Highway Pegs

Satan666

What are R1 and R6 passenger pegs good for? FZ1 and FZ8 highway pegs!

In 2008 I made these puppies for my FZ1 after a few stints on Highway 101 in San Luis Obispo County. See GENII Highway Pegs - R1 Conversion - FZ1OA Message Board for the original story. If you ride over 45 minutes straight, at interstate speeds, you know what I am talking about.

The pegs allow a different seating position. It relieves the 'kneesles' somewhat. No, it does not make the FZ into an FJ, but it does give you a break. It is a lot better than trying to hang the knees over frame sliders!

The R1/R6 passenger pegs compliment the design and style of the FZ. When they are folded, the black painted pegs can hardly be seen! They blend right in to the visual 'noise' of the engine.

The pegs attach to the 'vestigial' front engine mount bosses on the crankcase. I center drill the Grade 10 flange bolts to bend or fracture during a 'grounding event'. In some cases, the pegs have acted as sliders, saving some replacement of other more expensive parts.

Initially, making the kit was quite labor intensive. It also required the purchase of used passenger peg sets at a reasonable price. Intermittently, I had to use a wait list. Since then, I have made a few changes which now allow for a more reliable production. I am trying to keep the $$$ midway between a cheap set and quality set of handlebar levers.

PM for details if you are interested.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
I'd like to see some pictures of riding position. This is interesting for long distance riders with bad joints.

lmracefan

Interested

I would be interested in knowing how much? Definitely need to change position on long rides to keep legs from cramping up.

beefcake morris

Wow these a pretty cool looking, how do they mount again to the engine. I don't plan on standing on them, but do you need to worry about how much weight you put on them.

Satan666

Q&A

Wow these a pretty cool looking, how do they mount again to the engine. I don't plan on standing on them, but do you need to worry about how much weight you put on them.

For photos of riding position go the YamahaFZ1OA thread in my first post.

The pegs mount on bosses cast into the crankcase. The lineage of the engine design goes back to the early R1. I am guessing that they were used as a frame mount. From the design of the boss, it is apparent that they were in place to support the weight of the engine.

I have personally used the pegs on an FZ1 for thousands of miles. Other than stunting (which I did not do), I see no use of the pegs which places standing weight on them. Although, I did stand on them to reassure myself that they would take the weight (meager in the scheme of things, I like to think of myself as 'svelte').

To address the concern of unintended 'grounding', I drill the mounting bolts to weaken them in the head area. In theory, the bolt will deform or fracture when faced with a large bending strain. In practice, the 6061 aluminum of the mount will also deform.

I have received feedback (and repair requests) from 6 'unlucky' riders. Four of them were cosmetic damage to the peg and clamp where the unit served as a 'slider'. One was severe enough to fracture the clamp and bend both the bolt and mount.

Only one event resulted in damage to the engine. This was a side-on (T-bone) crash where the bumper of pick-up directly impacted the highway peg. If you crash hard enough to break the engine casting, that item will likely be only a minor portion of the repair.

Currently fabricating kit #208. Only rarely will you see a kit in the FZ1OA classifieds. That is an indication of how well they work.

Oh, I also offer a full-satisfaction, full-return guarantee. So far, I have never had an engine-mount kit returned.

lancercanada

I made some for my bike, i did 2500kms in 3 days and it was well worth making. my buddys on there sport bike was all pissed cause i was crusing with no pain lol

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
I'm lazy and don't want to sign up for another forum on which I will probably never post. Will you please put up an image or two from the other forum for us that can't be bothered to enter our email in another text box?

Satan666

Oops!

I'm lazy and don't want to sign up for another forum on which I will probably never post. Will you please put up an image or two from the other forum for us that can't be bothered to enter our email in another text box?

Sorry, I forgot the forum photo limitation for non-members.

Please note that the bike is a FZ1. The standard finish is all-black, the natural is an option. The all-black do not photograph well, they 'blend in' to the point that it is difficult to tell they are installed.

I will again mention the fact that the placement does not make the bike into a 'cruiser'. It gives the knees, thighs and crotch a break as opposed to parking the bike and taking a walk.

chopstic

Will frame sliders get in the way of using these? The pics look like frame sliders might push against your calves with your legs in that position

Satan666

Frame Slider Clearance

Will frame sliders get in the way of using these? The pics look like frame sliders might push against your calves with your legs in that position

I had 2 different kinds of sliders on that particular FZ1. First were Shogun '07-'08 R1's (to use with the accessory fairings) which offset the barrels forward about an inch. The second pair were Shogun FZ1 with the 4" barrels.

The second pair came just forward of the shins when sitting close to the tank. I have about a 30" inseam. Foot position makes a difference. Some riders have mentioned resting their heels on the pegs.

Again, the pegs do not make the FZ1 into a cruiser, they give you a 2nd choice.