Hard starting

crashinsux

Hey all. Sometimes my FZ8 has a hard time starting up. The starter will just turn over without starting, sometimes as long as 10 seconds. It's almost like it's not getting any gas. Temperature and time between starts doesn't seem to be a factor. I took it to the dealer and they told me that was common on some models. I'm not sure if he's full of crap or if that is really true, I've never been impressed with that dealer but it's the only one in town. Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody else was having this problem. Ride safe.

hypo

haven't seen that yet. you up in Reno area? or down in LV? or BFE? ;)

mine usually cranks before I get to 3 mississippi.

crashinsux

I'm in Reno. I had an FZ6 and that started right up with no hesitation at all. I'm gonna take it back and have them check it again. That just doesn't seem right.

mano1192

THis is common on this bike, it gets better after breakin. There is another thread on this somewhere around here. Just hold the starter a second or two longer than you would normally and it fires right up. 10 seconds is not common though, mine usually only took 2-3 seconds.

casefc3s

Mine does the same in cold temps, and it was indeed harder to start when I first got the bike than it is now. Also had a pretty rough idle for at least the first thousand miles or so on cold start, but seems much better now. Lots of Nevada folks around I see, but I still haven't seen another FZ-8 on the road!

mano1192

Mine does the same in cold temps, and it was indeed harder to start when I first got the bike than it is now. Also had a pretty rough idle for at least the first thousand miles or so on cold start, but seems much better now. Lots of Nevada folks around I see, but I still haven't seen another FZ-8 on the road!

Me neither, what side of Vegas you from? Want to hit the red rock loop sometime?

casefc3s

Definitely, just let me know when you want to go, although I do want to wait until I get my frame sliders in/installed (they're already ordered). Better safe than sorry. :)