I am about to buy... need advice...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3631
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3631

I own three other bikes...
Looking for a mid weight bike...
At work we just pulled in a used 2011 fz8 and the boss lady is offering me a sweet deal on it

Is there anything I should be aware of when doing the final look over on this bad boy. The bike has 10,000 miles and looks to be cared for its whole life.

Need advice thanks guys!

rug_burn

if she gives you a good deal, this is a tremendously sweet bike, with no bad habits. Mine has 21k on it, and I love it more every day. I do mainly off-the beaten track commuting, like 7 days a week, and love the 41 to 45 mpg I get. I go on several canyon roads here in So Cal, about 10 miles or so at high speed and appreciate the light, quick handling, good brakes, and decent suspension travel, able to absorb the dip and bump here and there.
It needs a windshield, even if small- I got the Puig- and it goes with the general "Transformer-ish" look of the bike. You need something- anyone here will agree. There seems to be a sheet of air that comes off that little shield over the speedo, etc, that always wanted to pull my helmet off until I installed the windscreen.

As for tires, I'd recommend Michelin PR2, -3 or -4 depending on your preferences. They last a long time, and give good, predictable grip... Keep your weight forward, inside and low in the turns. T

Go for it.

we'll see you soon...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3631

Sweet man I appreciate it! I'll look for a wind shield hopefully to ride with some forum guys!

master paper clip

Only thing to check for is the links that connect your dogbone to your shock.... As far as I remember that's the only issue that's come about so far but its not very common

eru000

How are you guys getting 40+ mpg? I get around 30mpg if I'm lucky. My last one was 27. Granted, I do ride pretty hard (quick acceleration, lots of idling at lights, and I'm commuting in heavy city traffic with lots of lane splitting), but I imagine it'd still be higher. For a small-ish 4 cylinder engine.

When I ride with my girlfriend, I get a little higher. I think the highest I've gotten is 37. She rides her bike a little slower, so I don't accelerate as hard, and I keep the revs low. She get's almost 60mpg on her 250 twin.

I'm running stock exhaust/airbox, with a 2B Juicebox (PCV) running a slightly-richer map (but not super-rich). Pretty sure it's stock gearing (idle in 1st gear is 9mph). I usually cruise around 4-5k, and if needed, I'll bring it up to 7-8 in daily riding (for harder acceleration). If I'm flogging it, I'll go up to 10-11k, but that's for short bursts of hard acceleration).

I noticed that when I run with the Coffman's Shorty exhaust, I'll get a little migher fuel mileage. But I don't use it for my daily commute. I'll swap it out for longer rides only (it's too obnoxiously loud to ride with at 7am).

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
We're using 93 octane with at least 10% ethenol, I think the euro gents are using "jungle juice" as Jeremy clarkson calls it..... 101 octane no ethenol...? Someone correct me if I'm wrong :p

desertdude

whats a sweet deal on the bike? Ive been trying to sell my 2011 at $5500 with lots of nice parts and no bites at all. Just wondering how low I need to go is all.

Tix

It needs a windshield, even if small- I got the Puig- and it goes with the general "Transformer-ish" look of the bike. You need something- anyone here will agree.

OK, I have to be "That Guy" and disagree. But, only because I enjoy letting the wind hold me up while I ride. :cool:

Bill

yoshi

go Yoshi
just put it on my fz8 , looks and sounds great , don't think you'll be disappointed.

D

Deleted member 3631

Well I'm bringer her home tomorrow. Out the door I'm at 5100 smackers. I don't think it's too shabby

D

Deleted member 3631

I'm picking her up tomorrow. Out the door is 5100 for a nice bike. The guy who owned it prior put a danmoto pipe on it but I'mma mod my old shorty muzzy pipe from my zrx and put it on it :)

bauers007

whats a sweet deal on the bike? Ive been trying to sell my 2011 at $5500 with lots of nice parts and no bites at all. Just wondering how low I need to go is all.
I looked at new and used FZ8s for quite a few months before pulling the trigger. It seems like the used market is pretty saturated because there are also so many new clearance bikes out there right now. Seems like the used bikes with under 5k miles priced below $5500 were selling quickly. I found one 2011 close by with a few mods that I wanted to pick up but it sold too fast. $5k with less than 1k miles and it was gone in a day.

I got my new 2013 for $6100 out the door (not including tax/registration) so I decided it was worth the extra few hundred $$ for a brand new 2013. Depending on the mileage on yours, $5500 seems like a good price to me esp with some mods, but it's still competing with $6k brand new FZ8s.

desertdude

thats some news....just not very good news. $8200 plus tax 3 years ago and now it won't sell for $5500 all decked out. Sucks.

jstilly85

Just gabbed mine yesterday. Showroom 2011 FZ8 w/ 3,200 miles, tastefully modded. $5000 cash, I feel like I could have done better.

rug_burn

I think the FZ8 market is depressed, and likely to stay that way due to the FZ09- (yeah, I know, I said it...) But after riding with one, i was not that impressed. They're too tall- try getting down real low on that tank at 120 mph. Yeah, obviously, The 3 cylinder thing is a middle ground in the low end high torque (V twin) vs high rpm screamer (4 cyl) debate, but I still favor the 4 cyl..
In the end, even if does not have investment grade resale value, what you got is a real well balanced bike, with a killer top end, which is what you wanted in the first place, right?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3631

A few things I didn't like playing with the fz09
Working at a yamaha dealer we get a little play room... but the fz09 can't take a slip on system. You have to "chop" factory and install that way. Also seat and tank design made it feel like I was riding my buddies 1988 hawk with a skinny gas tank. I felt the fz8 was plenty.

Woody146

Banned
A few things I didn't like playing with the fz09
Working at a yamaha dealer we get a little play room... but the fz09 can't take a slip on system. You have to "chop" factory and install that way. Also seat and tank design made it feel like I was riding my buddies 1988 hawk with a skinny gas tank. I felt the fz8 was plenty.

To me it felt identical to my buddies new aprilia shiver 750 which felt identical to my 2001 rm 125 dirtbike...frame is not as beefy as ours..not to mention the 9 just looks unfinished..haven't got to ride one but have sat on a bunch..I'll take my souped up 8 every day over a 9

Larry P

Market is pretty slow for the FZ8, tried putting it up for sale a while back to test waters and got no bites period for a 2012 with very nice trim. I think in a dense city a street triple would be better but if you get open highways the FZ8 should be the winnar. Great price for a 2011. $5k for a mint bike is a good deal almost regardless of what you buy.