I smell gas near the fuel tank

socal

is there no water in the wheel well also? im just messing. tilt the tank up and purge the system a few times to see if its a hose. also check the seal on the cap.

DanS

Commuter
:D The title of your post is cracking me up!... maybe it's the vodka tonics but smelling gas next to the fuel tank is some funny shit...lol ... Did the alleged gas smell occur during a fill up? Did you soak your crotch with gas when it overflowed? :D... Sorry RoadKill just f'ing with you... go faster and you won't smell it :D

DanS

Commuter
No you shouldn't be smelling gas... unless you soaked your crotch :D ... I agree with socal, prop your tank and do a leak check

RoadKill

lol yeah i got a laugh when i posted it. so i proped the tank when i changed the filter and didn't see and leaks. but the tank was on reserve.

socal

filler o ring? did you purge w/ key while looking at lines could be pinhole? Or is it running rich check o2 sensor

Last edited:

RoadKill

filler o ring? did you purge w/ key while looking at lines could be pinhole? Or is it running rich check o2 sensor

the smell is coming from under the tank. i don't know how to do a "purge" or what with a key means and how do i check the o2 sensor?

rug_burn

That's happenning to me too. It got stronger when I lifted the cap... If I could only find some matches, I'd take a look inside - but I think I'm gettin' closer to the source.

No, really- (just ribbin' you) Sounds like you might have a leaky hose connection. Maybe the hose is not all the way on straight, or the clamp is crooked. There're probably several- the overflow line and/or vent line, and the main pressurized fuel line. If you did any work recently this would be a good place to start. You can probably see it.

socal

o2 has a designated resistance no idea what for this one, you can check with a ohm meter. by purge i mean put in key flip red switch turn key you'll hear the fuel pump purge or pressurize the system , the little whine. since the hoses are now pressurized possible leaks will be more apparent correct? also make sure the filler neck bolts are all tight and sealing. but dont strip them ok