Good all around jacket and gear

Dom83

I need to buy a new jacket . I'm in canada (Montreal) and start to ride in april at 5-10 degrees (low 40) and finish it in late november last year at 0-5 degrees (low 30). My commute is about 1h-1h15 (120 km) depending of my mood lol and traffic. I don't have the bling to buy two jacket (winter and summer) so that's why I'm asking to you fellow for advice and expertise. This is my first bike jackets since last year I rode with a every day jacket and didn't like it.

I came up with the scorpion hat trick jacket...it has three layers (protection, rain, heat) all removable. 230$ from revzilla but i'm wondering if it's comfy in summer...anyone knows about that????

Or anyone have better idea?

As for the boots, I was thinking of alpinestars fastlane shoes, any advice?

TallGuyNW

I wear a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 jacket, and it's a good three-season jacket. It also has three layers - a removable fleece vest liner for brisk days (I've ridden in 32-34 degree mornings and was not cold whatsoever) and then you can remove the outer shell of the jacket and just wear the mesh jacket when it's hot. For me, it's comfortable to about 90 degrees while you're riding. Like most jackets in the summer, it does get pretty warm when you're sitting at a light. It's also around $230 at Revzilla. Hope this helps.

Benjobiker

I don't know about anyone else but I have the four season Dianese Terren jacket of of revzlla and I am absolutely impressed with it. I have ridden for 40 minute commutes in -4F and I was comfy. Now I am in 80 degrease and have taken out all the layers and haven't even opened the vents yet and I am perfect. Definitely steep but you get what you pay for. Amazing jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
I have a Joe Rocket True North, it fit me the best out of the ones I tried. I haven't used it yet, but I pick up my Fazer this Saturday, so I can give a review once I've ridden with it...

e11charlie

Just picked up a street and steel Anarchy jacket. Armor in shoulders, elbows, back, and lumbar area. Comes with a removable zip up hoodie. Road this week at 35f and was plenty warm. Exception being my hands, I need decent cold weather gloves. It's wind proof but has plenty of vents for summer.

Dom83

thx all of you...good advice!

I like the option to remove layer to adjust to weather!

I added the alter ego from joe rocket to my list, but I need to find a store where I can try them on!

the alter ego and hat trick are more my style than the other.

Tallguy : what gloves do you wear during your low 30 commute?

canader

I also have the alter ego. I rode until they salted the roads last year in Ontario. It's very good and if you buy a base layer you can stay warm between 1 and 5 celsius. My problem is a pair of gloves that stop my fingers from numbing.

tiki

thx all of you...good advice!

I like the option to remove layer to adjust to weather!

I added the alter ego from joe rocket to my list, but I need to find a store where I can try them on!

the alter ego and hat trick are more my style than the other.

Tallguy : what gloves do you wear during your low 30 commute?

I ride enough when its cold out, so I got these, and they do a decent job
Rukka Lobster Gore-Tex Gloves - RevZilla
only problem is they're not really a 3 season glove ( not that I think they exist)
the other thing i've seen people around here do is use
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-heated-glove-liner
inside whatever gloves they happen to wear.
A friend of mine uses the Rukka's + the gerblings (he got the heated jacket too) and rides pretty much year round. Crazy bastard.
also gerbling does make a heated glove also, which is rated pretty good. I guess a lot of people on revzilla didnt like the liners because they were bulky/uncomfortable
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-g3-heated-gloves

Last edited:

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
Last edited:

Dom83

How about in summer? Does the air flow is enough to keep you cool during hot days?

I also have the alter ego. I rode until they salted the roads last year in Ontario. It's very good and if you buy a base layer you can stay warm between 1 and 5 celsius. My problem is a pair of gloves that stop my fingers from numbing.

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
Most Joe Rocket textile jackets have a good ventilation system and mesh liner to help.

I think that GP had alter ego jackets in the clearance section... I didn't look too hard... when I saw the clearance prices I couldn't bear to look anymore because I was disheartened that I paid about $40-50 more when I bought my true north jacket and alter ego pants just down the street from GP at royal distributing 2 months ago...

TallGuyNW

Tallguy : what gloves do you wear during your low 30 commute?[/QUOTE said:
When its cold, I wear these gloves: REV'IT! Element 2 H20 Gloves. My commute isn't too long, and sometimes my fingertips are cold, but they are super comfortable.

TheDogsWeed

I found that wearing my Marmot jacket underneath my mesh jacket and then my rain jacket over the mesh jacket provides plenty of warmth and versatility. A* GP-R something something. :cool:

iheart2drift

I need to buy a new jacket . I'm in canada (Montreal) and start to ride in april at 5-10 degrees (low 40) and finish it in late november last year at 0-5 degrees (low 30). My commute is about 1h-1h15 (120 km) depending of my mood lol and traffic. I don't have the bling to buy two jacket (winter and summer) so that's why I'm asking to you fellow for advice and expertise. This is my first bike jackets since last year I rode with a every day jacket and didn't like it.

I came up with the scorpion hat trick jacket...it has three layers (protection, rain, heat) all removable. 230$ from revzilla but i'm wondering if it's comfy in summer...anyone knows about that????

Or anyone have better idea?

As for the boots, I was thinking of alpinestars fastlane shoes, any advice?

I buddy I work with just bought a heated jacket liner. He says it's excellent for cold days. He doesn't even wear any special pants or anything because the heater works so well on cold days.