Hey yall, new member from Georgia (the state)

Hey guys, picked up an 8 on Saturday and figured the most important thing to do is to make friends with people with knowledge, that's you. I rode a 1996 CBR600 (smokin joe) back in college like 15 years ago so its been awhile since I rode on 2 wheels. To be honest I wanted the 09 but couldn't justify the price and power, not knowing if I will still be into riding. This thing has enough power for me to last a long time! The PO removed the cat and put a full 2bros black series exhaust, as well as a power commander V. He says he mapped it close enough because they didn't have one with cat removed. (BTW my first question is.. is there a map for an application this specific or can it be made?)

Anyway, this bike is heavy! Almost dropped it in my front yard backing off my truck. I think while re-learning its good to have a heavy one to keep me modest and safe so that's not a negative for me. I think mine is a special edition or something because its black with a gold fork, those don't seem to be very common.

One more thing I'd like to know is more on common issues or maintenance that I should do immediately and also a shop manual. Its a 2012 with 5k miles, original tires are ok I think (how can I tell?). I plan to change oil, check airbox for debris, check rear suspension and that rear arm problem, check brake and radiator fluids and maybe flush. I am going on a several day trip around the Blue Ridge Parkway in a couple weeks so I'd like to minimize potential problems. Any other general maintenance procedures I should plan on?

Nice to meet yall!

Welcome! Good to have a new member to the forum! Personally i don't have much to share regarding common issues and maintenance. I have had my 8 since new in 2013 and almost 20k miles in with just standard maintenance (oil,tires, brakes, and swapping out old fluids) and i haven't experienced any issues that i can think of. I do have a lot of info regarding mods, I've done a few Lol i go to my nearest mom+pop bike shop and they let me flip through the service manual, maybe give that a try? Otherwise there are some pdf copies floating around on the internet somewhere. You'll love the fz8 its an awesome bike.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cyclone85

I owned a 2012 FZ8 for 5 full years, and other than normal maintenance (fluids, etc), there is really nothing to watch out for. It's a weapons grade engine that is designed to go fast for a long time with no effort. You'll get sick and tired of that motorcycle before you wear out the engine or transmission.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

CrescentBunny

Hello and welcome! I bought my bike used with 25k. (It's a 2011) I'm not sure what all has been done to it so I went ahead and put in fresh fluids, oil change, and chain lube. I found a PDF of the manual online as the original one isn't with the bike. At least not that I've found. YAMAHA FZ8-N OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

I don't believe the black and gold was a special edition though, most the FZs I see are black and gold.

This thing is heavy though!! I'm 5'6" and it's real noticable when you can only toe touch!! Once it's up and going though, I love it's nimble-ness. I've already slowly dropped it on it's left side trying to do a kick stand turn because of that though. Boo. Got it back up without help though.

I hope you love riding it, so far I do even though I've only had it a few months. Safe riding man!

Last edited:

Mikz86ta

Welcome and congrats.
I have same exhaust, cat delete and PCV. Also a K&N, AIS deleted, Airbox MOD and anger other goodies. The PO tradedbit in and other than a short conversation with him and what the dealer told me, I didn't know half of what was done. But they did say it had a Dyno Time done to it. I know there is a map over on the PCV website that's specific for the 2bros exhaust. But not with cat delete. I plan on seeing what my map looks like and compare it to the 2bros one.
It's a great bike and only ever had one issue.
It's got a different powerband than a supersport. You will learn it and when you do you will have fun.
Like all bike's, there are some little complaints stock. There's some good mods out there to fix them. The PO did you a favor and invested in the pricey items.
I'd do an oil change and all your basic used vehicle checks. But they are very refined and stout bikes.

Some mods to consider. Upgrade seat as the stock one is a little hard and reports some ppl slide around. PO did the first FZ8 Luimoto seat on mine. Looks great.
R6 throttle MOD.....look it up. No HP gain but it comes on a little faster and the 'rest' hand position during cruising is far better. I have this MOD and love it.
Handlebar swap.....some prefer a different rider position and this type of bars are easy to change. Can be improved for looks or riding style. I have Renthal street low model.
Satan666 R1 rear shock adapter. Look it up. Makes for a better ride and adjustable rear shock that the stock one can't touch.
There's a bunch more too

Have fun and ride safe