Grip Glue

Tix

So my Oxford Heaterz grips just broke free while riding.

Anyone know of a good grip glue that will bond rubber and plastic, survive high temps, and not break free after repeated hot/cold cycles?

MotoZen

Did you use the included super glue? How long have you had them? I just put mine on and the clutch side was so tight that I didn't even use the glue.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Tix

Did you use the included super glue? How long have you had them? I just put mine on and the clutch side was so tight that I didn't even use the glue.

The grips have been on the bike for ~3 weeks. The supplied superglue worked great until today.

My grips slid on with only a little effort on both sides. I was told this could happen; but I also figured if I turned the grips on before installing, the heat would cause the grips to expand and that should give me extra clearance.

I've spent the last 30 minutes reading about various glues. The spray OdinSon was talking about has several reviews on the Harley forms, yet they weren't being used on heated grips. I just don't want to find myself in this situation again, if the grips heat up and break the glue bonds.

TorontoAlex

I used 600fhigh temp gasket sealant and same happened last week. I asked on advrider and they say superglue. I guess not eh!

MotoZen

Hairspray....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

x2. Haven't had one problem after installing my ProGrips with hairspray.

Do you guys know that this will work on heated grips? The instructions are somewhat specific about using a glue that will be able to handle the heat cycles. I'll have to find my install sheet to see exactly what it says.

Woody146

Banned
I've used renthal grip glue on all three sets on the 8 and like 20 sets on my dirtbikes..never had any issues...never tried heated grips though..

MotoZen

I've used renthal grip glue on all three sets on the 8 and like 20 sets on my dirtbikes..never had any issues...never tried heated grips though..

The concern would be that heat cycling the grips causes them to expand and contract more than normal. The grips also seem to be made out of a harder material than most that I've used. I actually don't like how hard they are, but that's a whole different story.

toothycardus

+1 on renthal grip glue my heated grips have been stuck with this and there still on strong after over a year of use

Tix

I spent some time in Home Depot last night and settled on some DAP glue.
It claims to bond plastic and rubber and it was rated to over 300F.

I applied A Lot of this stuff to both grips and then zip-tied them to ensure they were held in place, nice and tight.

I will take her for a spin later tonight and let you guys know if it worked.

Tix

The DAP Glue is a total joke. It didn't hold up at all. lol

I've been looking up renthal grip glue, but I cant find anything that states what its made of. I'd like to know if its just another "Super Glue?"

Anyway, looks like I have a mess to clean up before I can apply any glue to these grips.

Woody146

Banned
The DAP Glue is a total joke. It didn't hold up at all. lol

I've been looking up renthal grip glue, but I cant find anything that states what its made of. I'd like to know if its just another "Super Glue?"

Anyway, looks like I have a mess to clean up before I can apply any glue to these grips.

I've been looking too..nothing..bottle and package is pretty blank...but..8$ isn't too much to gamble with...I think it will work out for you

TorontoAlex

Maybe a mechanical bond would help. It sounds silly, but scoring the handle bars as well as the inside of the grips could help with something like rtv gasket sealer.

Also another consideration is how you've cleaned your bars and grips. I cleaned mine with mineral spirits and alcohol. I think the mineral spirits could have impeded the bond. I could still smell it after washing with alcohol. Mineral spirits are an oily feeling solvent (for oil and grease) that evaporates slower than alcohol. I figured alcohol could get it off but probably didn't.

I just googled the subject and aparently acetone, toluene and xylene are "drier" solvents so that may help in cleaning the rubber and metal a bit better. Try that then dry for an hour or so, then try whatever glue. That will be my next move.

Tix

Well first off, I'd like to thank everyone for their time researching this with me.
It's always the simple, small things that seem to get in the way...

After a lot of reading, I ended up buying some JB Weld. Everything has been cleaned, surfaces received a good deal of scoring, and the grips have now been re-glued.

Lets hope I never have to remove these grips, because they are stuck there for good! :)

A test of the grips showed they still get nice and hot, so it looks like I'm GTG.