How-To: Replace Rear Brake Pedal?

Bagman

So recently, the inevitable happened, and I dropped the bike trying to make a tight u-turn that I (until now) have always made without issue. Sigh. SO.. the first thing I did was order up Motovation USA sliders. lol. The only "real" damage to the bike is that the rear brake lever bent inwards. I just want to verify what's needs to be done to replace it. Looking at the parts diagram, looks like it's held in place with a bolt/pin and a cotter pin. Any other disassembly required?

For those interested on the other damage, it was:

• Turn Signal got scratched
  • Side-View Mirror got scratched
  • Bar-end got scratched.
  • tip of Front-Brake lever got scratched
  • minor scratch to my pretty damn new R77-D Yosh Pipe
  • Rear Brake Pedal bent inwards
  • cracked outer cowel. crack right around signal (not noticeable)
  • minor crack to main upper cowl along the bottom ridge just below headlight on the side. (crack on the fold, where the plastic folds under so painted surface faces ground)

Total priced out damage (not including pipe) $850 CDN. Those damn plastic cowls are $$.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
Sorry to hear man!

You can't bend it back into place? I've done that on dirtbikes and my buddies aprilia shiver 750

You should have asked if ppl have spare parts! Save you a lot of money..or the perfect time to start modding

Bagman

Being aluminum, I am not too inclined to bend it back and weaken the metal. The pedal itself is not overly expensive.

Also - to clarify - I am just replacing the pedal for now. Indeed, I plan (in the future) to change out levers for aftermarket. I'll probably replace the turn signal over the winter (and look to the forum for a minty fresh used one). The cowls (unless looking) are still in mint "looking" shape (lol). Doubt I'll replace those at all this year - if ever.

I got a baby on the way, and a house to buy.

Larry P

I bent my rear brake pedal about 2 months ago and replaced it. The springs were very annoying but breaking the peg loose was a pita. Took like 20-30 mins.

Bagman

Mission accomplished, and the new rear brake pedal is installed.

• I needed a few different sizes of "Allen"-head sockets for my ratchet, and a 10mm wrench.
  • I unscrewed the aluminum kick-cover for the rear-set and that exposed two bolts to remove one of the brake fixtures. A 10mm bolt on the back of the rear-seat held on another small piece of brake harness/fixture.
  • I removed the cotter-pin and tapped out the pin holding the brake-pedal at the back.
  • I used the spring-puller that came with my Yosh pipe to very easily remove two springs needed. One tiny one, and one larger one, and then removed the two bolts holding the rear-seat to the frame.
The real pain was the largest allen bolt holding the foot-rest . With the whole rear-seat assembly off the bike I used a pipe-wrench (don't have a vice) to grab hold of the foot-rest, and got the wife to use the ratchet on the bolt. She pulled 1 way, I steadied and torqued the other way on the pipe-wrench. Difficult, but it worked. Blue Loctite used from factory made it all the more difficult. I grabbed hold with the pipe-wrench all around were the foot-rest's hinge is.

Anyhoo.. I couldn't find any kind of instruction, so I hope this helps anyone in the future.

Davor_

My wife laid down my bike while trying to do any turn and the rear brake got bent, I just bent it back into place!