Headlight bulb comparison tested. Stock bulb, HID bi-xenon, LED high/low : PICS

dtbrown

Test update: May 18th. I was able to get out and test the LED's in a fairly dark area and I've come to the conclusion that with this specific kit the design of the bulb causes really bad light distribution. It's not focused well at all and even though the light is very bright (brighter than stock) the design of the bulb with how the placement of the LED's doesn't work. There is another kit that has a much better design that I wish I would have seen before purchasing this kit but I'll be trying that one soon to see if it's any better. So as of now back to the HID kit.

To start I know a projector retrofit will win when it comes to light spread for low and high beam and this comparison isn't arguing that. It's just a comparing between simple drop in light kits that are popular.

As everyone knows the stock headlight housing light spread isn't great for low beam and even worse when switching to high beam. I installed bi-xenon HID two years ago and it was an improvement with light output but still same issue as stock bulb when it comes to light spread. Going from low to high beam the light immediately in lower front of bike gets cut off. Even with adjustment of headlight it helped but didn't make it much better.

But overall have been pretty happy with the bi-xenon HID especially compared to stock bulb.

I wanted to try the LED high low kit with dual diode to see if it helped with the low/high beam light spread. You'll notice that there isn't a cut off line with the LED's but the light spread is better filled. I need to lower beam still but I like it so far. Haven't had a chance to take it on the road yet but will soon.

I'm not 100% sold on the LED yet until I test it on the road. Projector is still the best light spread, I'm just having fun with what's available to drop into the stock housing.

All photos from about 20 feet away. Sorry for not having the camera at the same angle every time.

Wall no night

Stock headlight low beam.

Stock headlight high beam.

Bi-xenon HID 5000k low beam

Bi-xenon HID 5000k high beam.

LED 5000k low beam.

LED 5000k high beam

Pic's of the LED kit with install

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
Niiiiice write up! Yea..I went stock..to piaa drop in bulb..to AHR retrofit...if that the Cree led? The light spread looks amazing on that in comparison.

Your led light spread looks like my hid light spread...that is very interesting to me

dtbrown

Niiiiice write up! Yea..I went stock..to piaa drop in bulb..to AHR retrofit...if that the Cree led? The light spread looks amazing on that in comparison.

Your led light spread looks like my hid light spread...that is very interesting to me

No not CREE. It's a COB style

What is COB?
COB (Chips on Board) is a new technology of LED packaging of LED light engine. Multi LED chips are packaged together as one light module. When it lights up, it looks like a lighting panel.

How COB LED light source works?
In COB lighting, single LED chips are placed directly on a circuit board (or substrate) which has thermal properties to disperse heat. Heat dissipation is a very important aspect of LED lighting since it can have a major impact on the life expectancy of the luminary. Therefore, COB lighting can have a higher LED chip density and achieve higher light level while maintaining or improving life expectancy.
Advantage of COB:
COB lights are a more efficient form of LED lighting for general or automotive lighting applications because:
- light has a more uniform appearance
- better life expectancy
- achieve higher light level over a large area
- COB is more stable and reliable than standard LED package

Willasan

This is very interesting, I've been looking into various lighting options using the stock housing. I'm excited to hear your thoughts after taking the LED out on the road.

dtbrown

This is very interesting, I've been looking into various lighting options using the stock housing. I'm excited to hear your thoughts after taking the LED out on the road.

Yeah me too. It's been very cold here in Chicago but I'll be out on Sunday or Monday. It actually snowed today. :/

TorontoAlex

Just wondering with the HID and LEDs what do you do if your bulb dies? I know a regular bulb can be found in any small town. Not so much with fancy LEDs etc.

dtbrown

Just wondering with the HID and LEDs what do you do if your bulb dies? I know a regular bulb can be found in any small town. Not so much with fancy LEDs etc.

I purchased a kit they has two bulbs. I did that for that exact reason. And if I needed to order one shipping is only a couple days. And this kit has a 90 day warranty.

HeresMyMind

that LED low beam output is HORRIBLE, so uneven, unusable light and wll be blinding others, dear god I hope you do a retrofit

-B

dtbrown

that LED low beam output is HORRIBLE, so uneven, unusable light and wll be blinding others, dear god I hope you do a retrofit

-B

Like i said this comparison isn't comparing to retrofit because we all know its the best light spread. I wouldn't say horrible. Better than stock with exception of uneven. I noted I still need to adjust light. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. If it sucks I'll just go back to HID bixenon which did a good job. Not interested in retrofit due to cost and since this is probably last year with the 8. But yeah I agree to recommend the retrofit for the best light spread.

