Hello From The Ozarks

Zomax

Pillion
Thought I would introduce myself and offer a few observations on my FZ8. I am a 59 year old rider that came back to motorcycles after a 37 year hiatus. A few months back, my daughter was involved in a non-injury auto accident, and as a result, I gave her my car. Since my wife and I were now sharing a car, I thought I might test the waters and tell her what a great idea I had. I told her with the price of gas, and my limited needs for transportation, home to work - work to home, that a motorcycle would be a real money saver. I was floored when she said "that might work". Since she was obviously delirious, I thought I would take advantage and take the plunge. Within 48 hours, I had a 2012 FZ8 sitting in the garage. I took a motorcycle safety course, got licensed and insured and bought some gear.

Now for some observations.

I now have about 1300 miles on the bike, and for the first 500 miles, I was pretty much in fear every time I rode. Fortunately, there is a grade school nearby, and I spent about the first month just doing turns and the stop and go on the parking lot. After my 500 mile initiation, I began to get more comfortable and started analyzing the bike and its ride. I read message after message on this forum, made a few modifications - mirrors, levers and tail tidy. I adjusted my preload a few times (now one notch from the top), but just couldn't get the comfortable/stable ride I was after. I noticed that in the sweepers, I was always having to make small adjustments during the corner, I also noticed that the bike seemed to have some vibration issues (finger tingle after about 30 miles). Finally, the ride just seemed a little harsh/rough. I read all of the messages that discussed suspension likes/dislikes, and started thinking I might have to go the aftermarket suspension route. During this time, I had never once thought about the tires on this bike. I began looking at messages on this forum (and others), that discussed different tire brands. Based on some positive comments, I purchased a front/rear set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's. So, off to the dealer I go. My local Yamaha dealer (a good bunch of guys), did the tire change. When I went to get the bike, the mechanic said in addition to replacing the tires, they checked all cables and fluids and also tightened a loose motor mount (I can't say for sure, but this might have been a big issue). Anyway, within the first mile of leaving the dealer, I made a simple observation - LORD have mercy on my soul - this is a freaking completely different bike. I know the tires are not broken in, but this is now one comfortable ride, and after fifty miles, NO finger/hand tingle and moves through the sweepers like a dream.

Sorry for the novel, but I am seriously stoked on these Michelin's and tight motor mounts.

Zomax

F

Fazed

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum. I have never been a fan of bridgestone tyres and I can't wait to wear through this set to replace them with Michelin pilot road 3. Glad to hear your positive opinions on the michelin.