I just confirmed that my speedo is not accurate.

dtbrown

I wanted to test if my speedometer was actually accurate especially at higher speed. I downloaded an app called speedometer and tested app in my car to compare and it was 100% accurate to my car and another car. I tested it tonight on my FZ8 and confirmed that it was 5 to 6 mph higher compared to GPS speedometer app. I figured I would share this information and suggest if anyone wants to confirm about their bike to use this application and test it for yourself.

Rotaryknight

For me it's 4mph over than actual from 20-50mph, 5 over from 50-around 80mph, 6 over from 80-110 and 7-8 over 110 to 150

I would say 8-10% slower than what is actually showing on your speedo is about right

Last edited:

myklobe

My speedo is 10% too high at every range. Tested with GPS and my wife's car (which we know is right).
4mph too high in the 40s.
6mph too high in the 60s.
8mph too high in the 80s.
10mph too high in the 100s - I assume ;)

I've thought about taking mine back to the dealership and crying about it since my bike is "wearing out" 10% faster. I'm adding 10% more miles all the time, which doesn't seem like a lot, but in the long run, that number could be huge.

eru000

Yeah, most vehicles (motorcycle especially, for some reason) aren't accurate. Get a speedohealer and you can correct this. Works for changed gearing, too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BI1U8VQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: SpeedoDRD Y1 Speedometer Calibrator: Automotive[/ame]

Woody146

Banned
Slower. Speedos are given an intentional error in the other direction. Manufacturers would rather the vehicle be going slower than you'd think to avoid lawsuits.

Interesting...all motorcycles? I speedo matched a few bikes when I got my flashed ecu back because I thought it was off(was NOT..just that much faster) and it matched all the bikes I did it with..even tried with a Harley.

eru000

Interesting...all motorcycles? I speedo matched a few bikes when I got my flashed ecu back because I thought it was off(was NOT..just that much faster) and it matched all the bikes I did it with..even tried with a Harley.

I wouldn't go so far as to say ALL. But the majority of vehicles on the road (not just motorcycles) aren't 100% accurate from the factory. Motorcycles just tend to be a little worse for some reason. My old '84 Honda was 10% off.

D

Deleted member 3631

I found out through working at my dealer that yamaha has a 10% room of "play" above and below straight from the factory.

eru000

Do you think they'll correct it under manufacturer's warranty or force me to spend $70 on a speedo healer?

According to the manufacturer, it's not something to "correct". It's *meant* to be that way. So, no. Get the speedohealer. It's worth it. You can record top speeds, anyway. And some other cool things, I think.

Umyaya

Do you think they'll correct it under manufacturer's warranty or force me to spend $70 on a speedo healer?

They won't. I asked and they thought I was stupid. Since changing it is illegal. Get a speedohealer. I didn't even install the top speed option.

Woody146

Banned
I was gonna say I would think they would look at you all crazy since it's from the factory that way...im just gonna use it as a excuse IF I ever get pulled over (knock on wood) lol

eru000

I was gonna say I would think they would look at you all crazy since it's from the factory that way...im just gonna use it as a excuse IF I ever get pulled over (knock on wood) lol

It's only going to hurt you there. "Officer, but my speedo said I was doing 80!" "Oh, well I clocked you at 75, so I'll give you the ticket for 80 now ;)"

Fazer 8

My Fazer is only reading about 7% high, which is better than most of my previous bikes which were more like 10% high. The odometers are usually more accurate. None of the cars I've checked vs GPS have been more than a few percent high.

Remember some years ago Yamaha got busted for tachs that read high, on the new R6 at the time I think.

eru000

Looks interesting ... where does it plug in or fit?

It connects in line between the speed sensor and what I imagine is the ECU (or the instrument cluster). It basically manually changes the signal it gets from the speed sensor to be correct.