Last edited:

HeresMyMind

There are ao many things wrong with that output. No not even close to as good as stock

Low beam output should be wide even and have light pointed no more than 35ft in front of the bike. That is all over the place and causes massive glare. The light isn't usable where it should be. The high beam function just gets brighter. High beams should produce light in a hot spot farther down the road less wide than a low beam. That is illegal. Dangerous. A waste of money. And yields no Benifit.

I would worry about blinding a car having it go into my lane and kill me. Even the pnp hid kit had a better uniform output and that causes glare

I'm not trying to be a dick but I don't think you under and anything about optics or how low beam/ high beams should be

Kudos for testingkt first. But I did warn another thread how poor of a decision this would be

-B

dtbrown

Yeah you do come of a little dickish. And I do understand how a light should work and that's why I'm having fun testing these. I updated my post because I was able to test outside and this specific bulb design doesn't work and it does have bad spread with no focus. The LED position on the bulb isn't right to allow proper reflection off the housing for proper alignment or distribution for high and low beam. Not arguing what your saying at all.

Again from the get go I said it was a test. I'm not saying this kit is worth it because it isn't. I'm sending it back and trying another one that is supposed to address this issue with a better design and position of the LED's. I'm just sharing info on product for other members. That's what this forum is for not to come here and put down and insult for Sharing info.

There are ao many things wrong with that output. No not even close to as good as stock

Low beam output should be wide even and have light pointed no more than 35ft in front of the bike. That is all over the place and causes massive glare. The light isn't usable where it should be. The high beam function just gets brighter. High beams should produce light in a hot spot farther down the road less wide than a low beam. That is illegal. Dangerous. A waste of money. And yields no Benifit.

I would worry about blinding a car having it go into my lane and kill me. Even the pnp hid kit had a better uniform output and that causes glare

I'm not trying to be a dick but I don't think you under and anything about optics or how low beam/ high beams should be

Kudos for testingkt first. But I did warn another thread how poor of a decision this would be

-B

Last edited:

HeresMyMind

aslong as u arent promoting that or using it in your bike! I just get really worked up over lighting because people like me and rabbitman have been doing this stuff for years. I'm always fixing things and explaining things to people that just dont get it, and throw 10,000k pnp kits in their cars/bikes. Atleast you tried it, realized it isnt good and arnt using it. good info to show others this ist the best choice for us

-B

bgpietro

Hi..may i ask something..I want to buy led 5000k lights for my fz8 (not the naked one),do you know some links where i can see them and buy..and also if you know the type of lamp where i must buy (H4,H7??)..Thanks!

Perron

Waste of money, didn't you see these aweful shots in page 1? It's better to keep it stock than putting the 5000k lights in the stock housing.. It's like putting some HID without projector... Dangerous for your life and for the other drivers...

dtbrown

Hi..may i ask something..I want to buy led 5000k lights for my fz8 (not the naked one),do you know some links where i can see them and buy..and also if you know the type of lamp where i must buy (H4,H7??)..Thanks!

Don't waste money on the led as the design I tested was a very bad design and light disbursement was everywhere. Some people won't recomend HID but I've been using then for 7 years in all types of vehicles and if adjusted correctly work very well. I'd recommend to at least get a bi-xenon HID kit as it'll work correctly and not blind people unlike if you get just a single beam HID which will spread light high and low.

Perron

Without going too much off-topic here, using HID without projector makes you light up everything.. You can't control the focus without projector. Don't go cheap with light setups. More focus = better vision for you + safety of the others

Attachments

• 4cxmEop.jpg
    4cxmEop.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 50

dtbrown

Without going too much off-topic here, using HID without projector makes you light up everything.. You can't control the focus without projector. Don't go cheap with light setups. More focus = better vision for you + safety of the others

You are correct but not 100% about HID without projector. Using an incorrect HID bulb in a stock light housing will do exactly what you showed above but buying a bi-xenon kit with high/ low and proper adjustment of the light housing works. If you look on the first post pictures it shows a bi-xenon kit with exact same light control as stock bulb. No argument against projectors because they will give you the best light control with halogen or HID. It's just unfortunate that most people due to price or not enough knowledge buy incorrect HID bulbs for stock light housing which essentially has brights on all the time. Again Projector best but bi-xenon can work with proper adjustment.

Incorrect HID bulb 41gRENgid-L._SY355_.jpg

Correct Bi-xenon HID bulb
HID-Bi-Xenon-Kit-High-and-Low-Beam-in-One-Bulb.jpg

Last edited: