How many gallons is a "full tank" for you guys?

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I'm convinced that running on higher octane premium when your bike runs fine on regular gas is a waste of money. I found this seemingly authoritarian article to explain why.

eru000

I'm convinced that running on higher octane premium when your bike runs fine on regular gas is a waste of money. I found this seemingly authoritarian article to explain why.

Exactly my point. However, I've been noticing a slight ping (not sure if its pre-detonation or valve noise), so I'm gonna try a tank on 91 instead of 87 to see if it cures it.

badgerbrraaap

I guess its a matter of personal opinion. This article is based on your average car tho. I would never put premium in my Honda Accord. That would definitely be a waste of money. When it comes to my bike I'd prefer it to run better than "fine". I want it to run great. And for the extra dollar per tank I see that as totally worth it

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

eru000

I guess its a matter of personal opinion.

I hate to unnecessarily argue (actually, sometimes it is fun), but it really isn't. It's a matter of fact. There are a number of sources which explain in-depth about what octane rating really is.

Unless your engine is specifically designed for it (ours doesn't) and/or it's a high-compression engine (high compression ratio, or forced-induction), there is absolutely no need for high-octane fuel. The exception to this is if your engine pings/knocks (which if it isn't designed for 87, there's probably something else to blame for that and should be checked out). That is a sign of detonation, or fuel igniting before the spark goes off. That can cause major damage to your engine if it is severe, or run that way for a long time. However, if your engine is not severely knocking (it's hard to not notice that) there is no reason, other than wasting money, to use fuel over 87-octane.

See the bottom of the Wikipedia article for sources.

Woody146

Banned
I don't understand why you care so much what others run in their bikes...you keep quoting other forums and Wikipedia........who gives a shit! Just ride the damn thing and enjoy it!

This was a thread started on how many gallons is a full tank...not what gas they run...the only reason I brought it up is because I have physically seen a side by side....and they are different....simple as that.

eru000

I don't understand why you care so much what others run in their bikes...you keep quoting other forums and Wikipedia........who gives a shit! Just ride the damn thing and enjoy it!

This was a thread started on how many gallons is a full tank...not what gas they run...the only reason I brought it up is because I have physically seen a side by side....and they are different....simple as that.

To be truthfully honest, I don't care. It doesn't keep me up at night, and other than the 30-something seconds it takes to read and write these replies, I don't think about it. I just like helping people understand things better and make informed decisions.

In other words, just trying to help! :)

toothycardus

But you have to point out when people are talking pure shite, Octane rating is only for different compression engines, nothing else no extra HP or MPG. its a placebo effect people think it will go faster and further and therefore it does go "faster and further" :)

badgerbrraaap

I hate to unnecessarily argue (actually, sometimes it is fun), but it really isn't. It's a matter of fact. There are a number of sources which explain in-depth about what octane rating really is.

Unless your engine is specifically designed for it (ours doesn't) and/or it's a high-compression engine (high compression ratio, or forced-induction), there is absolutely no need for high-octane fuel. The exception to this is if your engine pings/knocks (which if it isn't designed for 87, there's probably something else to blame for that and should be checked out). That is a sign of detonation, or fuel igniting before the spark goes off. That can cause major damage to your engine if it is severe, or run that way for a long time. However, if your engine is not severely knocking (it's hard to not notice that) there is no reason, other than wasting money, to use fuel over 87-octane.

See the bottom of the Wikipedia article for sources.

Have you run the 2 different octanes in your bike? I have have and there's a noticeable difference. At least when you give her the berries. If your just putting down the road at 5k then there's no real difference probably but I ride heavy on the throttle for the most part

eru000

Have you run the 2 different octanes in your bike? I have have and there's a noticeable difference. At least when you give her the berries. If your just putting down the road at 5k then there's no real difference probably but I ride heavy on the throttle for the most part

Actually, yes. I've been running pretty much only 87 since I got it a month ago. I just filled up last night with 93. I'll see how it feels over the next day or two, but my commute this morning didn't feel any different (and I beat on her pretty badly).

MotoZen

I just put in Sunoco 91 octane and haven't noticed any difference so far.
Also, I waited for my f-trip to come on and put in 3.3 gallons.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

rug_burn

I usually gt about 180 miles on a tank. I actually got a little lover 200 one time, although it was completely empty when I finally got to a gas station to fill it up.

But as for the octane discussion- the knocking thing with low octane fuel is not so noticeable anymore with our computer controlled engines because they have anti-knock sensors which immediately retard the spark, and the engine doesn't knock.

So everyone who doesn't understand that thinks their engine doesn't need high octane fuel, and in a sense it doesn't if you're just keeping up with traffic on the freeway. You won't notice it in low power, cruising conditions.
However, spark advance is where you get all the power in an engine, an old school drag racer once told me, and he was right. You get the pressure in the cylinder for the entire stroke of the crank, not just 3/4 of it, like when you retard the spark. You can get more power out of the engine when you are using high octane fuel.

If you really want to check this out, find a buddy with another FZ8, one run 87 octane, the other 91 octane and do some side by side tests...

MattMorton

I typically go about 120 miles to a tank and put between 2.7 and 3.5 gallons in it. Depending on how mean i am to it. I've always run 93 octane in mine...

9 Lives

I usually gt about 180 miles on a tank. I actually got a little lover 200 one time, although it was completely empty when I finally got to a gas station to fill it up.

But as for the octane discussion- the knocking thing with low octane fuel is not so noticeable anymore with our computer controlled engines because they have anti-knock sensors which immediately retard the spark, and the engine doesn't knock.

So everyone who doesn't understand that thinks their engine doesn't need high octane fuel, and in a sense it doesn't if you're just keeping up with traffic on the freeway. You won't notice it in low power, cruising conditions.
However, spark advance is where you get all the power in an engine, an old school drag racer once told me, and he was right. You get the pressure in the cylinder for the entire stroke of the crank, not just 3/4 of it, like when you retard the spark. You can get more power out of the engine when you are using high octane fuel.

If you really want to check this out, find a buddy with another FZ8, one run 87 octane, the other 91 octane and do some side by side tests...

This bike does not have a knock sensor, nor do most bikes.

HeresMyMind

I can tell you guys all ride much more aggressive than me! LoL. Sitting up in that power band. My first tank I got 43.6mpg and the 2nd tank I got 41.9mpg. I drive it like i drive my car, if I'm just cruising I'm in 5th or 6th at 3k rpms.

I got 110mpg with 2 bars left on the gas indicator

-B

rug_burn

What makes you say that, about it having no knock sensor? every computer controlled enmgine from the 1984 on has a ping sensor... that's why they don't knock. Hello.

Geanmage13

Hey guys, i usually fill it up at 130-150 when my f-trip light turns on but the most i 've ever rode was 188 miles but when i put gas, i only put 3,8 gal.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
:stirpot:

Have any of you used non ethanol 93 octane fuel.....

I went for a bad a$$ ride with my 2006 carbureted vmax with ethanol 93.
Then filled up with non-ethanol 93.

Sounds different
Smoother throttle response
Top end sounded better, less straining

Noticeable difference. Eventually they will start making bike bike engines that are designed to run on ethanol based fuel, (newer cars are seeing MORE power when designed for e85)

In va we are 10% ethanol.

Bajaedition

I usually put in about 3 and a half gallons when it hits flashing. I think that is insane as if the bike is suppose to hold 4 and a half then why does it flash with a gallon still in there? Oh well guess accuracy in small tanks is hard to come by.

About octane ratings, that is the ability of the gas not to ignite till the spark is introduced. It has nothing to do with the amount of power the gas has. Why that is important is the higher the compression of the engine then the more you have possibility of the gas to pre-ignite. You can do a search and see what pre-ignition does to an engine, not a pretty site.
Our bikes are tuned for 87, they are not highly tuned, we have been tuned more for torque than high HP. So for everyday riding 87 will do, now if you plan to be up in the higher end of the RPM range all day, maybe you can use the benefits of the higher octane. I can not say for sure but it makes sense to me if you are thrashing the engine and running high temps then you may be able to use a higher octane gas. I did notice at the pump Wednesday that regular was 4.29 a gallon. OUCH, I was glad I could use 87. I normally go through 9 or 10 gallons when I ride so prices like that can scare me.

My only concern about running higher octane gas is if I were paying for the higher octane and the gas was not burning as well at lower RPM where I am at 95 percent of the time. Again not being an engineer I can not answer that.

So, I put regular in the 8 and premium in the sportster, makes sense doesn't it?
Life can be just too funny