I want a FZ8

Ben1105

Well, I guess you get to hear a story from someone who apparently does not know everything. I am 16, 17 in two weeksish, I got my FZ8 back in June, when we were originally looking for a bike (With my dad, he funded it) I kept trying to convince him a cheaper used bike was a good idea, but the stealerships convinced him that a brand spankin' new bike would be much safer and more reliable. I went into it knowing I was going to either drop it or crash it at one point. Towards the middle of August I did indeed crash it, was probably going 60-70 on a road that I knew was not in the best of shape, also note that it had just finished a torrential downpour not twenty minutes earlier. Was cruising along and slowing down for an upcoming intersection when all of the sudden I felt myself hitting a pothole, then I woke up 30 feet past the bike, I was maybe 500ft in front of the intersection when I hit the pothole, the bike was lying just past it. I was wearing jeans, my mesh riding jacket(armored), and my helmet. I was not wearing gloves, but I got lucky as the road was so wet that I only got blisters on my hands. The bike had 4300$ worth of repairs to do. I don't remember anything about the crash itself, just the before and after. I get the feeling that I held on tight for part of it and at some point was thrown off. Apart from the blisters and some bruising I came out completely fine. Did not have insurance as it would have been more then the bike cost in a year and a half. Luckily my crash was at 1 or 2 in the morning and managed to make it home without dealing with a police report. Title is completely clear and I got it back mid September. Anyways, I like to think I know everything but I know I don't know everything. I've put about 3000 miles on it since September, around 4,000 overall. And your challenger doesn't have shit on the 8.

Oh and in my opinion the 8 is a great starter bike as it feels light as shit, is very stable, and has very smooth power so it doesn't really take you by surprise.

Last edited:

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Been thinking seriously about getting an 8, I absolutely love the looks of it. However, I've receved different opinions on whether this is a good first bike or not. I'm not gonna be riding it like a pissed off teenager, I'm 22 and pay my own bills.

Another question is, the 2013 FZ8 comes with a fully adjustable suspension, (front fork?) I don't know, I know very little about motorcycles. Therefore, is it worth the wait for a novice rider to pick up a 2013?

Can the suspension be changed later ifI feel the need? I plan on keeping the bike for a while, and possibly modding it extensively.

I figure the pre-2013 models are going to go cheap, since 2013 is apparently a much improved model.

Thanks!

The question is more about what you're comfortable dropping as a new rider: an old beater bike or a new bike. I always recommend an old beater bike until you get really comfortable riding a motorcycle. Plus old beater bikes can usually be easily sold for what you paid for them. A new bike is going to depreciate a lot even if you don't drop it; and if you do drop it, you'll really lose your shirt.

B

bren

Coming from a country where new riders have to ride a 250cc for a year before getting anything bigger, it's hard to get my head around having an FZ8 as a first bike.

I was lucky. I lived in QLD when i got my motorcycle licence. i got in just before they changed the rules on licencing. I did a weekend course, and was fully qualifed to ride anything! I had my learners when i got the course, and had my opens 48 hours later! i hadnt even touched a bike before then! lol\

My first bike was a 2008 Suzuki SV650. great bike to learn on!

Mitchelldietz

I just don't understand it, the MSF course didn't teach you how to take a corner? And, just to put it bluntly, there's a vast difference between a 17 yr old and 22 yr old.

the point is you WILL crash your first bike. but i dont think your really looking for advice, sounds like your mind has been set before you even made this thread.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I think this is a great first bike IF you have some experience I rode the likes of mini/dirt bikes when I was young and had a 650 in my early days but Riding around the block a few times not enough. This bike is plenty fast and could bite ya. But you can handle it if you ain't stupid

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RealoRc

I'm going to give the same advice as everyone else.. Get a used 250 and master it!
Look up 'motorcycle gymkhana' on youtube, hopefully you can be confident in making maneuvers somewhat like those before you upgrade.

I'm 31 and the FZ8 is my first bike. Dropped it on the left and right side at near zero speed, hardly any scratches thanks to the frame sliders. If it was a 250cc, I could've held it up but I weigh 135lbs and the FZ8 is too heavy to stop from dropping.

