Gravity bike

e11charlie

While on the topic of safety, does that new seat mount have a brace or it just an elongated U shape over the rear tyre? I can't quite make out in the photo. I would run an addition support from the new seat mount to the old seat post, so you form a nice triangle. Just my 2 cents

The old seat post has a brace running from there to the bracket I made over the tire. It's attached in 3 positions the old seat post, the right side and left side. It's really solid. I have thought about the brakes. Don't plan on going too fast yet. I want to get the design of the bike down first before I start putting that much money into it. Right now I only have $110 into it.

Last edited:
F

Fazed

The old seat post has a brace running from there to the bracket I made over the tire. It's attached in 3 positions the old seat post, the right side and left side. It's really solid. I have thought about the brakes. Don't plan on going too fast yet. I want to get the design of the bike down first before I start putting that much money into it. Right now I only have $110 into it.

That's cool, it's hard to see in the photo's. Great work then :)

e11charlie

Holy shit it's fun as hell. Got up above 45mph. Needs some refining as far as where my knees go. Fix the problems then find another nice road.

shadowman

Holy shit it's fun as hell. Got up above 45mph. Needs some refining as far as where my knees go. Fix the problems then find another nice road.

I've had my regular road bike up to that speed (+70kmph) going down a local hill. The pavement was a bit sketchy... scary as hell!!:eek:
Sitting up that high, on skinny little tires, wearing a retarded bicycle helmet, shorts and a t-shirt, I was too afraid to touch the brakes to scrub off any speed!
Quite a rush, but I'm too old for that shit anymore.

e11charlie

So here's the test run. It's a must to get rid of that bicycle seat. Going with a banana seat and refining the seat braces. Got the knee set up squared away. This weekend do it again. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di__Q3p0_u8"]Gravity biking - YouTube[/ame]

e11charlie

Flip flops and a condom. Kidding. Full riding gear. Riding pants (or jeans and knee/ ankle pads), riding boots, jacket, helmet, and gloves. Probably why I was getting weird looks.

e11charlie

So finished with the refinements. Seat strut is strengthened with L-bars. Fixed the knee placement issue. Peddles are fixed upward at the perfect height for the knees. Banana seat is so much more comfortable. Now all my weight is on my feet and knees so handling will be a hell of a lot better. Next I will probably paint everything. View attachment 1493

C

Camo

Can you drag a knee and get off the side a bit to prevent massive lean angles in high speed cornering ya reckon?

e11charlie

I was actually wondering about the lean camo. I don't know that leaning off would be a good idea. I would think the gyroscopic effects of the wheels would be less on a bicycle due to less rotating mass. I would think it would not want to stand itself back up after a good lean like a motorcycle does. Guess I will have to start experimenting with it. Sinclap I know I had a similar one on my chopper bicycle in the 80s. It was the only seat I could find that was halfway comfortable.

D

Deleted member 438

I was actually wondering about the lean camo. I don't know that leaning off would be a good idea. I would think the gyroscopic effects of the wheels would be less on a bicycle due to less rotating mass. I would think it would not want to stand itself back up after a good lean like a motorcycle does. Guess I will have to start experimenting with it. Sinclap I know I had a similar one on my chopper bicycle in the 80s. It was the only seat I could find that was halfway comfortable.

The guy in the first video you posted was sticking it, and was close to dragging.

e11charlie

The guy in the first video you posted was sticking it, and was close to dragging.

I thought about that. Those are custom made frames they sit much lower. Lower center of gravity I would think the gyro effect of the small tires wouldn't have to work as hard on those. Maybe I am not thinking about it right. If someone has better knowledge please chime in. Damn it now my brain is running.

e11charlie

Finally got the video done. It's fun as hell. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irw-5PTNbVs"]Gravity Bike - YouTube[/ame]