Hot Shad Seat

Skiman

After 17K miles of an uncomfortable seat, I finally installed the Shad seat. Over this past weekend I put on 1K miles and can't figure out why I didn't make the switch sooner!
With that said....I do have one complaint. Has anyone else found that the Shad seat transmits more heat then the stock seat and if you have, what have you done to try and minimize that heat?

Skiman

Nothing to show in a photograph.
There seems to be more engine heat transmitted through the Shad seat then the stock seat. The shad seat is certainly thinner in profile and that may be all there is to the discussion , but...... thought maybe someone else had noticed this as well and came up with a solution for minimizing the heat transmission.

TorontoAlex

The fz8 sometimes get really hot under the seat its a common complaint. It happened with the stock seat for me as well and the shad doesnt seem any better or worse. I notice it more when sitting forward. Great seat though.

Teslank

i come back from a 3hour ride in traffic in montreal its over 30 degree celcius....

i have a shad too

my ass is in ****in pain!!! and its hot too... im wondering what i can do too!

im always irritated (monkey butt) when it gets too hot :(

Last edited:

Teslank

i had some time to spare on my bike, and bought some aluminium tape, and taped all the underside of the shad seat, lets see if it helps...

TorontoAlex

i come back from a 3hour ride in traffic in montreal its over 30 degree celcius....

i have a shad too

my ass is in ****in pain!!! and its hot too... im wondering what i can do too!

im always irritated (monkey butt) when it gets too hot :(

The monkey butt goes away if you go on frequent 2-3 hour rides. Youre not riding enough bro!!!

Skiman

Any chance of putting some of this stuff on the bottom-side of the seat?

https://www.designengineering.com/c...gineering-inc/heat-sound-barrier/reflect-gold

I've been looking at similar products online but I want to see it before I buy to make sure it's going to be applicable to what I'm trying to accomplish.
I've got a Hot Rod/Speed Shop close by work that I need to stop in at and see what they might have for use on a fire wall or such.
I notice someone else commented that the factory seat gets hot as well...I too noticed it but not nearly as bad as the Shad seat. I'll still take the Shad seat anytime over the stock.
Did 1Kmiles in 3 days and no complaints!

Teslank

just did a small ride., and its still ****in hot lol!

two things i have in mind; first not enough ventilation at the seat, second plus the heat under... bwaahhh

I checked out that gold heat reflective tape mentioned by Blackfin. I found it on Amazon for a decent price $30 for a 15' 2inch wide roll plus it had incredible reviews. So i ordered it lol it should be in Wednesday night. I'll post my results! Lets hope it does the trick.

Skiman

I checked out that gold heat reflective tape mentioned by Blackfin. I found it on Amazon for a decent price $30 for a 15' 2inch wide roll plus it had incredible reviews. So i ordered it lol it should be in Wednesday night. I'll post my results! Lets hope it does the trick.

While it's not "good" to hear.....I am relived that I wasn't the only one who noticed this.
Unfortunately I have been tied up with work and haven't gotten around to resolving this issue on mine.
Let us know how the gold heat tape works out as I'm curious!

So the tape has been applued to the underbody of the Shad seat. I'll be doing so longer rides soon and I will post my results. In my opinion its looks pretty cool too almost reminds me of space shuttle heat shielding! Haha. I didn't spend much time on it at all either and it still came out looking nice!

Can't beat that shad seat though, I wish I bought one sooner!

uploadfromtaptalk1441221628279.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441221643417.jpg

Finally took the 8 for a somewhat long ride today. I haven't been able too because I somehow managed to pull my intercostal/rib muscles, I didn't even know that was possible. The roads in RI are the WORST. The heat shielding seems to be working, I think. No swamp-ass for me just yet but who knows it might not have been a hot enough day or a long enough ride, either way I'm happy with my seat.

Skiman

Glad to hear some positive results on the heat tape applied to the underside of the seat!
Have to agree with you on the crappy roads in RI but then again, CT doesn't have the greatest either!