Heat?

Fazer 8

Anyone else find this bike really hot to ride when the weather is at all warm, like above 25C (~78F)? I'm sure it's worse with the Fazer, with the wind protection, and especially mine with the big Givi windscreen I have put on it. OTOH, the heat problem is mostly inside the legs and especially down in the shin/ankle area. I seem to be noticing it much more this year, which may be due to the big windshield. It's gotten so I almost can't stand to ride this bike when it's at all warm out, to the point where I'm now considering other bikes.

Bagman

Hey, bud. Sell me the GIVI screen. Did you get the smoked version? I have the same issue with my MRA screen (heat) so I ain't sure it is the screen. My arse, and inner things get nice and roasty when it's this hot out - especially when you're sitting in traffic and the bike's temps are consistently causing the rad fans to kick on (kinda blows heat at ya too). I've come home with pink thighs before, and once I went for a quick ride in shorts and thought this is stupid (can't even hug the bike with my legs. lol.

I myself am slowly inching towards a Versys 650. However, I still enjoyed the bike yesterday doing a poker run - minus the uncomfortable seat. Perhaps that will be my next mod.

Fazer 8

Hey, bud. Sell me the GIVI screen. Did you get the smoked version? I have the same issue with my MRA screen (heat) so I ain't sure it is the screen. My arse, and inner things get nice and roasty when it's this hot out - especially when you're sitting in traffic and the bike's temps are consistently causing the rad fans to kick on (kinda blows heat at ya too). I've come home with pink thighs before, and once I went for a quick ride in shorts and thought this is stupid (can't even hug the bike with my legs. lol.

I myself am slowly inching towards a Versys 650. However, I still enjoyed the bike yesterday doing a poker run - minus the uncomfortable seat. Perhaps that will be my next mod.

I do find I'm more comfortable riding with my textile riding pants on over jeans, even when it's pretty warm out. I guess I the insulation from the heat of the frame and engine beats out the cooling I get from riding in jeans. That only works if I stick my knees out in the air.

Yeah, I got the smoked Givi. It's a big sucker. We should get together for a ride sometime you can try it out. I'm seriously thinking about getting an FJ09, but haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.

I do think the big windshield has changed the airflow enough that it's pulling engine heat up more than before, making what was already a pretty warm bike even warmer. Might be because my last few rides were in jeans, too.

Mikz86ta

Wow, I have a naked FZ8 2011. Fans rarely come on cruising in Florida 90+* weather. Traffic, yes hot from other vehicles, frame does get hot so beware riding in shorts, plus road heat and fans on around 212*. But the open naked bike, the fans heat isn't directed at rider really. I guess in Florida, we adapted to heat better.
That being said, my girls R6.....when the fans kick on, the heat blows out the fairings on left side like super hot!

Soulbreeze

Inner thighs and crotch get pretty warm when riding sometimes. Can get pretty nasty when it's already hot out.

Never had a bike throw heat at me like this one does. The entire frame area around your legs just seems to start warming up as soon as the bike is turned on. Bet I'm going to love that in the fall though!

efzate

Also see "thread a few weeks back "New Owner from WI, USA. Few ?'s", this is something that quite a few of us encounter once the frame starts heating up and tries to serve roasted thigh for lunch.............................

Fazer 8

Engine temperatures appear to be OK.

I noticed the heat radiating up from, I'm guessing, the catalytic converter to my right foot/ankle the first day I had it. Yeah, the frame and even the gas tank get really warm after a while. I'm pretty sure my big windshield has also affected the airflow around the bike, I think I'll try going back to the stock screen for a while and see if that's a little more tolerable. This is as bad as my old ZG1000 Concours was, a bike that was known for its ability to cook shins and carry a bubble of warm air around behind its big fairing.

efzate

My temp is ok and hardly ever goes above 190 unless really hot day and I stop at lights etc. Fan kicks in appropriately aft about 214 (I think). For me it is only on warmer days (75+) when the frame has time to warm up that I can start feeling the heat radiating upwards. I may try engine ice as every little decrease in the running temp will help keep frame heat down.

Fazer 8

Took the big-ass windshield off my bike on Saturday before I headed out for a ride. Definitely seemed to make a difference in the perceived temperatures.

As I say, I suspect the large windscreen was creating a larger pocket of low pressure behind it, drawing even more of the hot air from the engine and rad upwards. Not to say that things don't still get pretty hot, around the frame and down by my right foot (heat from the cat con, I suspect), but it didn't seem quite as bad.

OTOH, now I remember why I didn't care for the stock screen - at higher speeds it puts a jet of turbulent air right at the bottom of my helmet. Very noisy at higher speeds. I worry about my hearing, as I already suffer from tinnitus probably brought on partially by riding motorcycles without earplugs, as well as loud music, machinery, etc, and I worry that even with the 30+ dBA reduction of the plugs I'm using, some noises might still be loud enough to cause more damage over time.

Soulbreeze

What's ur engine temps like?

Usually between 180 to 200 or so. Goes under 180 when running at around 60 mph in 6th gear for low rpms. I've seen it hit 214 more than once when riding through town. Fan kicked on at 212. Bike doesn't like screwing around at 30 mph for very long heh.

Faraz

I have been riding - when temps are around 100F. The bike does "warm" up - when passing through city traffic. But on open roads - its comfortable. Radiator fan kicks in at 212 and then shuts off when bike's temp drops to 198.

Wolf

I've noticed that the seat can sometimes get warm when it's hot out here (90-95*F). Aside from that the only issue I had was the one time I rode in shorts. So much engine heat on my bare legs. Never again.

KillerwhaleTRX

Anyone else find this bike really hot to ride when the weather is at all warm, like above 25C (~78F)? I'm sure it's worse with the Fazer, with the wind protection, and especially mine with the big Givi windscreen I have put on it. OTOH, the heat problem is mostly inside the legs and especially down in the shin/ankle area. I seem to be noticing it much more this year, which may be due to the big windshield. It's gotten so I almost can't stand to ride this bike when it's at all warm out, to the point where I'm now considering other bikes.
Mine is stupid hot after approx an hour of riding in 15-20 degrees celsius.
At speed it stays at 73 degrees but if i stop at a light i can see the temp rising really fast.
But, as said...it is hot AF even at running temp (73) Cant touch the frame and ass is burning up!

Located a higher spec radiator wich bolts straight in for 190€ and ill be getting some Evans waterless.....

Cheers