great commercial for lane filtering.

ssky0078

Considering that less than 5% of motorcycle accidents are from the rear, yet 33% of the fatalities (my stats may be off a little I didn't look the study back up.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRY7RxMF1g]Motorcycle Lane Filtering -- Why It Should Be Legal -- Maurice Blackburn Lawyers -- Stop SMIDSY - YouTube[/ame]

n00b

Avid Rider
I have no data to back up my opinion, but I have no idea how that can be safe. IMO any time you are some place that cars are not expecting you, your chances of getting hit go up.

Just a gentle bump from a car will send you off your path... and since presumably you're doing this around slow moving cars, you'll be kissing another car traveling at a much lower speed.

b-eock

Cali has wider lanes allowing lane splitting. Its actually very beneficial. There was a study done over it and the number of rear ends (cars into motorcycles) was reduced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

n00b

Avid Rider
Cali has wider lanes allowing lane splitting. Its actually very beneficial. There was a study done over it and the number of rear ends (cars into motorcycles) was reduced.

no increase in other forms of accidents?

MotoZen

It can also alleviate some traffic I'd assume.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

b-eock

no increase in other forms of accidents?

Well not really. Besides the idiots that do it dangerously and they already do that, so you can't really call it an increase...

ssky0078

These guys estimate a significant reduction in traffic, as well as if it was safer for motorcyclist and more start doing it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU]How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good - /RideApart - YouTube[/ame]

DSmith

my first 2 wheeled purchase was a 49cc scooter. the law in my state says you can ride anything 49cc and under on the side of the road in the bike lane past traffic. even though i was in the right, i was shocked at the number of people who woud see me in the mirrors and try to block me off or start screaming at me when i would pass. I agree motorcyclists should be able to lane split, but itd be a big transition for the cagers. I could see some riders getting hurt by road rage assholes who dont know the laws if this one were to change.

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Sadly the ragers would be an issue and while that is a safety concern it's not really an issue directly from the action we'd be allowed, it's an issue by the mentality of America.

RoadKill

road rage is a big problem in the USA unfortunately. but lane splitting is safer and that's a no brainer.

FZ8.UK

over here

splitting is not illegal, i personally do it, but after years of experience i do it cautiously,

As most drivers will make a contious move out of the bikers way,
But there is the odd TWAT who doesn't like the fact you don't have to wait and are making better progress than he is, Sadly they are impossible to spot,

I find if it is done at a respectable, safe pace, then you are given room, if you speed like a Numpty it pisses drivers off, and the gaps close up on you,

A friendly thank you wave as you pass makes the drivers feel appreciated

Ride safe out there

cxa0897

I do it when the opportunity presents itself, mainly on our interstates, even though it isn't legal. Most other highways around here are not built with any excess width, and there's too many exits, so people are merging and cutting over all the time. On the interstates, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be able to split, when theres a few feet of space in between cars. It definitely alleviates some traffic flow issues, and I feel far more comfortable being in control of my fate than hoping the guy delicately balancing drinking his mocha latte and driving behind me in traffic, all while sending a text. There is the occasional ass that tries to cut you off, but its not usually an issue.

Most cagers I talk to however, seem to hold the same perception of splitting. They believe its an irresponsible move, despise us for it, and would willingly block our path, whether or not its dangerous. I have never spoken with a single person that said they would yield some space for a splitter.

FZ8.UK

thats pretty

Sad of the drivers CXA, over hear driver actively move over for us if there is a queue of cars, as you pass some even wave,

When they move over i always give a thanku wave, and don't go past them hell for leather, i wonder if they wished they were on a bike and not have to queue

if we think about it, what harm are we doing, so long as we do it respectfully and safely,

ride safe out there

rug_burn

Here in So Cal, best to do it with care, and the unofficial rule of "no more than 10mph faster than the cars" is good practice. I usually either wait for people to see me if it's a tight fit, or pass before they can react, because occasionally you will have that a*hole who wants to block you.

ssky0078

Here in So Cal, best to do it with care, and the unofficial rule of "no more than 10mph faster than the cars" is good practice. I usually either wait for people to see me if it's a tight fit, or pass before they can react, because occasionally you will have that a*hole who wants to block you.

It's illegal for them to block you. At least that's what the guide says. +

View attachment 2798

goonanc

not legal here in NC, as an expat i just do it. strange laws, why not?
my dad came over and we rode, he scared the beegeezuz out of me with his "understanding" from the UK :eek:) don't really do it much in moving traffic but in summer 80+ in gear, at a light, i will make my way, slowly, toward the front. i try to make eye contact in mirrors etc. it's great low speed practice! ride friendly