How to install right mirror extender?

I know this is probably really stupid and excuse my ignorance, but I recently installed a bar mirror extender on the left side/clutch side successfully, however I am unable to successfully install the right side/brake mirror properly. I know Yamaha makes a reverse thread for the brake side, so when I thread the bottom of the screw counterclockwise it is fine. The next stop would be to lock the top nut to secure the mirror into place, however when I try to tighten the top nut clockwise/right it ends up causing the bottom of the pin to unthread itself. How can I fix this issue? I thought a solution would be to tighten the top nut clockwise/right first and then insert the bottom of the pin clockwise into the base of the brake lever, however, I am unable to tighten the top of the nut clockwise enough on its own. Hope this isn't too confusing or a stupid question, help please, thanks.

lmracefan

I don't usually turn the nut as much as just hold it in place while tightening the mirror counter clockwise. I have extensions on mine so I know what you're running into.