I can't test the limits of how far I can lean the bike around corners/cones because it's a new bike and an expensive one, it's a mental barrier. That's keeping me from advancing my skills. Everyone can ride fast, it's the slow maneuvers that are difficult. With just 200mi on my bike, I'm more confident doing 70mph on the highway than I am doing a tight low speed U-turn around a cone.

Also, look up insurance costs. The FZ8 costs more than double the price of insuring a 250cc. First year costs on a new FZ8 for a new rider is going to really lighten your wallet! The 2013 FZ8 will still be in showrooms next October.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Black Widow, he is 22. TWENTY TWO!!! Have you ever seen a twenty year old ride or drive anything within the speed limit? I say get at 250 and hope for the best. I remember being 20 and riding like an idiot and crashing literally every week.

My neighbor has a 250 and can easily go over the speed limit, and can just as easily crash , or get hit by a car ,as an 800. Like you said, you did it when you were 20, crashed and burned, just as everyone does while learnig a sport. and you are still alive and riding. Lots of 20- 30 year veteran bikers have lost control and crashed and been killed. Live life responsibly ,but go to the edge once in a while. 22 years old does not mean that you are irresponsible and need to me limited.I know a whole lot of 30-40-50 year old irresponsible people.

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
the point is you WILL crash your first bike. but i dont think your really looking for advice, sounds like your mind has been set before you even made this thread.

I never crashed my first bike.... 15,900 kms on it. Not saying i won't crash ever, just saying i DID NOT crash my first streetbike, never even dropped it.

C

Camo

Is the 8 a good first bike? A debate that cannot be won by any amount of reasoning or opinions, as you can see.
In all honesty, I'm sick of the question but the simple answer is yes and no.
You could get the 8 as your first bike, ride it without incident for years as you could with any bike really. You may have a few sphincter tightening moments sure but you survive unscathed.
OR
You leave the dealership, open her up on the very first straight, enter the first corner way to hot, grab a fist full of brakes as you try to stand the bike back up and have a head on collision with a huge truck.
Either way there will be someone saying "I told you so".

Borrow a helmet and some gear and go for a test ride. It'll be pretty clear for you after that.
All bikes are dangerous. You can only minimise the risks by being aware of them and taking every precaution, even then there's no guarantees.

Killawatts

Is the 8 a good first bike? A debate that cannot be won by any amount of reasoning or opinions, as you can see.
In all honesty, I'm sick of the question but the simple answer is yes and no.
You could get the 8 as your first bike, ride it without incident for years as you could with any bike really. You may have a few sphincter tightening moments sure but you survive unscathed.
OR
You leave the dealership, open her up on the very first straight, enter the first corner way to hot, grab a fist full of brakes as you try to stand the bike back up and have a head on collision with a huge truck.
Either way there will be someone saying "I told you so".

Borrow a helmet and some gear and go for a test ride. It'll be pretty clear for you after that.
All bikes are dangerous. You can only minimise the risks by being aware of them and taking every precaution, even then there's no guarantees.

I wish I could test ride one of these, but tucson is not that big of a city and there are a total of three of these bikes within 200 miles of me, maybe Phoenix may have some.

BIGpanda

Get it, my first bike was a cbr600rr never rode before. Didn't take a course knew the fundamentals of shifting and went at it. Never dropped it and I rode that bike like an asshole. Sold it for what I paid after a year. Went bikeless for about 3 years then I got the 8 this year and am still loving it. Just ride responsibly and know your limits and you will be fine. It's all your maturity and common sense to not ride like a dick when another bike pulls up behind you or a car wants to get embarrassed at a red light. I say go for it, I don't believe in the notion to get a small size bike for a first bike, I want power to get the hell out of the way in a near accident situation not have to fumble with shifting down and dumping it just to get enough power to scrape by. FUCK THAT! 600 in a sportbike or 800 in our bike is perfect for beginners. This bike is no torque beast by any means you will be fine, in fact it's quite timid compared to me 600rr

I agree 100% with camo on this, ride responsible and slow within the speed limit and be safe and learn all your countersteering and cornering/stopping basics and you will be fine. Keep that notion every time you ride and enjoy it. Or crack it the first time you get on without knowing shit and lose it, it's simple.

