hello from michigan.

crispybacon92

just bought a 2012 fz8 with 0.0 miles on it 14 days ago this weather has been complete garbage but I've put almost 460 miles on it i love this bike. and it was a huge step up from my last bike which was a 2012 klr 650 i tell you what the pull on this bike is tremendous. i can not believe how fast it is then again I've never really had anything to compare it to. but i couldn't have asked for a better bike its very comfortable and rides amazing. I just ordered a leo vince slip on exhaust for it i bought frame sliders and a fender eliminator kit for it. if you guys have any suggestions on how to make this bike just a little bit better I'm open to any ideas.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Make sure you do some reading first so I don't get flamed lol but I'm looking into having guhlmotors reflash my ecu, there are a few threads on it. Basically your bike has quite a few electronic factory restrictions and safeties, the reflash will more or less allow the bike to run optimally, not more hp or trq (like 3 hp) but without the restrictions it should run like a bat from h#**. But warranty yadda yadda people will say ride ur bike first ect.... Just answering your question, not telling you to do it ;)

crispybacon92

the restriction thing your talking about is the little deice of metal in pipe that is like an old kraiger wheel has like five holes in it?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
If you look up guhlmotors in the search que, it talks about the ignition retarding in all gears and the secondary butterfly valves only opening when the bike hits a certain rpm. Your first set of butt flies in the intake tract are electronically opened and closed, the second (deeper) set are controlled by the throttle. Also I've seen Marthy directly post about this topic lol maybe again??

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Well, I say ride it, and if you want to go a little further I would look into A: ecu reflash B: power commander and look around and ask on the forum for a good tune(a few really good ones supposedly)

bfisch

We bought our bikes around the same time. Mine had zero miles and is also a 2012. However, your are slacking on your riding, because I have almost 600 miles now. Don't wanna hear your weather excuse because I'm from Ohio and you ain't all that far. Layer up! Even though you are from Michigan and its in my DNA to hate you, welcome! :p

To answer your question about making the bike better. Once you get your exhaust on you are going to notice the popping and back firing is 10x more noticeable. Some like it, but it wasn't for my taste. If you want to get rid of 98% of it do the AIS block off mod. Since you will have the bike tore down, you may as well do the air box mod as well. The bike sounds like a totally different machine. You can actually hear her breath. Those mods are free and a quick search on google will get you detailed instructions for both mods. Took me and my bro a couple hours to complete.

You can also go 1 down and 2 up on your sprockets which will make acceleration much better, but you sacrifice top speed. From my research you are looking at a max speed of 125MPH and crappier fuel mileage. Keep in mind you'll want a speedo healer because your speed and odometer will be noticeably off.

Of course as others have already stated, you can get your ECU reflashed, power commander and a proper dyno tune.

TwoWheels

Hey! Welcome! Another Michigander :) The weather was great this weekend and we're supposed to have a great week, so time to put a lot of miles on the new bike! I've got the mod bug too, but I'm waiting until I have a couple thousand on the odo before I start doing things more than cosmetic. But regardless, glad to have another person from around here on the forums! :welcome::wav:

crispybacon92

yea i like the bike how it is its a wheelie monster i bought my bike april 15th this year now that i recall im glad i bought this over the busa i was looking at just so everyone knows my buddy has the same bike as me lol. he doesnt really use the computer so he wont join the forum but hes down to ride