail tidy fitted too

rajdR

I'm 25, only got experience from mopeds and dirtbikes when I was younger.
My 8 is the first streetbike I got back in early june... I didn't really think people would start off with any less in my age at that time when I bought it.
I don't have real talent for riding bikes, play hockey, football, cars, video games etc. But I know i'm quite easy to learn, when I get interested.
I've watches tons of videos (youtube is really great for learning), been at 2 classes (1 practical and 1 just talking about risks and stuff).
I bought it new, cause I wanted the warranty. And I saw it as a plus that I have to take it easy in the beginning to break in the engine.
I've started off slow, even after the break in i'm going slow and just trying to learn the bike. Not til the end of the season, 6000km later, I feel quite comfortable with it. I also got the ABS version, it's so nice when ur in danger not have to be afraid to squeeze the brakes and it stops really quick.
I'm driving excavators in my job and got people around me all the time, I move the machines with trucks and I got risks to think about all the time wich has helped me I think...

That's my story about my 8, if u really think you're mature enough to take it slow and really learn then you will do fine I guess...

I got 2 mates who bought bikes about the same time as me, they doesn't have much "talent" or what ever to call it. They've both crashed, one of them almost crashed twice. And one 3rd guy, who drives like a maniac from time to time, he almost crashed too when coming into a intersection too fast.
I don't think i've been lucky, just more aware I guess.

Now you already got your 8, gz and have fun =)

Killawatts

I'm 25, only got experience from mopeds and dirtbikes when I was younger.
My 8 is the first streetbike I got back in early june... I didn't really think people would start off with any less in my age at that time when I bought it.
I don't have real talent for riding bikes, play hockey, football, cars, video games etc. But I know i'm quite easy to learn, when I get interested.
I've watches tons of videos (youtube is really great for learning), been at 2 classes (1 practical and 1 just talking about risks and stuff).
I bought it new, cause I wanted the warranty. And I saw it as a plus that I have to take it easy in the beginning to break in the engine.
I've started off slow, even after the break in i'm going slow and just trying to learn the bike. Not til the end of the season, 6000km later, I feel quite comfortable with it. I also got the ABS version, it's so nice when ur in danger not have to be afraid to squeeze the brakes and it stops really quick.
I'm driving excavators in my job and got people around me all the time, I move the machines with trucks and I got risks to think about all the time wich has helped me I think...

That's my story about my 8, if u really think you're mature enough to take it slow and really learn then you will do fine I guess...

I got 2 mates who bought bikes about the same time as me, they doesn't have much "talent" or what ever to call it. They've both crashed, one of them almost crashed twice. And one 3rd guy, who drives like a maniac from time to time, he almost crashed too when coming into a intersection too fast.
I don't think i've been lucky, just more aware I guess.

Now you already got your 8, gz and have fun =)

Yea I definitely respect the motorcycle for what it is. I let the throttle rip once, and I've never felt acceleration like that before. Scared the crap out of me, and I suppose that's a good thing.

I've read lots of articles, watched lots of videos, and also have a good friend who is an experienced motorcycle rider and he met me at the dealership to ride home with me. Also, the MSF course helps a lot.

One thing I don't understand is folks saying "Well, I had to lay it down." So, you had to crash? Why? I'm pretty sure rubber has more traction than metal and plastics. It seems like most motorcycle crashes can be avoided, and the stories you hear about "Well I caught a patch of gravel, etc." are all just BS. Seems like most accidents are when the rider just takes it too far.