Have you ever had a tire blow on your motorcycle?

Have you ever had a tire blow on you while riding?

• Yes (tell the story)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Why would you ask this, I get new tires every 2 thousand miles.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssky0078

Hi,

Another forum member was thinking about repairing a tire on his bike. I personally don't think I ever would for fear of it blowing and going down in a bad way.

So, this begs the question have you had a tire blow on your motorcycle and how did you manage the situation?

H

Hoover

I never have, but a mate of mine had a front one blow on his early 70's Bonneville at 65 mph.
The bike just quivered a bit and he was able to stop safely :eek:
I guess thats what happens when you make your bike frames from steel girders left over from skyscrapers :tard:

shredz87

Yes I did, in fact it was on a 2006 GS500f. I blew the front tire topped out at about 107 mph when it was about 40 degrees F outside in Phoenix, AZ. It was one of the most terrifying things i've ever been through. At first the bike just shuddered, but it very quickly started to violently death-wabble. All i could do was let off the throttle gently, feather the rear brake and lean back to keep as much weight off the front wheel as i could. Once i got down to about 55 it got back under complete control. The steering was really heavy but i managed to get her to the side of the road, albeit after almost causing a heart attack. Hope that was entertaining.

C

Camo

Never had a blowout but have gone to get on it and had flat tyres. Farking slow leaks!
I had a plug in the original rear on my 8 for nearly 5000km's, it was fine. Not that I'd recommend it for that length of time but there's nothing wrong with plugging up a tyre if you have to.

V

Vapordan

I've had a few. The memorable one was several years ago riding aggressive into a corner, leaned hard and just never came up. I just remember coming to a stop in a trench with the bike on the other side of the road. Couldn't figure out why I fell until I sat the bike up and saw the blown tire. The x-ray stains showed blood in my urine (kidney damage) but I didn't break any bones that time.

ssky0078

Yes I did, in fact it was on a 2006 GS500f. I blew the front tire topped out at about 107 mph when it was about 40 degrees F outside in Phoenix, AZ. It was one of the most terrifying things i've ever been through. At first the bike just shuddered, but it very quickly started to violently death-wabble. All i could do was let off the throttle gently, feather the rear brake and lean back to keep as much weight off the front wheel as i could. Once i got down to about 55 it got back under complete control. The steering was really heavy but i managed to get her to the side of the road, albeit after almost causing a heart attack. Hope that was entertaining.

Hey if you're in PHX PM if you want to go for a ride. I do ride with a bunch of noobs but its a good bunch of guys. So far we are 2 strong, 1 guy has a BMW g650GS, the other Fz6, and I'm waiting on a new to me Fz1.

Also, I wish you could explain to the guys that 107 in phoenix is not a big deal, LOL, a lot of our highways are wide open with minimal traffic.

shredz87

Hey if you're in PHX PM if you want to go for a ride. I do ride with a bunch of noobs but its a good bunch of guys. So far we are 2 strong, 1 guy has a BMW g650GS, the other Fz6, and I'm waiting on a new to me Fz1.

Also, I wish you could explain to the guys that 107 in phoenix is not a big deal, LOL, a lot of our highways are wide open with minimal traffic.

Yeah man that would be cool, just shoot me a message on here, i normally go riding at night, or on my days off (thursday friday) send me a message on here and we'll make it happen

Tango59

I had a TS125 (the blue one) years ago too. Had a rear blowout on a Yamaha maxium years ago. I was able to get it to the side of the road with little more than a pee stain.

cpatt

my buddy lost a front doing 75... luckily we just slowed down from 115mph.... tire just fell off the bead...... he rode it to the side... called and got a pick up truck there and went home... one of the scariest things ever... almost watched my best friend die

Geezer

Yes, two of them

Both were on tubed tires and when they went is was almost like a blowout. The first was on my XS-750E Yamaha with my then wife on the back. The rear tire went flat but I was able to get to the side of the road with no problems. The second was on my 2009 KLR where the front tire instantly went flat at 55 mph from mesquite thorns and I slid down the highway under the bike. Broke my shoulder in three places, broke my ankle and had a concussion. Yes, I was wearing a helmet, boots and Tourmaster jacket so I wasn't injured more. I now only ride bikes with tubeless tires and replace them before I really have too. Don't want to loose another year to hospital, rehab and recovery.

ssky0078

Both were on tubed tires and when they went is was almost like a blowout. The first was on my XS-750E Yamaha with my then wife on the back. The rear tire went flat but I was able to get to the side of the road with no problems. The second was on my 2009 KLR where the front tire instantly went flat at 55 mph from mesquite thorns and I slid down the highway under the bike. Broke my shoulder in three places, broke my ankle and had a concussion. Yes, I was wearing a helmet, boots and Tourmaster jacket so I wasn't injured more. I now only ride bikes with tubeless tires and replace them before I really have too. Don't want to loose another year to hospital, rehab and recovery.

Ohhh man, I'm sorry, that sounds brutal. Glad your ok and back on two wheels.