How many gallons is a "full tank" for you guys?

eru000

I've usually been filling up my '12 FZ8 when it hits the last bar flashing (e.g. on empty and the F-Trip is running). It'll pump ~2.5 gallons (maybe a little more) to the bottom of the fill neck. I thought this thing is supposed to hold 4.5 gallons?

Unless they count the "reserve" as part of those 4.5 gallons, but still... 2 gallon reserve? Usually its a half-gallon and counted separately.

What're you getting per-tank?

Woody146

Banned
Yea..I'm pretty similar to that..fill up tank to fill line...ride until f trip..usually kicks on at 100 miles..get gas and it's only 2.4-2.6 gallons..more if I smash...don't want to push run out of gas..but I know the tank is 3.5 gallons with a 1 gallon reserve tank....soooo...we barely use half a tank....? One of these days I'm going to ride circles around a gas station and push it....a fellow members bike kicks on at 80 and is out of gas by 150 ( ran out a few times) but he has a power commander..I am running stock tune for now....anyone with a reflash want to chime in? Better, worse , or same mileage per tank?

I also noticed the other member runs 87...I run 91......so it's either the gas or the power commander..because I was smashing wayyyy more...or it could be the air box mod....one of those 3

eru000

Yea..I'm pretty similar to that..fill up tank to fill line...ride until f trip..usually kicks on at 100 miles..get gas and it's only 2.4-2.6 gallons..more if I smash...don't want to push run out of gas..but I know the tank is 3.5 gallons with a 1 gallon reserve tank....soooo...we barely use half a tank....? One of these days I'm going to ride circles around a gas station and push it....a fellow members bike kicks on at 80 and is out of gas by 150 ( ran out a few times) but he has a power commander..I am running stock tune for now....anyone with a reflash want to chime in? Better, worse , or same mileage per tank?

I also noticed the other member runs 87...I run 91......so it's either the gas or the power commander..because I was smashing wayyyy more...or it could be the air box mod....one of those 3

Glad to know I'm not alone. I *am* running with a JuiceBox, with a slightly richer mixture at most settings (especially lows). Though that should only affect miles per tank, not gallons per tank.

Yeah, one of these days I'll have to run it down to empty within a few blocks of the gas station so I can push it and figure out exactly how-far past empty I can go :)

P.S. fuel octane rating is completely irrelevant to fuel usage/economy. All it does is help prevent pre-detonation with high-compression engines, which ours is not. You should be fine with 87, unless your engine starts to ping, then increase the octane rating.

bikee4

So if 12 to 1 compression isn't high what do you consider high I know some supersports have higher like 13+ to 1 but a lot of other bikes that are also considered supersports have lower than ours?

eru000

So if 12 to 1 compression isn't high what do you consider high I know some supersports have higher like 13+ to 1 but a lot of other bikes that are also considered supersports have lower than ours?

Yeah, it's a little higher than most, but the owners and service manual calls for 87 octane, and I've had no problems with it...

Rotaryknight

mines normally fills about 2.6-2.8 gallons once Ftrip comes on

My ftrip doesnt start showing until I get to about 120 miles on the trip meter.
Completely stock other than the exhaust

Are you guys seeing ftrip when you start setting off from being parked? The gas level sensor needs sometime to reset itself when you ride after being parked angled. I noticed that when parked it will start flashing the last bar and ftrip comes on, but after riding 5-10 mins the fuel sensor resets to 2 bars and ftrips goes off.

I just fill up regular 87 octane when riding to work, but on the weekend I fill with 89 because I ride harder :) and also it stumbles and hesitate just a bit to be noticeable on 87 when I get on the throttle hard suddenly on the highway around 7-8krpm but not on 89.
Our bikes runs 87 even with higher compression pistons because the ignition isnt as advanced timed compared to othe supersports that have the same compression ratio. Its when you start advancing the timing maps is when you need to run higher octane.

Last edited:

alexk

Weekend Rider
If I fuel up within a mile of the light flashing, I get to put in about 3.1 gallons. I've never put in more than 3.6 - I really don't want to find out how big the tank really is. =p

eru000

Are you guys seeing ftrip when you start setting off from being parked? The gas level sensor needs sometime to reset itself when you ride after being parked angled. I noticed that when parked it will start flashing the last bar and ftrip comes on, but after riding 5-10 mins the fuel sensor resets to 2 bars and ftrips goes off.
Yep, happens to me, too...

I just fill up regular 87 octane when riding to work, but on the weekend I fill with 89 because I ride harder :) and also it stumbles and hesitate just a bit to be noticeable on 87 when I get on the throttle hard suddenly on the highway around 7-8krpm but not on 89.
Our bikes runs 87 even with higher compression pistons because the ignition isnt as advanced timed compared to othe supersports that have the same compression ratio. Its when you start advancing the timing maps is when you need to run higher octane.
Indeed you are correct. Though that stumble shouldn't really be affected by octane, unless is pinging a little when you roll on hard. That's more likely a fuel mapping issue, or a perception issue ;)

badgerbrraaap

Mine is stock and I run premium of whatever the gas station has (91,93). I don't see why not its only like $12 per fill up and the bike runs like a champ then. Sure the bike can handle 87 but why not give it what it likes when your talking about a dollar difference

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

badgerbrraaap

Also I'll get about 120-130 miles per tank. 2.7-3gal fill. That's running it for a little bit after it starts flashing. I give her the berries every now and then but otherwise ride normally

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Perron

When the F-trip comes on, I can easily easily put around 3 gal.

I also think like you Badger, I always take premium wherever I go.

pigdog

you should be able to go 150mi. between fill-ups & still have at least 1/2 gallon in the tank. that's another 18-20 miles based on a bike that gets 38mpg or so..

DanS

Commuter
I'm running the ECU flash and airbox mod. My mileage has gone down about 2 to 3 MPG. I'm averaging 30 mpg now. It usually takes between 3 to 3.5 gallons to too top off once the F trip comes on.

pigdog

danS, you should be able to go 120mi & still have 1/2gal. that's another 15mi before you're dry.

DanS

Commuter
danS, you should be able to go 120mi & still have 1/2gal. that's another 15mi before you're dry.
On rare occasion when I get on the freeway and go long distances I get much better mpg. Most of my riding is commuting to work and back and running errands around town, 8 miles to work with 8 stop lights and I usually hit em all on red :mad: always accelerating or braking.

kodoq88

On rare occasion when I get on the freeway and go long distances I get much better mpg. Most of my riding is commuting to work and back and running errands around town, 8 miles to work with 8 stop lights and I usually hit em all on red :mad: always accelerating or braking.

I got 33-35mpg average and same riding condition 8mile one way n 98% local. I thought I was the only one on here that has less than 35mpg

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk