headlights? HID's? how bright?

mano1192

This is a good thread to start. Ive been thinking about it and I know others have been too. Im just going to do the low beam as I bever get to use the highs in city driving, but would like a 6k - 8k bulb. Lets start posting links to some HID kits.

summit8

I put a 6k high/low beam in mine from a company here in Vancouver. The bulb is the same, but when you switch on the high beam it pops the bulb further into the headlight housing and actually reflects the light higher. It's really neat. One thing I notice about it is road signs and anything else reflective really stands out. They're awesome for the city as well because the light stands out in traffic.

I will find a link to the guys site who I found, the whole setup is 75$.

I am not sure if it's the way my head light is pointed but I have only ridden a couple times at night and had to use my low beam the whole way cause I didn't find the high beam bright enough.... I am looking for a hid kit and at 75 bucks I am sure it would be well worth the investment .... Youo can see better and everyone else can see you better

Ozfazer6

Super Moderator
Just doing the HID bulb is not a good idead IMO ,the stock reflector will just scatter the light and blind oncoming drivers.
I installed HID projectors on my FZ6 and the difference is outstanding.

hypo

totally wanna go projector, of course someone has to build the light body or conversion kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

i dont know much about these hids! are they universal or do you have to make your own to fit your bike or does someone make model specific?

Ozfazer6

Super Moderator
i dont know much about these hids! are they universal or do you have to make your own to fit your bike or does someone make model specific?

They have an adapter on the back to fit a specific globe size so you just buy the one for your bulb fitment,so on the FZ6 I had to buy one H4 and one H7.

will you be doing this mod to the fz as well? i will have to look into it because my high beam going down the highway at night isnt very bright and well its very dark on the highways here! and well dark high way + canadian moose= bad!

summit8

The place I got mine from was Synmoto - Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

They're in Richmond, BC and sell the Bi-Xenon ones for 75.00... I think that's a pretty good deal!

I wouldn't recommend anything greater than a 6,000K bulb, otherwise it will be too blue. I think stock HID's (in cars) come in around 4,300K... that's probably your best bet. I think it looks ridiculous to have the really blue lights like some knobs put in their Civics and shit.

hypo

I'm starting to poke around at places that sell projectors and hid's to see if they'll bite off on chasing down building a kit out for the FZ8 since I don't see any out there yet (projectors.)

I really like the clarity and defined line of light from a projector and its gotta be doable. I have to wait for my wife to leave the house for an hour to see if the headlight case is something that can be opened or not... anyone playing with their headlight yet?

speaking of the headlight... anyone else see the decepticon emblem resemblance?

Last edited:

bambam

I have been riding at night a few times and for sure the stock lights are not bright enough. I went with 8K Bi-Xeon H4 bulb (w/High-Low) from KryptonBulbs. I am waiting for my Rizoma turn signals to come in and then will do all the wiring at once.. hopefully this will be the last mods for the bike for a while until I can find some decent mirror replacements.

I have to say the Angel Eye projectors look pretty bad-ass though. I would consider that if they came up with a bolt in kit.

hypo

the instructions are really straightforward. bake up the case, separate it. slap in the body, and reconnect the casing. Can't get any easier than that.... HOWEVER I am going to meticulously measure the space inside the headlight housing so I don't end up buying something that doesn't fit. ;)

Last edited:

mano1192

I'm may do this mod also, if your gunna take the plunge post some pics of the process, that would be slot of help to everyone as I feel this is going to be a popular mod.

hypo

I am ALL ABOUT screenshots and red arrows in IT troubleshooting, so I'll definitely be posting pics of the process.

pjaco

Banned
It is no problem to seperate the light house,but you should check the oven so the grill dont start:yes:
Maybe more safe with a heat gun do do it.:)
I did this mod on my FZ6 and the light was very good.
This was this kit.
SPORTBIKE LITES YAMAHA FZ6 04-09 HID PROJECTOR CCFL HALO EYES KIT

But after a year i saw they had sendt me 2 different bulbs.(One 4000K and one 6000K)

I tried to find 2 new bulbs and i got no help from sportbikelites so i order a new package from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications but then i sold it and change to a FZ8 with the same light.
I promised my wife not to start with this again but it looks not good with only one light in front.
Maybe i will do it again to the winter but i am not sure where i will order.

Last edited: