Has your bike ever been down?

Has your FZ8 ever been down, laid over, tipped over, etc.?

• Nope, she's never been down, knock on wood.

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Yup, unfortunately, yes she has.

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

AlCab

Seems like a lot of people's bikes have been down. Just curious what percent of the forum has dropped or laid over their bike.

I'll start - mine has never been down but then again, I have less than 400 miles on her. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

If your bike has been down (and that includes tip overs), please tell us how it happened.

JSP

Administrator
Not the FZ8.

My FZ6R though did. Rode it into the side of a mountain and dislocated my shoulder putting me in the hospital. Not fun. Went riding with only 1 hour of sleep after a night of partying. Knew I should not go. Pretty much spaced out on the bike and did not even realize I was in a corner until going through it and hitting the mountain side.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Fortunately No, But i'm sure it's just a matter of time. had the ass end slide actually twice. I instantly pulled over gave it a check not sure why.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I had one of those slow motion drops where you're stopped and the bike leans just a tiny bit past the point where you can hold it up. I have a 29 inch inseam which makes it hard. Fortunately there was no damage, no scratches or anything.

e11charlie

My FZ not yet. Only been down once. Had a 1973 sportster back in 99. On a group ride some stupid bitch laid down in front of me. It was either hit her and go over the cliff or lay it down. Laid it down and sent my 73 to its death 75 feet straight down.

shadowman

Not yet, but I've only got 400 kn on her so far. My last bike was down twice. Nothing serious at all, just embarassing. Once was standing still...slow motion...I can't hold it up...."Oh $hit!!" The other time the bike was parked in a fresh gravel driveway, on the centre stand, on a piece of wood. When I went to push it off the centre stand, it slipped off the wood, and over she went, away from me, on her right side. Another "Oh $hit!"

Lee_533

Yup. Got knocked over 2 weeks after I bought it. My buddy dropped it in the back of a truck, and it fell over in a trailer on the way back from a track day. No damage lol.

H

Hoover

I laid my Yammy RD400 2 stroke down. It was in 1984, I was riding back to my Army base at late o'clock on a Sunday night.
It was a cold, foggy, English night and I was taking the back roads.
I had, perhaps, indulged in a warming "cigarette" at my last petrol stop.

Then, out of nowhere, the road went tits up, and I ended up in a ditch.

Somehow, after I pushed the RD out of the ditch, straightened the bars and the shift lever, I was able to get it running and rode the last 100 miles to camp.

The only time I have ever dropped a bike.

Soooo, dont smoke "cigarettes" and ride in the fog...:disapprove:

ssky0078

Well guys prepare to either giggle or shake your head in dismay.

My Fz6 I dropped once while taking it off the center stand, just started to tip away from me and I couldn't catch it in time. Lesson learned - sit on the bike and rock it off the center stand.

Second time on the Fz6 laid it down after loosing the back end on some of that crappy pebble sized gravel in a corner, almost saved it but ended up on the shoulder and laid her into the hill rather than plunging 50-100 feet off the side into some rocks. Got the bike totaled out. Youtube reviewed it here

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5qVb-6vz4]Crash Review - YouTube[/ame]

Then I got my Fz1 and the morning after it got delivered went out for a ride with a buddy. Had a redneck hold my beer and watch this moment but was a motovlogger Hold my GoPro and watch me squid. Total squid, went to fast, froze and went off the road.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfaoOPJX1QE]Motorcycle Crash: How to Ride Like a Squid - YouTube[/ame]

The second crash hurt and I scared the eff out of myself. I have calmed down since then and have about 350 miles of seat time without incidence.

I'm definitely getting a rough start to riding, but I love it, and the bug has bitten me hard. You can save all the harsh comments as I've been beaten up for it already. I'm taking the Advanced Rider Course in 2 weeks and have just been focusing on all the basic safety stuff since the second crash. I've been paying that a$$hole tax because I'm fixing up the bike from my second crash on my own without using the insurance because I'm affraid they'd drop me for 2 crashes in 5 weeks.

Last edited:

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Cracked the throttle leaving a parking lot, turns out I wasn't out of it yet.
Gravels a bitch.:rolleyes:

C

Camo

My Fz6 I dropped once while taking it off the center stand, just started to tip away from me and I couldn't catch it in time. Lesson learned - sit on the bike and rock it off the center stand.

Second time on the Fz6 laid it down after loosing the back end on some of that crappy pebble sized gravel in a corner, almost saved it but ended up on the shoulder and laid her into the hill rather than plunging 50-100 feet off the side into some rocks. Got the bike totaled out. Youtube reviewed it here

Crash Review - YouTube

Then I got my Fz1 and the morning after it got delivered went out for a ride with a buddy. Had a redneck hold my beer and watch this moment but was a motovlogger Hold my GoPro and watch me squid. Total squid, went to fast, froze and went off the road.