ride like a dick- loose a bunch of money and skin

ride like a responsible adult that you are supposed to be- be fine

Last edited:

master paper clip

Same here, the 8 was my first street bike and before that I just rode my buddys bike and some dirt bikes, bike isn't what's dangerous its bad riders and the people on the road that make the road dangerous, if your careful and know your limits fallow the rules and youll be fine, the 8 is a great bike its calm if u want it to or a rocket if u choose so, thats why its the best of both worlds

mrthompson

My thoughts is how well you fit the bike. If you can't stand flat footed on the bike and kept control of it when you toss it back and forth between your thighs then you probably need a smaller bike. I will say the 8 is a very well balanced bike. The reason a lot of people feel it is a beginner bike. It is one of the few bikes I can come to a complete stop for 2-3 sec and then take off. It also has a longer chassis that leaves you able to crack into it and not flip the bike on you head. But enough power and technic you can get the front off the ground. Another good part is that it is a detuned bike so later down the road after you get experience you can change the bike and get some good performance. Which some of us is till trying to figure out how much.

On the what year note. I would buy the 13. Upgrades are nice and like before with experience you will want the adjust ability out of it. Down fall is you pay for it up front. I'm still waiting and wondering what the retune is all about.

Personally if it fits you get it. My wife is not that experienced and she loves riding mine. Her down fall is she is short and almost dropped it because of that. But if it was here's I would lower it for her.

With that some food for thought is we bought her a 94 katana 600 as a starter bike. Yes she dropped it and has beat it up some. She has learned to ride on it and now she is ready for a upgrade but the down fall is that for us to get a decent price out of the bike we are gonna have to pit some money into the bike. Moral of the story? Don't buy something you don't intend on keeping. Yeah a scratch on your dream bike might be a heart break but not as much as a heart break as trying to get rid of a bike to get your dream bike in a year or so.

S

Shock

My FZ8 was my first bike and believe me it's awesome! Any bike is dangerous as a first bike. It all depends on how you ride it. Be careful

n00b

Avid Rider
FZ8 is my first bike, and I have no prior 2 wheel experience. Plenty of driving experience with 10 second cars, so I'm not riding to get the thrill of acceleration. I'm also 43, so I've worked some of that out of my system. I think the fact that the bike is new has helped me, since i've been keeping it low on the revs. Anyway, it was more bike than i was looking for, but got a smoking deal.
It all depends on your mentality. It's not too much bike if you use common sense.

H

Hoover

Remember folks, just because one of us is capable of handling an 800cc bike as our first bike, doesn't mean we all are :box:.
Skill levels are as individual as haircuts. Already stated that he doesn't know much about bikes, that is a bit of a red flag :disapprove:.
The general rule is start small and grow. Now sure, some of us can hit a homer in little league, some of us can graduate high school at 14, some of us can drink a bottle of vodka a night :drunks:. But not most of us.
When I was 12, I lusted after a Lamborghini Countach, even if I could have afforded one, there was no way on earth I could drive one :cry4:.
Don't mean to sound like an old fuddy duddy, as I'm not, just offering a few words of caution. :2cents::2cents:

sinclap2

Lazy
I'll throw my :2cents: in too...

I got back into riding with a GS500 (I had to the Learning Course. A little humiliating for a 36 year old) had it for about a year and a half then sold it. Then another year and half later (maybe a little longer) bought the FZ8.

At the time the GS500 gave me the feel of a bigger/weighter bike, but it also felt better than a 250. For me 250's are too small (I'm 187 cm and weigh smidge over 100kg. So, I am not what you would call small) and I look ridiculous on one...so I was told!

After the GS500, the step up to the FZ8, was awesome.

But each to their own. That is my experience.

Killawatts

The mention of size brings up an interesting point, I'm 5'8 160lbs, (75kg or so), I think I could handle a bike this size without a problem, but I'm not sure. Would have to go sit on it and see.

H

Hoover

The mention of size brings up an interesting point, I'm 5'8 160lbs, (75kg or so), I think I could handle a bike this size without a problem, but I'm not sure. Would have to go sit on it and see.

My wife is 5'8" and cannot sit on our 8 safely enough to ride it. She is only 130lbs but her legs bairly touch the ground.