Motorcycle Crash: How to Ride Like a Squid - YouTube

The second crash hurt and I scared the eff out of myself. I have calmed down since then and have about 350 miles of seat time without incidence.

I'm definitely getting a rough start to riding, but I love it, and the bug has bitten me hard. You can save all the harsh comments as I've been beaten up for it already. I'm taking the Advanced Rider Course in 2 weeks and have just been focusing on all the basic safety stuff since the second crash. I've been paying that a$$hole tax because I'm fixing up the bike from my second crash on my own without using the insurance because I'm affraid they'd drop me for 2 crashes in 5 weeks.
So, you wrote off a 6.... Then decided the next best step was to buy a 1?
I'm sure you've copped plenty but mate, you can't learn when you're dead! The 1 isn't ever going to be very forgiving when you play in the twisties with a ham fist.
Get some leathers and get on the nearest track!
Be safe out there.

aj700

not the fz8.
but yes, I had a small yamaha 125 years back and it went down from an unfortunate incident and I ended up in hospital/bed for 3 weeks. :( literally shook mine and my family's confidence. but then I jumped back into two wheeler after almost 10 years to make my self feel brave. :tup:
drive safe.
/Aj

Blindy2001

I haven't been down on my fz8 however I have been down twice on my sv650 and totaled my gsxr 1000. The first crash was me following too close to a pickup truck and the driver slamming on his brakes to make a turn into a driveway he almost missed. I ended up hitting the tailgating with the tail of my bike up and over. The second crash was me being stupid on a cold tire and washed out in the turn around at the end of my street. And my last crash was riding a Gsxr 1000 in the rain. Coming around a corner and not really sure what happened maybe a little too much throttle, all I know is the back end came around and I woke up shortly after in the middle of the road with a bike leaking oil not too far from me. Remember kids always wear a helmet and leather, I have been lucky enough to walk away from all of then with barely a scratch.

W

WARPTH

Crash Review - YouTube

After your bikes fixed, can you get a faster friend with a cam so we can catch your next stack on video? All we got to see that time round was a roost and some guy taking a rest with his bike. :p

D

Deleted member 438

I've been good with the 8 so far. I did dump my first bike, a cbr f4 2 times riding, and once I forgot to put down the kickstand.

ssky0078

So, you wrote off a 6.... Then decided the next best step was to buy a 1?
I'm sure you've copped plenty but mate, you can't learn when you're dead! The 1 isn't ever going to be very forgiving when you play in the twisties with a ham fist.
Get some leathers and get on the nearest track!
Be safe out there.

Agreed. First step is the MSF Advanced Rider Course on the 2nd. Then the Total Control I class in March. Total Control II in April. Then the track in May.

This last off scared the crap out of me. I hit the tank/tank bag so hard I was worried I burst my spleen for 2 days (the best part is I'm a doctor and have treated a lot of patients with chronic issues from motorcycle accidents, even an amputee with phantom pain)

After your bikes fixed, can you get a faster friend with a cam so we can catch your next stack on video? All we got to see that time round was a roost and some guy taking a rest with his bike. :p

LOL, I know right. I'm actually considering doing a lot of long mileage on my own. I think for some reason when I'm with a friend I do dumber stuff, but the fear of going down by myself and not having help there keeps me a little more under control. There is a riding group by me, but they all haul ass because half of them have radar detectors. I kept up with them on my 6 but am affraid to go on the 1 because that margin of error is so much smaller.

H

Hoover

Crash Review - YouTube

I'm not sure what to say...So I wont :deadhorse:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Haven't dropped my 8 yet... but this spring i am removing the training wheels, then we will see if i can keep upright.

B

bren

My 8 sort of went down. Was at a petrol station doing a 180 degree turn at the pump, put my foot down and it slid in petrol/diesel. Caught the wait of the bike just before the ground but scratched one bar end, and the tip of my mirror. Lucky!!

I did go down on my nina zx6r tho. Was going around a medium bend in the dead of winter. Tyre was cold and wet wet. Bike slid out from under me. Smashed my hip into the road but was ok. Just tissue damage and a bruised ego lol. Broke the brake lever, brake pedal, scraped the side fairing.
Ordered a monster racing body kit from Hong Kong and replaced the broken bits and she looked better than new!
Scared the shit out of me tho cos I wasn't doing anything stupid mans was only doing 40kms!